Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Hearthurn
liz111010 posted:
for the last three weeks ive had serve heartburn to where im pooring in sweat and my chest is on fire and all my doctor says is to take Tums. so im taking Tums 1000s mg..im 20 pregnant..this is my 4th pregnancy and ive never had it this bad..ive tryed bakin soda water..milk and nothing to seems to help..no matter what i eat or drink it causes it..all i want to do is make myself throwup to see if it helps

beckie_33 responded:
I wouldn't think that Baking soda would be safe to use because it can make you really bloated.

I'm starting to have some really bad heartburn myself and so far tums seems to help some. I've also used Maalox max and that works a little better than tums.

Try eating smaller meals and see if that helps and stay away from spicy or acidic foods.

Talk to your doctor again and see if he/she has any other suggestions.

liz111010 replied to beckie_33's response:
all the doctor says is to take tums. but thanks i really appreciate any advice will help

scperdomo7 responded:
I don't really have issues with heartburn too much - mostly acid reflux, which the Tums works great for, but with my last pregnancy I did get heartburn a lot and my OB said Maalox or the other liquid similar to Maalox (can't remember the name) was fine to take and that seemed to help.

Chewing gum also seemed to help. Milk helped too, but it was only short lived and would come back stronger than before.

I did notice that if I ate too quickly, sometimes I would get heartburn - some maybe slow down when you eat? And drink plenty of water while you eat.
Stephanie (27) Chris (36) DS-Cameron (3) DSS-Brandyn (16)
EDD: 12/7/12 - Purple Team

liz111010 replied to scperdomo7's response:
well water makes it worse for me..but ive tryed everything but my doctor says that she wont prescribe anything else for it..but im thinking acid reflux maybe it..cause my chest is on fire and it feels like i have to burb and when i do burb something trys to come up..but its really bad at night..but thanks for the advice i will definelty keep it in mind

beckie_33 replied to liz111010's response:
Be sure to add extra pillows at night so you are propped up. It makes the acid reflux worse if you are lying flat on your back. And try not to lie down after a meal.

liz111010 replied to beckie_33's response:
might have to just try that..my cousin said that cause i was pregnant there is nothing they could do for acid refulx

mommyp4_7 responded:
I have had heartburn with every pregnancy and since #3 my ob has perscribed either protonix or nexium. both work great
Sarah 32, DH 39, DD 10, DD 8, DS 7, DD 5, DD 3, DD 1, EDD 12/10/2012.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, my name is Becca. DH and I had been TTC for 18 cycles before success!!! It was our 3 IUI and our 2nd round with Femara and Menopur. We got our BFP...More

Helpful Tips

I need your tips...
Now that you have had twelve or so days to get to know the new exchanges-let me know what else we can do to help make them better. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.