Is it normal to have STD tests in 2nd trimester?
GlenGaryCam posted:
y adopted sister is 26 weeks pregnant. She just had some tests done. CPT codes 88175, 87491, and 87591. To my understanding, those are for a pap smear, test for chlamydia, and test for gonnorhea. Each test was about $100... which seems a bit pricey to me. But anyway.. Is that a normal routine set of tests to do on someone that is pregnant? Or does this indicate that there was some indication that she has chlamydia and gonnorhea? I am very concerned, because this girl is totally selfish, and she is not capable ot taking care of a goldfish, let alone a baby. She got pregnant to force a relationship with her boyfriend, and her boyfriend promptly LEFT town and she is still living with his parents.

MrsBurt05 responded:
This is my 3rd pregnancy and STD testings have always been routine unless you specifically tell the doctor you don't want the STD testing. They don't ask you if you want them or not, they just do them. It's just a precaution no matter what, because if something is found, they need to take action for the health of mom and baby.

I was kind of..."offended" when they first did an STD screen when I was pregnant with my 1st because my husband is the only guy I've been with and he's only been with 2 others before me and always wore condoms and always had a clean bill of health in that area, so I was not worried about STDs. But when they told me it's routine for pregnant women not because they thought I had an STD, then I was ok with it. They just want to make sure everything is ok with mom and baby.
DS-11/22/05 DS-11/19/07 BFP-10/21/12-DUE JULY 2ND 2013!! Think pink! :)