Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Baby Shower for 2nd Child?
chesica21 posted:
I am just curious if anyone had a shower for their 2nd or 3rd baby? I am currently pregnant with my scond child, won't know boy or girl for a few more weeks. Is it normal? I unfortunately have few female friends I am still in touch with and most have only one child so I have no reference point to go off of. Unfortunately since my DD is almost 4 we have very little in the way of baby stuff left and will have to purchase most all over again.

Take the Poll

Do you think a shower for all pregnancies is appropriate?
  • Yes
  • No. Only 1st pregnancy
vote
View Poll Results

mrsmarkle responded:
I'm on my second pregnancy too, and my daughter will be 4 by the time this one is born. I think the idea that showers are ONLY for a first child is a little outdated personally. I know quite a few moms who have had second or even third showers. When I mentioned it to my mom and grandma (more old fashioned) they were kind of shocked that I wanted another shower, but my sister totally agrees. I'd say do it!

mommyin2011 responded:
I am on my 3rd and i have had a shower for all pregnancies. No one has ever made a comment about it (at leaset not to me). My pregnancies are all 1 year apart and that still didnt stop me from having a shower for all of them.

have a second shower!!! it is to honnor your baby and have family/friends shower him/her with lovely gifts!! Your baby is loved and i really dont think anyone will care that you are having a baby shower!
Me (31) DH (32) - DS 7/31/11 - DD 7/18/12 - 3rd baby due 2/3/14; BLUE TEAM!!

nreyn3 responded:
I'm on my first pregnancy, and I just went to a shower for a friend that is on her third. I didn't think it was odd or offensive at all!! I think that every baby deserves a shower!! If anyone has a problem, my question would be why? and for what reason? other than being selfish!! It's your baby and if you want to have a shower for him/her I'd definitly do it, and those that truely support you and your new baby will be there!!!

chesica21 responded:
Thanks for the supportive advice. My grandmother was a bit shocked at first when I mentioned it, but I think she is starting to like the idea. Now the only problem is finding the time, or someone with time, to plan one. I do Not want to wait till the last minute like last time... Due 3 weeks after shower date, DD born the day after (almost exactly 24 hrs). We had no time to set up anything and had to do it all after we brough her home.

jessi2056 replied to chesica21's response:
I just threw a diaper shower for my friend who is on her third and she had showers for her first and second! If you feel weird about it just call it a diaper shower/party instead! Everyone didn't just bring diapers but if they do it still helps out a ton!

hgreenwood7058 responded:
I think all babies should be celebrated. Its not so much about gifts (though nice to have) as much as it is celbrating the bringing of a new member into the family. I think one shower (whether baby shower/sprinkle/diaper or whatever you would like to call it) is a little out dated. Would you really want to explain to your child that because you were the "2nd child" you didn't get celebrated. I say go for it. Those who are opposed don't have to attend.
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Team Blue!. Hope this LO will stick

courtneykipp responded:
I think my mother in law is planning on throwing a shower for this one (#2). My son will be almost 4 when this one is born. We saved everything, but will still need things like diapers. I know people like to give presents for babies... it's just something that happens.

skylarmyacara responded:
I did with my 2nd baby. We had a sprinkle. It was basically to just get together and celebrate. I asked if they decided to bring gifts to just bring diapers and wipes but I didn't need anything specific. If I was having a boy I would have to had a shower but I didn't lol. I actually gave birth 3 weeks early so the baby was at the sprinkle I'm pregnant now with our 4th and we only had those 2 shower/sprinkle. If I have a boy I may have to have a shower again but I think it is a girl again. I have 3 so I don't think I have a chance for a boy lol

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello! I don't know all of these acronyms everyones using, so I'm just spellin' it out! :) I'm 30, and my husband is 33. We have an ...More

Helpful Tips

I need your tips...
Now that you have had twelve or so days to get to know the new exchanges-let me know what else we can do to help make them better. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.