Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Hello and Question about early Breastmilk
donnasamommie posted:
Hi and nice to meet you all!
I came on Webmd a lot when I was pregnant with my last LO about four years ago and loved these forums. I have been on once or twice with this baby, but being that it's my second go around, I have less questions. Well, I'm stumped again and I need your help I am 21 weeks pregnant and have had really sore breasts my whole pregnancy so far. Even only 4 weeks I had to go to sports bras and am currently in some that are two sizes bigger than normal and I've slowly filled them up to the brim. This week I've noticed more pain than usual and did some examining to find that I believe I have some milk going on there. I squeezed and milk came out, and today I am leaking. I feel like I need to release some pressure. I have read differing opinions about whether I can pump or not. Some say I can, that my colostrum will produce for baby until 72 hours after delivery (I will be C Section and an opting out of Oxytocin) and others say that I cannot that it will start me contracting and that I will go into preterm labor. If I were 37 or 38 weeks I wouldn't be so worried, but being that I'm so far behind I'm worried about doing it, but it really is hurting. What can I do?
Donna

scperdomo7 responded:
There are a couple of reasons why you should not breast pump before baby is born. Most importantly is the fact that breast pumping entails nipple stimulation. This stimulation may release the hormone oxytocin and ultimately lead to contractions. Using this method too early can cause premature labor, and a premature baby. Yet, even if you are far enough along in your pregnancy, inducing labor on your own through nipple stimulation can cause very quick, excessive contractions, which can be dangerous for both you and the baby.

Another reason to not begin breast pumping before is baby born is that your colostrum typically comes in after baby is born. This milk is very important for the baby due to the fact that it contains important antibodies and nutrients that is very important to the newborn. It also contains a mild laxative to assist your newborn with its first stool.

Try using a warm compress to help alleviate any tenderness, ask your OB for suggestions or check out La Leche League's website to see if they have any ideas. Also, I'm pretty sure there is a breastfeeing group on here you could talk to as well.
Stephanie (27) Chris (36) DS-Cameron (3) DSS-Brandyn (16)
EDD: 12/7/12 - Purple Team

Spotlight: Member Stories

I met my husband at work (NGSB) May 28, 2009. We were married October 10, 2009, and pregnant around October 27th...with twins! My husband must love me...More

Helpful Tips

tilted uterus
have had this with all 3 of my pregnancies it usually goes away but for me it continues through out my whole pregnancy. I am also 4 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.