Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
mesh panties???
allyson2233 posted:
In another post I was reading about how the hospital provides mesh panties. What are they used for? Do you wear them with underwear underneath or you do you just wear the mesh panties? Sorry if this is a weird question... I am just curious! Thanks, Allyson
FirstPrevious12NextLast

sarakraut responded:
You'll just wear them over the giganto maxi pads the hospital provides for post partum bleeding. I do not recommend wearing or bringing any of your own panties because they will just get ruined.

allyson2233 responded:
Is the post partum bleeding heavier than a "heavy period"?

sugarhi responded:
Oh man, yes, I remember those panties! The reason for the mesh underwear is because you are so sore "down there" after the baby (especially if you tear or have an episiotomy) that you have to layer a maxi, these flat round pads, gel, and for me, an ice pack type-thingy and it's like having an overstuffed diaper. I don't remember wearing other underwear because I think it would stretch WAY too much. That was one of the worst parts of recovery for me, performing that process every time I went to the bathroom. I am SO not looking forward to that again ! :pbpt:

ewpy responded:
Like PP said, they are panties for you to wear so you don't ruin your own. (you just throw them away after wear) Plus they are better at holding in the pads provided (yes they are huge but needed - just imagine what kind of period you will be having after 9 months of NOT having one!!!). With DD I even asked for some to take home so I could just wear those for a few days more. :D They were also more comfortable. I had a c/s and they didn't push on my insision like my panties did.

Nasa_Girl responded:
YIKES! How long does it take before you are "normal" enough to wear just a pad and your own panties for all the pain and bleeding? I hope it isn't like that for weeks and weeks! Maybe I'll rethink this whole baby thing. Is it too late? :goofy: The closer it gets the more afraid I get of the delivery and recovery!!

mommabear3502 responded:
With DD, my sister brought me a package of disposable underwear. Best gift I got in the hospital. So much better than ginormous pads, mesh panties, etc.

irishgal01 responded:
to answer your other question, YES there is i a lot of blood. I think it's called logia (spelling?), and it's what builds up in your uterus during pregnancy, it all has to get shed and comes out over a few weeks after you give birth. But the first few days were the worst, I think with DS, I was done bleeding in a week or so. I personally didn't like the mesh panties, they didn't fit me at all, so I only wore them once. I did bring some cotton granny panties with me to wear, which were great. Just some cheap hanes her way that I got at Target, so I didn't mind throwning them away.

ewpy responded:
I was wearing my own panties after about a week. As well as using a "normal" pad (quotes because it was the "SUPER" pads sold in the grocery store). Your period will last anywhere from a week to 3 weeks. :pbpt:

Jill_en responded:
Lurking: For those who need c-sections...those panties are a must too. The incision area was way to sore for me to have underwear rubbing against it, and you don't have as much post partum bleeding as a vagainal delivery but there is still a bunch so those mesh panties were perfect.

emily8091457 responded:
My nurse gave me a couple of pair to take home with me so I wouldn't have to ruin my own. And I got a pack of HUGE diaper pads too. I used those for a couple of days and then switched to store bought HUGE pad. :grin: I forget how long I used the mesh undies for... maybe a week?? There was quite a bit of blood at first and then it went to sort of a more normal period bleeding. And I honestly can't remember how long I bled for... pry a few weeks I guess. And some of that was spotting. I remember spotting and spotting and spotting. I was so tired of pads and pantie liners before I was done! :sheepish:

sarakraut responded:
I needed the super duty hospital pads and panties for about a week after delivery. After that I switched to regular panties and regular super maxi pads for another 2 weeks or so. I actually bled and spotted for about 5 weeks after delivery which my OB said was completely normal.

EvangelineAdell responded:
They're a little weird; they're like pantyhose shorts that you wear instead of your panties so that you can wear the SUPERpads the hospital stocks for you. I agree with Sara, too; don't wear any of your panties until you run out of these; they'll get ruined!

allyson2233 responded:
I am soooo not looking forward to this!! You would think they would invent something that can just suck all the blood out of you after you give birth so you don't have to deal with enormous pads and bleeding and spotting!! YIKES!! :sillygrin:

swinga responded:
lurking from newborn- These mesh panties were the best thing ever! I had a c/s and it felt like i was wearing nothing. they fit anyone, and they dont push on the incision. I made sure to keep all that i had, as well as the pads they have, plus asked them to restock my bathroom the day before i went home so i could take those. i wore those things for almost 2 weeks until my incision didnt hurt with regular underwear! take as many as you can. i know they look and seem silly, but trust me they are great!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am pregnant for the 3rd time, but having my 2nd child. My DD is 7 and I am happily (usually) married for almost 9 years.

Helpful Tips

Flushable moist wipes
Just thought I'd share a tip that I learned this time around. After the birth of DD1, I was given the squirt bottle to clean down there ... More
Was this Helpful?
125 of 223 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.