Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Back and rib pain
marshac01 posted:
I tried calling my Dr. about this but they havn't gotten back to me. Throughout this pregnancy I've had really bad nose bleeds and last week I had one and was blowing my nose pretty hard. Immediately after blowing my nose (harder than normal) I had some pretty bad back pain (right side just under my shoulder blade) along with rib pain just under my right breast. It hasn't gone away and it's more severe at night when I lay in my left side (painful side up). I feel as though I can't breathe as well and the pain in almost unbearable. The only way for me to sleep this past week is to take a tylenol extra strength and lay on my right side (painful side down). Does this make any sense? Can you crack or bruise a rib from blowing your nose too hard?? :confused:

Hopestr responded:
Marsha: I have been having the same exact problem. I have really bad pain under my right breast and in my back under my right shoulder. It is really bad at night when I lay on either side. I talked to my midwife Wednesday at my appointment and she asked if anything gave me relief. I told her laying on my back or pushing on my ribs where the pain is. She told me that it was just where my ribs are starting to move to give the baby room and it is causing the muscles between my ribs to pull. Hope this helps, but I would make sure to ask your doctor just in case its something else.

ewpy responded:
Actually what can happen is you can seperate the lining of your lungs which causes inflimation. This is called Pleurisy and usually the doc will have you take an anti-inflamitoy like Alive. But since we are prego all you can take is Tylenol. :( I have had it before and it sucks! I know the type of pain you are talking about and it HURTS! Unfortunately it can take a week to two weeks to heal.

mamafeb11 responded:
I don't have the shoulder pain, but I do have horrible rib pain under my right breast and right around to the same spot in my back. I had a prenatal massage and the lady said it's because all of my internal organs are being smashed up right there along with baby and causing my small rib cage to spread apart too far. My Dr confirmed on Monday that most likely that is true. My pain is also unbearable. It's worst when I sit. I can't wait until it goes away. This pain has been my only real pregnancy complaint with the LO and my last LO. :sad:

marshac01 responded:
Well I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I guess I never thought that it could be my body just making room for LO since it happened right after the blowing of the nose thing. I'll be sure to double check with my Dr. but this does make me feel better. Thanks!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi my name is Tiffany..my husband, Tj and I have been married for almost 5 years. We are expecting our first son, Tyler Jordan, on March 7 2011.

Helpful Tips

Diapers.com
First off, I super miss this board, I "graduated" 2 months ago! I miss the excitment, so I still come back and read the posts sometimes. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.