Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
After Delivery and Tubal Ligation
KOMmom posted:
My dd is 7 1/2 and ds edd is 10/16. After this we are 100% done and I want to do something permanent rather than pills, shots or IUD's. I've done some reading and saw you can have a tubal ligation most times within a day or two after delivery while you are already in the hospital. Has anyone done this, have any advice, do or don't do? I'm going to talk to my dr. at my appointment next month but I wanted to be armed with some questions before I commit to having it done. I'm also concerned because (unless you have it done during a c-section), there is extra anestesia involved. Does that mean you can't breastfeed or how is that handled? I know my dr. will have my best interests in mind with advising whether or not to have it done but I take more stock in personal experience from other women that have had this (or something like this done).

Thanks!

An_242764 responded:
One of my SIL had her tubes tied and they did it right after the baby was born. The doctor just made sure she had an epidural and then took her in for surgery shortly after the baby was born.

A friend of mine they made her wait 2 days before they would tie her tubes. So I guess it's up to the doctor, hospital and your insurance.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 24 yrs old with a B.S. degree in Apparel Design but plan to get my masters in Art Therapy. My Fiance and I are expecting our first child. I have ...More

Helpful Tips

I need your tips...
Now that you have had twelve or so days to get to know the new exchanges-let me know what else we can do to help make them better. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.