Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Glass of Wine?
jearle8 posted:
Before anyone gets upset I have not had once sip of alcohol during my pregnancy and dont plan on it if my doctor tells me not to. Just wondering from your experiences if it isOK to have ONE glass of wine or champagne? Im turning 21 on August 8th....Ill be 32 weeks and just wondering if a glass or half or glass just to toast with is okay. Thanks!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Brittanylikesyou responded:
I know this totally sucks and is not the same, but my grandma bought DH and i a bottle of non alcoholic champagne, so thats always an option, or ive read on here some girls drink the o'doules beer that has the alcohol content of like 1/10th of a real beer... so if it turns out your dr says you shouldnt, which she very well might, those are some options. sorry im not much help.

jbish responded:
Beware this is a heated topic. In my opinion I wouldn't do it even if my OB said I could. Just not worth the risk. "They say" it's okay to drink one glass of red wine. Again, wouldn't do it.

superjunkplace responded:
A lot of people (including some doctors) would say yes and I know that there are some women who drink wine occasionally...Personally I don't really care for wine, but if I did, I can't see one glass being that big of a deal every once in awhile and would probably have some if I were so inclined! I don't know how champagne compares though....Also I could definitely be wrong but I think it's a bigger deal in first tri than in third, but like I said I'm really not sure..

lkevans responded:
I have and my dr said it was fine. I would go for it a small amount to toast with is def. not going to hurt anything in my opinion. Back in the day our parents im sure did much worse before everything was taboo. And people smoke during pregnancy (wich i dont recommend) but i think thats much worse than a bit of champagne.

bigred_08 responded:
idk I think it all depends, my sis in law tried to drink some wine but she didn't feel good after a couple sips... I know some women on here have sipped on beer... if you have a sip or two to toast w I guess its ok..

BlessedwBaby responded:
I would go by the advice of your doctor, but personally I think you'd be fine. I've heard that it's more crucial to refrain in the first two trimesters as well, but I guess no one really knows. Also, like PP suggested, you may want to opt for O'Douls or some other non alcoholic version. Good Luck!

Dnesa responded:
Lurking: My first OB doctor was 1/2 french 1/2 german and he said it was ok to drink a glass of red wine a week in your third trimester. he said thats what the french did. So I did it, as I'm half french. Just joking I didnt, But I did have a little glass at my baby shower and in my first Tri when I was in Hawaii. I think its okay. nothing happend, and my baby is perfect and perfectly healthy. I wouldnt do Champagne.

Laney0705 responded:
With my DS I had a glass of champagne on new years and I was about 35 weeks at that point. I have had a couple sips of DH beer with this pregnancy. It just looked so darn good and it was really hot out. I don't think one glass would be too bad, but check with your dr if it would make you more comfortable.

wicked_mama responded:
No amount of alcohol is ever considered safe during pregnancy since they don't know yet what effects alcohol can have on an unborn baby. That being said, if you have ONE glass of champagne or wine in the 3rd trimester, that is probably okay. I would ask your OB before doing so, of course. If it were me, I wouldn't do it simply because I know any food or drinks that go into my body also go into the baby's body - but like I said, one glass in the 3rd trimester is probably ok as long as your doc says it's ok.

lkevans responded:
You could always have a mimosa. Half orange juice/champagne That way it is even half healthy lol

jearle8 responded:
haha thats a good idea! I truthfully dont ever crave alcohol or wish I could have a drink its simply for the fact that itll be my 21st. So the more i think about it ill probably go with a non alcoholic version of a fun summer drink and wait until Charlie vacates to drink the real thing :smile:

christie_1980 responded:
when pg with my 1st, we were at a wedding & in between the church & reception, i thought i my water might of leaked and we stopped at the hossy real quick. they actually told me to drink a glass of red wine & dance that kid out and they thought i'd be back for sure before midnight. now, the wine i drank maybe 3/4 the glass and it went all to my head! but omg! was it good!!! LOL i was also pretty mad that i did not go into labor that night. instead, went 2 days later. =) its like everything, all docs will have their own opinions. but, in european cultures, occasional glasses of wine are the norm, and their babies are just fine. food for thought!! hth!

DianaG49424 responded:
My doctor told me moderation in most things. I abstained from caffeine, alcohol and any medication in the first tri and most of the 2nd but I really don't believe that 1 glass of wine every 2 weeks or so will be a problem in the 3rd tri. In some areas of Europe it is common for pregnant women to have a glass with dinner every night and they have healthy babies. I also did some research on my own and was not able to find any studies that proved that small amounts of alcohol were detrimental. In fact, they are finding out more and more that caffeine affects the baby more than previously thought but most of us still have coffee, chocolate and soda.

roxanne156 responded:
One glass of wine is not going to harm you or the baby. It is the women who constantly drink throughout their pregnancy and have more than a glass or two that harm their babies. That will cause fetal alcohol syndrome and have long term damaging effects on the baby. However one glass of wine is safe, imo.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Michon (pronounced Mi-Shawn) and I am married to the most caring loving man I have ever met his name is Nelson! I have one son Alex who is ...More

Helpful Tips

36 weeks
Hi, since the secon trimester I have had a lot of pain in the pelvic region and between my legs. Today I lost my mucous plug and have been ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.