Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Period cramping/back pain?
MistressofHrts posted:
Is anybody else having period like cramping and back pain at the same time? It's not so much timeable just a all over cramp in my lower stomach just like I would be on my period but I also have horrible lower back pain! And the past 3 days today being the worse, my body has ached all over but mostly my back and thighs to the point it hurts to get up and out of the chair cause my muscles hurt like I've been working out which at this point I have not been or doing anything different! I know I still have 5 weeks left but I've had all the early signs of labor and been having BHC for almost a month now and my DH and a few other people think they have my due date wrong. I've been cramping all day randomly and pretty much constant back pain. I just tried laying down for bed and the cramping was hurting worse so I got up to see if it would go away. I even took Tylenol earlier and NOTHING helped it! Anybody else and if so is this a sign?

JenEthan responded:
I've had that same feeling off and on but not for 3 days straight, maybe just a few times a week for a week or so. It could be a sign. I'm a first time mommy so I have no idea. Sorry I'm not much help.

kalvarez responded:
I had a similar sensation on Halloween. I was having period like cramps and my back was killing me. I called my midwife and she told me to drink at least 32 oz of water (in rapid sucession), take 2 tylenol, and lay down on my left side. She told me to see if it went away within an hour, and if not then I'd need to go to the hospital. She did tell me that if it was true pre-term labor then tylenol wouldn't do anything. My suggestion is drink a crap-load of water, take the 2 tylenol, and rest on your left side for a little while. If it doesn't start to subside, definitely call your doctor. HTH!

Me-Kimberly (22), DH-Armando (32), 3 fur-babies: Pepito (cockatiel), Neto (parakeet), Yogi (yorkie); expecting first baby EDD 02/17/10 PINK TEAM...Little Lyla Elizabeth

first_time_mommy80 responded:
I went through the exact same symptoms 10 days ago...and I thought it was PTL...but it happened only for a week and then everything went away. I still get those period like cramps....but very few. I talked to my doctor and she said that sometime when you had a long day then these symptoms will come....which was true in my case, plus she said that as long as you have no bleeding, spotting increased discharge then it is normal, the body is just getting ready. I would suggest take as much rest as possible, I took off from work for couple of days and I am so much better now.

princessm90 responded:
have the same thing. it feels like menstrual cramps and sharp shotting pain. I've heard that it's contracton or something like it however I am only 32 weeks which scares the crap out of me. I don't want to go early.

Kimjj514 responded:
I have days where I feel really crampy and my back will ache as well, but it's usually just for a day or so and then goes away. Cramping is normal throughout pregnancy, but it could also be an indication of impending labor. If you start to notice more than 4 (some docs say 6) contractions an hour, then give your doctor a call. If you're 35 weeks it's still a little bit too early, so if you ARE in preterm labor, they'd most likely want to stop it. When I was pregnant with my DD I went into PTL at 35 weeks and they gave me medicine to stop it. However, they said if the medication didn't work that they'd just let me deliver. Just keep an eye on the cramping and if you start noticing anything timeable, then give your doctor a call. Also, make sure you are staying well hydrated, as dehydration can lead to irritable uterus which can also cause cramping and back pain. HTH!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Born and raised in Western New York, my husband and I are expecting our first child April 24th. Its a boy and so far his name is David Clark. we are w...More

Helpful Tips

Infantino SlingRider Recalled
I just wanted everyone know that the Infantino slingrider was recalled this morning due to infant deaths. You can read the whole article at ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.