Skip to content

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
scared of gaining weight
AmandaDanielleBrown posted:
so im 17w and 3d. im the same weight as i was when i first got pregnant maybe i bit lighter at 151, everyday i weigh myself. i dont know what it is, but im terrified of gaining weight. my husband has started noticing it and im really embarassed. its not like im NOT eating but im limitiing myself. i dont want to bblow up. this is my 2nd child and with the 1st i gained 70 pounds, my babies father told me i let myself go and basically left me, so i guess it may be fear that my husband will leave. all i know is that in my mind i am just terrified of gaining alot of weight, ideally i would actually like to lose some weight and make it all belly. i cant stand the thought of losing who i have now, he is very wonderful. but my 1st sons father was wonderful at first too. then he turned very hateful. i had a scare at the beginning of my pregnancy, the doctor said my child was not pregressing correctly but were checking on that my next appointment. i dont want to be selfish but i seriously cant help thinking like i am. has any one experienced this, its starting to become an obsession. and i dont want to "get help" and really dont know the steps to if i wanted to. what would i even catagorize this as...so many questions

scperdomo7 responded:
I am being very strict with myself this pregnancy. Not that I went crazy with the last one, but I definitely want to eat healthy, exercise and be as fit as possible without hurting the baby.

Do your research. A woman who is at an appropriate/healthy weight pre-pregnancy should gain between 25-35 lbs during the entire pregnancy, a woman who is overweight should gain 15-25 and a woman who is obese should gain no more than 15.

During pregnancy, you only need an additional 300 calories per day. To give you an idea, 1 tbsp of peanut butter is 100 calories. And that is assuming you are not overeating to begin with.

Find out what kind of excerises you can still do while pregnant and keep in shape. Take your vitamins and drink plenty of water.

You have to understand, your baby is going to take what it needs from you and you are going to get whats left. So that means, if you aren't eating right, your baby is gonna take all the vitamins and minerals it needs and you are going to be left feeing run down - you are the one that is going to suffer, not the baby. So, you need to eat right and be healthy so that you can function on a daily basis.

There is no reason you can't eat right (not starving yourself!), stay fit and have a healthy pregnancy. You are gonna be fine momma!
Stephanie (27) Chris (36) DS-Cameron (3) DSS-Brandyn (16)
EDD: 12/7/12 - Purple Team

jedmonds12 responded:
Stephanie is correct in putting those numbers up there on how much a woman SHOULD gain. If you started your pregnancy at a healthy weight, you SHOULD gain weight, about 25-35 lbs.

Personally, I started my pregnancy already obese (according to BMI charts) so my doctor advised me to gain no more than 15, and ideally, only 10. I have not increased the amount of food I've been eating, just making healthier choices, and it seems to be working.

Although your baby will take what it needs from you, it can't take what it needs if you're not giving it anything. Make good choices on what you do eat: whole grains, high fiber, lots of water and fresh fruits and vegetables.

I also found this table helpful to see that the weight I'm gaining isn't just "fat."

http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/healthy-weight-gain

Baby: 8 lbs
Placenta: 2-3 lbs
Amniotic fluid: 2-3 lbs
Breast tissue: 2-3 lbs
Blood supply: 4 lbs
Fat stores for delivery & breastfeeding: 5-9 lbs
Uterus increase: 2-5 lbs

A woman's body does something amazing and wonderful by growing a baby. You have to see it that way, and not just "I'm getting so fat." Yes, you're gaining weight. You're growing another HUMAN, and that takes time, food, and love. Try to focus on the fact that being pregnant is not a right or an obligation, it's a choice and a privilege, and even though it might seem like it lasts forever, it's really just a blip on your lifetime radar. You want to give your baby the best start possible, and that means taking good care of yourself. ((BIG HUGS)) Try not to let the numbers get to you, just make good choices and stay active, and you'll come out OK
Julie (28), DH (35)
DS Kawika 4/25/11
Due 10/7/12 - blue team!

An_242764 responded:
One thing to remember is that breastfeeding can help you lose a lot of the baby weight that you gain. It's not only good for baby, but good for you too in many ways.

If your hubby really loves you then he will love you no matter how much weight you gain. Just because your first child's father was a jerk doesn't mean that every man is going to treat you the same way. Talk to your hubby about your fears. If he loves you then he will listen to you and not judge you. You seem to have a wonderful husband so I don't think you really need to worry about what he thinks of you.

I know a lot of women who have fears of gaining a lot of weight while pregnant, unfortunately some weight gain in necessary and you shouldn't worry. After baby is born just continue to eat healthy and exercise and you should be able to lose most if not all of the baby weight.

Talk to your doctor, he/she maybe able to help you to know what you should and shouldn't eat so you stay a healthy weight. As jedmonds12 said eat whole grains, fresh fruit, lots of fiber and drink lots of water. Just eat healthy and exercise and you should do great!

SharaLee responded:
I had my first child when I was 19. I went from 155lbs to 250lbs. My daughter weighed in at 10lbs 5oz. the placenta was 12 lbs. When I left the hospital I weighed 190lbs.

This time around I started at 225lbs. Im also 28 now. And gained some weight while in the navy. Right now I feel like a blimp and I'm crying all the time over clothes not fitting. My concern is not that my husband will leave me. I will survive, I survived when my first husband left when I was 4 months pregnant. My concern is Im going to lose my job because I wont be able to lose the weight.

I'm trying very hard to stay in shape while pregnant, and eating healthy, but the lbs are still packing. my belly is just that all baby. my butt and thys however. I feel like I should still be able to pull my fat jeans up. The last time I weighed in at my appointment I weighed in at 240lbs minus the 10 lbs of uniform and I'm sitting at 230. But medical never subtracts the steel toe boots plus 5 lbs of layers I have to wear at work.

mommyin2011 responded:
you really dont have to gain that much...with my first, i gained 12 lbs, and with my 2nd, i gained 15...im on the 3rd now and im 18w4d and have gained 7lbs so far. no need to gain 70...ur really not eating for 2. just eat healthy. no fast food. my cousing gained 80 and thats b/c she just ate and ate...your baby is only so big and eats very little of what u eat. he/she doesnt need you to eat for 2 and gain so much...its hard to get rid of the weight after baby anyways.

just eat healthy and u will be fine.
Me (31) DH (32) - DS 7/31/11 - DD 7/18/12 - 3rd baby due 2/3/14; BLUE TEAM!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband (35) and I (29) have been married for 6 years. When we were trying to get pregnant, I had every test done known to man to find out that I h...More

Helpful Tips

tilted uterus
have had this with all 3 of my pregnancies it usually goes away but for me it continues through out my whole pregnancy. I am also 4 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.