Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
HIVES out of nowhere...and swelling
Qnscheme posted:
since yesterday afternoon, i have been experiencing hives. i never had them before in my life. and i didnt eat anything out of the ordinary. i used a new lotion for the 3rd time yesterday and am not sure if a reaction takes that long to show up...but i showered after i got all itchy and then i was better, but its showing up again tonight. i dont know if random hives are a symptom of pregnancy? also my feet got swollen....i dont know whats going on. anyone experience anything similar?

Lovin_my_babies responded:
Hello! I have never experienced hives during pregnancy (Thank God) but i do know how horrible they feel (i am allergic to latex, and that is one of the reactions, if i have a large amount of skin contact w/ it.) anyways, i looked it up for you, and here is a website that i think has some pretty useful information. Apparently it is normal, but only 1% of pregnant women get hives .. :eek: www.hives-treatment.com/hives-during-pregnancy.html

Qnscheme responded:
thanks shayne for the article. its odd that something that affects 1% of pregnant woman would occur to me. i am neither on my first pregnancy, nor carrying twins (the article states its more common in those pregnancies)...i will have to call my dr to see what i can take. i have been using calamine lotion and childrens benadryl to control the itch, but i'm not exactly sure if the benadryl med is ok. thanks again!

kim_ian_baby2 responded:
so... I'm not sure how to help with your situation but....... I just found it very strange that our sons were born the same day 1-29-07 and we are due 4 days apart this time around and may vry well end up having our babies the same day again lol were are you from?? I'm in RI.... I hope the hives go away for you... i've been itching like crazy but don't have hives or a rash of any kind so i can sort of feel your pain but i'm not exactly sure what hives feel like.. If they are worse than random itching then I feel very badly for you... :( good luck

symbolicangel responded:
I don't really have any advice for you, but I just wanted to pipe in and say that according to my midwife Benadryl is perfectly safe. She told me that it is a category B drug (same as Tylenol.) I've been taking one Benadryl tablet a night to help me sleep and to clear up my constant stuffiness, though I'm still pretty stuffy :-(. I hope you get some relief soon!

Qnscheme responded:
thats a crazy coincidence about our edd for both ds and our new babies :) im in nj...im not 22 though (wow, young mom! good for u!!)..im 27. hives are pretty bad...its nonstop itching EVERYWHERE and u get tiny red bumps...not fun, esp if u cant figure out the cause! anyhow, good luck..keep in touch...i'd love to know when u end up having ur girl :)

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am 35 years old and expecting my first baby im march. And to my surprise its going to be a boy. Ive had no problems so far other then the normal stu...More

Helpful Tips

Flushable moist wipes
Just thought I'd share a tip that I learned this time around. After the birth of DD1, I was given the squirt bottle to clean down there ... More
Was this Helpful?
125 of 223 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.