Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Itchy breasts
shubhak_17 posted:
Hi Everybody, I m having terrible itchy feeling on my breasts. I am scratching all the time. It gets worse at the wrong time( When I am around people/when in office.) Do any one of you have this problem? What do you do to ease it? I have tried moisturiser/cocoa butter all over my body. But nothing helps.. :-(

March_mommy2be responded:
Lotion, lotion, lotion. I know it seems like it doesn't help, but it actually does. The reason why your itching so bad is one of two things, or both. As you know, your body undergoes many changes during pregnancy, including hormone and gland changes. Your skin can get really dry and cause that annoying and seemingly endless itching. Also, if your breast are getting bigger (the main cause of my problem) the stretching can defintely play a part in itching also. Avoid taking long, hot showers, which dry out your skin. Moisturize withing 5 minutes after getting out of the shower. Putting lotion on at this time can trap in moisture and possibly bring you relief. Whether it helps with the itching or doesn't, lotion is a must because if you are scratching alot, it causes damage to the skin and you need all the help you can get. Last but not least, refrain from scratching! I know its hard but it just makes matters worse. Hope this helped!

ali110 responded:
I had that issue too. Imagine sitting in a meeting with 90% of them men and all you can think of is how to scratch your boobs without anyone noticing. :eek: The only thing that has helped is to lather on a 24 hour extra moisturizing lotion for dry skin when your boobs are still a little damp after taking your shower. I do that for my whole body. Your skin absorbs more lotion when it's still wet as apposed to when it's completely dry. Try it. I'm sure it will help.

shubhak_17 responded:
Thank you ladies. I shall try them all.

gonzac1980 responded:
I don't know if your itchiness is that bad, but my first time around I itched everywhere, including my ankles. Yes, ankles. It was so bad I couldn't sleep. The dr recommended hydrocortizone or benedryl. It worked for me.

Brittanylikesyou responded:
Ive heard from other moms that scratching icthy breasts is bad. Im not sure how true that is, but one lady had told me that he had horrible stretch marks on her breasts and the scratching made them worse... i have the same problem though. its usually worse in the middle of the night when i wake up to go to the bathroom, i can barely go back to sleep.

PINKSHANA responded:
Hi, I am having the same issue and it is driving me NUTS!!!! But I am itching everywhere and I just starting getting these red dots which are ultra itchy and I feel like I spend all my time itching myself.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 28 yrs old and me and my boyfriend are exspecting our first child together. I am so ready for a baby.My EDD 03/21/2012

Helpful Tips

Cord blood banking question
We are considering cord banking with this baby. We love the rep at CBR and found a coupon code 'MOOLA' that saves $250 off enrollment! What ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.