Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Fever Blisters..
millerve posted:
So during this pregnancy...I have had many fever blisters on my lips..lucky not all at the same time.. I currently have my 3rd one right now.. I know that many people say its because of the hormones and everything.. is there something that I can use to prevent them from coming back?? I have been putting some stuff on it and the pharmacy says its okay for it.. Should I ask my doctor about it?? Thanks

klbmom2be responded:
There is a topical medicine that is safe during pregnancy called Denavir. It's by prescription (either your Dentist, OB, or Dermatologist can prescribe it). It works great.

bbromley88 responded:
is abreva safe during pregnancy!!???????

jbish responded:
I believe abreva is fine. I used it through my 1st tri and we're fine.

jthsets responded:
Denavir is NOT safe to use......it is a category C drug. Please visit site www.safefetus.com You can type in any drug and it will give you it's category. A better option is acyclovir(generic for zovirax)-it is a category B. I have also had several fever blisters.....starting at 4 weeks on I have not been without one. They are horrible! I have yet to use anything for them because I am still in the 1st trimester....I am hoping they will stop popping up soon! Ask your doctor for his/her opinion and good luck!

witch666 responded:
Thanks for posting that site. I didnt even think about it but I was using a mary kay product with some benzoyl peroxide in it without even realizing it was bad untill I happened to read an article. Good thing I didnt use it often. Now I'll be checking everything, you wouldn't think something topical could hurt your baby.

jbish responded:
I get them all the time even when not pregnant. I used abreva during pregnancy I also use a ointment called lysine. It's cheap and works great. Check out the website to make sure both are safe. I used them both.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Married hubby 4/4/09. Started TTC in Sept 2009 and got pregnant in April 2010. We are expecting our bundle of joy, Chace, Dec 30, 2010 if not before. ...More

Helpful Tips

I need your tips...
Now that you have had twelve or so days to get to know the new exchanges-let me know what else we can do to help make them better. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.