Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Left Shoulder Pain - Help pls
atrutty29 posted:
OK so for the last day or 2 i have been having alot of sharp pain in my left shoulder. tonight it is terribl! it is worse if i try to lay down and is traveling down my left arm as well as up into my neck. Anyone else experience this or know what it could be?? Seems to be worse if i take deep breathes....

TIA

asheets304 responded:
I know that sciatica is not always in your tailbone/butt. It is a huge nerve that runs from your neck....alll the way down. Could be some form of sciatica. That's just what my doctor was telling me at my last d/a when I was telling her about the shooting pains I was having in my booty haha

MommaMiaa responded:
yes I was wondering this myself. I have had the worst neck pain in the world the last few days and pains in my left shoulder as well. I figured at first that maybe I slept on it wrong so I had hubby massage it a little bit, but here I am almost a week later and the pain is still there but I never thought of that sciatic nerve thing. Oh well I see doc on monday so hopefully he will have some insight as to what is causing the pain. Meanwhile if you find anything out let us know!

GL

DianaG49424 responded:
Pain in your left shoulder could be from swelling of the tissues around some nerves that come off of the neck part of your spinal cord. All the hormones in our bodies make everything more swollen (like nasal passages and the whoo-ha). The sciatic nerve comes off of the lower back portion of the spinal cord so it is completely seperate from the nerves going to your arm. Same idea though- if the nerve gets pinched you feel pain everywhere the nerve goes..

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley and I am 26 years old. I have a beautiful daughter, Cadence who will be 6 in January. Now we are expecting our second daughter, Pers...More

Helpful Tips

Infantino SlingRider Recalled
I just wanted everyone know that the Infantino slingrider was recalled this morning due to infant deaths. You can read the whole article at ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.