Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
After C-Section - Wound cleaning
jwick407 posted:
this is a bit after the fact for this board but wasn't sure where else to post this question and since i know some on here have had c-sections before i might as well ask you guys! does anyone know how to clean a c-section incision? i was told basically to just rinse with warm soapy water and pat dry. i have a lot (soaking my undies and clothes even) of yellow drainage in one area of the wound... can i put anti-biotic ointment on it and let it sit for a a while then wipe off or put some peroxide on it? is this an infection? i called my dr and the soonest they have availalbe to see me is thursday but i don't know if this is something i should be more concerned about or not... the area is warm to the touch and pink/red...seems like an infection but i know sometimes wounds healing are like that....

bigred_08 responded:
I am trying to remember my "wound" ummm it might be a small infection...does it hurt how does it smell?? you can put peroxide on it, it can't hurt... it has been over 10 days? your edd is the 7th when did you have your section?? I don't think it should be still dripping... try putting the peroxide see if it bubbles, did they seem worried about it? you coudl always go to the er..

Lcockrum responded:
I would definitely call them back and demand to at least speak with the doctor. I would not put anything on it until you at least talk to him. I never had any drainage from the incision site past about 2 days in the hospital. It was barely pink and never hot. I always did the "wash the rest of your body and let the soap run over the incision area when you're rinsing. Then pat dry. Contact your doctor's office again. Even if they can't SEE you right away.. let them know the sense of urgency that you at least speak with someone. Infections are nothing to mess with. Good luck.

chola_angel69 responded:
i wouldnt put peroxide on it, peroxide is meant for small cuts if you read on the bottle they recomend not using it for signifigant wounds. my incision got kind of pink and hot to the touch right before they took out my staples because the staples were irritating my skin but it wasnt infected and then once they took them out that went away. i never had any oozing or anything but i know that some can be normal at 1st. if you really are 10 days post op. then i dont think the oozing is normal at all and it might be infected. My dr. told me not to put ointment on my incision the 1st time so i wouldnt recomend that either. Have you taken your temperature?? if you have an infection you could be running a fever and that would be a sure fire way to tell. I would take your temp and then call you dr. back ask if you should go to the er if they cant see you any sooner or maybe even go back to L&D and maybe they will look at it. Good luck i really hope its nothing.

momy41 responded:
It's to me infection. I do not know why your dr wants to wait that long.I had c-section twice but I never had such a yellow drainage. I think you can ask dr's office one more time and ask them to see you tomorrow . I think sooner the better. I think also I will use peroxide and let it dry and if drainage persist you can apply antibiotic oint and put gauze on it and change dressing according to satutration of drainage.

bigred_08 responded:
yeah drainage this late doesn't seem normal and putting something on it to clean it is better then just letting it sit... I hate doctors tho and always treat myself before I even attempt to deal with er's and docs so thats why I said try peroxide...but I just realized not only is it draining but it is soaking your clothes and underwear call your doc and let them know... it might be worth a trip to the er..

jwick407 responded:
thanks everyone for the replies - it will be 10 days post op tomorrow so maybe that's why they want to wait but today was the first time it's oozed so much... the oozing has been increasing over the days and today is the worst. I just cleaned it with soapy water and let it air dry - i mopped up the oozing with gauze as i lay on the couch with it exposed to the air - the oozing has stopped now...i called the dr again... it isn't my normal dr who did the c-section -it was an or dr so they said she won't be there till thursday...i haven't got a temperature and they said that unless i do or have pus then just to wait till then and keep taking my antibiotics... i won't put any peroxide or anything on it - just watch it and make sure it air dries out ...

LadeeEmpress responded:
That doesn't sound right. I never had any drainage and certainly not enough to soak my underwear. I would go to the ER if the doctor's office can't see you sooner. That sounds a little more urgent then waiting until Thursday.

chappyaf responded:
Do you have a 2 week post partum check up scheduled? If so I would just wait until then. I remember having some oozing after both of my c-sections, even at my 2 week post op appt, and my doc said it was fine. As long as it didn't have a foul smell, wasn't painful and wasn't running a fever. Just keep cleaning it with warm soapy water and keep it dry. I put an extra long pad over my incision and wore high waisted panties to hold it in place until it healed up well. Also good so that your undies don't stick to you. HTH.

tbabes1112 responded:
*lurking* I wouldn't recommend putting anything on it at all. Continue washing with warm soapy water and patting dry. It sounds like you might have an infection and if I were you, definitely see the dr. It seems like with a recent c-section and a possible infection, they would squeeze you in asap.

jwick407 responded:
well, i soaked 3 pairs of underpants and ended up putting an extra thick pad over the incision. i had a lady who works in a nursing home and sees incisions a lot and she said that it looked okay - as long as it wasn't foul smelling, had a fever, or had an opaque liquid/pus then it is normal drainage - just as another noted here - she said to keep it clean and it should be fine. she said that it's likely a build up of fluid which is where my incision had previously been very swollen - makes sense - so I'll keep an eye on it and possibly go to dr/er tomorrow if it's any worse than today....

momy41 responded:
I am glade that antibiotic is on board. I feel better for you. You can just follow what dr said. God bless you. I think you will be OK.

jwick407 responded:
thanks! just an update - the redness and swelling is almost completely gone today and the oozing so far has pretty much stopped - thank God! I feel so much better now - and will probably look like a fool to the dr tomorrow...but that's okay i guess. thanks for the support - hopefully it will turn out to be nothing when she looks at it tomorrow!

09shelby responded:
Glad things seem to be getting better for you. And don't worry, I am sure you are not going to look like a fool at the dr., he it is better to be concerned then just not pay any attention at all. Again toug, glad you are doing better. Hope you continue to get better in a speedy manner.

lprice76 responded:
*lurking* I had the same symtpoms and mine was infected. I had tons of yellow/brown drainage, bleeding and very warm red spots. When I called my OB they took me right away. Now when I went in the Dr said the incision looked great but there is probably a mild infection which is causing the redness and drainage. After the third dose of the antibiotics I noticed a HUGE difference it didn't hurt to walk anymore and I wasn't in pain.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I have been married since January of this year with a beautiful wedding in snowy Lake Tahoe. We found out that we were pregnant shortly...More

Helpful Tips

Flushable moist wipes
Just thought I'd share a tip that I learned this time around. After the birth of DD1, I was given the squirt bottle to clean down there ... More
Was this Helpful?
125 of 223 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.