Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Pain in upper abdomen...
BALMAS1987 posted:
Ok ladies, tell me if this sounds familiar to any of you... I have been having this very sharp almost stabbing pain in my upper abdomen, about 2 inches above my belly button and to the left. I have round ligament pains quite frequently but they tend to be dull and towards my lower abdomen and my hips. I have drank plenty of fluids today (160 oz.) and I have attempted to stay off my feet for the last hour to see if it would let up, and its not. I called the Dr's office and the nurse said "drink fluids, and try laying down..." I had already attempted that, but whatever. My contractions are coming, as ususal. They never progress, so the doc isn't worried about them. Does anyone else have these pains. It happened a few days ago and it just went away on its own, and today it is back in the same spot. It's pretty tender, so I am thinking maybe it could just be the baby switching positions and stretching a new muscle too quickly. Other than that, I guess I will just let it pan out and visit my doc on the 19th as scheduled.

superjunkplace responded:
YES! I did have that. It was like 3-4 wks ago so I was probably almost exactly as far along as you are now. It was a sunday night and I had just eaten and I was getting those horrible stabbing pains about two inches to the right of my belly button...it lasted for a little over an hour and was REALLY painful, esp when I'd stand up or move into a different position. They ended up going away though so I didn't do anything about it. Then on Thursday of that week, they started again, but didn't last very long so I didn't worry about it, and I had an appt the next day. At my appt I told the dr and she said "that exact spot you pointed to is where your ksjdfksdu muscle is, you probably just pulled it or LO is putting a lot of pressure on it" and she said it goes across your belly so it definitely sounds like the same thing!! I wouldn't worry about it. I know it really hurts, but most likely it's totally normal! Sorry that was enormous! :pbpt:

BALMAS1987 responded:
I thought it was probably muscle related! It's so painful, it's like not stretching b4 a big run! She told me to take tylenol for it, but I would rather not take anything and just see if it goes away on its own. It is bothering me though, because it is making my contractions flare up. They are like 3 mins apart and super strong. Irritating, but oh well. :sheepish:

Mybaby83 responded:
I would say something to your doctor about it because some kinds of upper pain abdomen can be a symptom of pre-eclampsia since it affects your liver. Sorry I don't want to scare you, it's probably not that but ya know, I would at least mention it!

EOTERO responded:
ive been having a very similar excruciating pain right under my right rib for about 3 weeks. my doc said if i have it by tomorrows appt, he needs to check my liver, i guess it sounds like what PP said. I DO have HBP at times and its been getting higher 159/92 last time...hopefully i'll hear its muscle too but i would check with doc and be specific about where it hurts.

BALMAS1987 responded:
It's ok, you don't scare me. It takes quite a bit to scare me, lol! My bp is low 97/52, so he definately isn't worried about pre-eclampsia, and since it is only occuring on the left-hand side that doesn't leave many possibilities. I also had my gallbladder removed in Jan of 08, so it could be scar tissue pulling from the lapriscopic site, since I have a few issues with keloid scarring.

kchaver20176 responded:
I have been having these same pains and vistied my doctor jus this morning. Her feedback was that this is likely a spot where the baby has been pushing or punching repeatedly and thus creating a very tender area. I agree that it is painful- unlike the pushing that occurs in any other area of my belly. Best of luck.

leomommy responded:
this sounds kind of like what i'm feeling, but not sure if it's the same thing.... i'm 30 weeks pregnant and just recenly started feeling an occasional pain on both my right and left sides right under my ribs, and hurts more when i straighten up really straight....like i'm stretching. i've even felt a painful 'pop' and then it burns pretty bad.... doesn't fade away very quickly but it's not incessant pain either.... my baby is still as active as ever, but the intensity of the pain worries me. anyone else have something like this?

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and i are 21 yrs old and expecting our first Child a little Girl whos name will be Sage Marie. due to several Conflicting due dates From my...More

Helpful Tips

help
what do contractions feel like? More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful