Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
AHHH!!! Some people!!!
beckie_33 posted:
My boyfriend is deaf and it would be nice to have an interpreter at my doctors appointments and at the birth. I called medicaid today to see what it would take to be able to get an interpreter and the woman on the phone say's "He doesn't have to be there with you."

WHAT!!! I know that and he knows that but he wants to be with me and I want him there. It is his child and he has every right to be at my doctors appointments and at our baby's birth.

Medicaid won't pay for an interpreter because i'm not deaf and because my boyfriend doesn't have to be there with me. What am I supposed to do when I deliver and if there are complications and I am unable to interpret for my boyfriend?

iceechic responded:
wow thats crazy! with your bf being dea is there anyone in his family that could translate for him, some one close to you guys? Or maybe call around and try and find a translator locally that wont over charge ou since medicaid wont cover it.

scperdomo7 responded:
I understand it must be frustrating for you and I'm sorry you are having to deal with this stress at an already stressful time, but seriously, it's Medicaid - do you really think they are going to pay for something that they don't absolutely have to? Of course not!

What you need to do, is find a friend or family member that you will be comfortable with having in the delivery room there to interpret when necessary. I can't imagine that there isn't someone between the 2 of you that would be willing to be there for you both in this situation.

Best wishes, it'll be okay!

beckie_33 replied to iceechic's response:
I wish we did have someone. My bf isn't close to his family and they don't live very close. I don't have many friends close by that know ASL so that doesn't help me either. That's why I called to see if Medicaid could provide an interpreter. It's just frustrating.

scperdomo7 replied to beckie_33's response:
Have you checked with the actual hospital? Maybe they might have someone on staff who is familiar with ASL. Or even when you go in for the birth, ask if there is someone available who could interpret.

At the very least, your boyfriend can read, perhaps you can have a friend or family member there just as an extra set of hands to jot things down to keep him in the loop.

I'm sorry you are going through this, hopefully you guys can figure something out that works for you.

iceechic replied to beckie_33's response:
I could only imagine how frustrating it must be for you, I am so sorry you must go thru this. scperdomo7 had a good idea about the hospital have you checked with them?
Me(29), DH (35), DS(11), DD(7), EDD(11/30/12)
Hoping for HEALTHY first, then hoping to be apart of TEAM BLUE!
Love me FAMILY

beckie_33 replied to iceechic's response:
My bf has an interpreter from high school that he's kept in contact with over the years. She's been like a second mom to him so I think i'll ask her if she'd be willing to be there for my bf.

When I was in the ER recently for a bad fall the hospital provided an interpreter for my boyfriend. They might do the same thing when I give birth. I sure hope so.

iceechic replied to beckie_33's response:
Well good sounds like a plan Hope everything works out for you!
Me(29), DH (35), DS(11), DD(7), EDD(11/30/12)
Hoping for HEALTHY first, then hoping to be apart of TEAM BLUE!
Love me FAMILY

Laur1981 responded:
what about calling HIS insurance? maybe they can offer services to him?

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I have been married for 4 years and are expecting our first in November. This is going to be an interesting year and we are very excite...More

Helpful Tips

Cord blood banking question
We are considering cord banking with this baby. We love the rep at CBR and found a coupon code 'MOOLA' that saves $250 off enrollment! What ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.