Skip to content

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Who Is Responsible?
scperdomo7 posted:
I'd like some opinions on this scenerio.

Susie and Barb are friends. Susie had a baby, bought a double electric breast pump and used it for 6 months.

One year later, Barb has a baby and Susie offers the use of her pump. Barb accepts.

Susie gets pregnant again and will need the pump back (though likely not until Barb would be done with it). Barb later informs Susie that the pump broke while in her possession.

Who is responsible for replacing the pump? Or should they share the cost? Please elaborate.
Stephanie (27) Chris (36) DS-Cameron (3) DSS-Brandyn (16)
EDD: 12/7/12 - Purple Team

Take the Poll

Who is responsible for replacing the pump?
  • Susie
  • Barb
  • Other - Please Explain
vote
View Poll Results

BeautifullyBlessed responded:
I don't think Barb is responsible for replacing the pump. If I was to give a friend my pump because I don't need it anymore, I wouldn't give it to her with the intention of getting it back. Once you give something to someone, that's it.

The fact that it broke while she had it has no bearing because once Susie gave Barb the pump, it belonged to Barb. Things happen. Now that Susie is about to have another baby, Barb shouldn't be responsible for getting her a new one or sharing the cost.

Susie should cut her losses and buy herself a new one and not have any hard feelings.

scperdomo7 replied to BeautifullyBlessed's response:
BeautifullBlessed - thanks for the response!

Would your answer change if Susie let Barb borrow the pump - both with the understanding that Susie would get it back when Barb was finished with it?
Stephanie (27) Chris (36) DS-Cameron (3) DSS-Brandyn (16)
EDD: 12/7/12 - Purple Team

BeautifullyBlessed replied to scperdomo7's response:
If there was an understanding between both parties that the pump was to be given back and the pump broke, then Barb would be responsible for buying another one.

I say this because at this point the pump was "borrowed" and not given, so If you borrow something and it breaks in your possession, you're responsible for replacing it.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Married to my husband since Sept 2009 and expecting his first (my second) Feb 6. This is especially exciting and nerve racking for us b/c we went thro...More

Helpful Tips

I need your tips...
Now that you have had twelve or so days to get to know the new exchanges-let me know what else we can do to help make them better. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.