Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Name/Spelling Help!!!!
emily8091457 posted:
DH and I have been struggling with a name for this baby #2. We just can't decide/agree. Well yesterday we thought of a name that we both kind of like and are thinking we'll pry go with it (unless something we like more comes along). But we need help with the spelling and a middle name. So here are the different spellings: Anya - Aniya - Aniyah - Onya (On-yah being how I would phonetically spell it). One of us likes it spelled with an "A" better and one of us likes spelled with an "O". I won't say which because I just want an honest, unbiased opinion on the spelling you like best. As for middle names... not really sure... but here are a few: Corine - Camille - Blythe - Josephine ... anything you think might sounds good. :grin: Thanks!!! I just want to have this name nailed down. With DD we had it figured out pretty early on and now we're just having such a hard time! But I like that this name is fairly short/simply/pretty and I think goes well with DD's name, Ilse (il-sa).

sarakraut responded:
Love the name! I prefer Anya as the spelling. I guess the middle name sort of depends on your last name. What does it start with? How many syllables?

emily8091457 responded:
It starts with "S" and is one syllable (7 letters long). :grin:

sarakraut responded:
Since your last name is 1 syllable, I would do a multi-syllable middle name. (that is just my OCD though) Anya Josephine is adorable :grin:

merich78 responded:
I prefer Anya as well. I have a one syllable last name as well and anything with one sounds funny IMO. I LOVE Anya Camille. That way she has both a strong first and middle name

sugarhi responded:
I like Anya the best.

EileenBoek responded:
I would spell it Anya - I think it's most common that way, and it seems like the easiest too (less likely to get weird pronunciations). My sister-in-law is adopted from Russia and her name is Anya. It was originally spelled Anna (I guess that's how they spell it there), but she changed it to Anya because when she told people her name that's how they all spelled it. And my vote is for Anya Camille - I love Camille.

Gaeagle responded:
I like the spelling Anya. And out of the names listed for middle names I think Corine goes best with your choice for a first name.

emily8091457 responded:
Thanks, ladies, for the input! I like the spelling A-N-Y-A too. Do you think if you just saw it and didn't have the reference of (on-yah) that you would know it was pronounced that way or would it seem like it was more like (ann-yah)?? I really don't want her to be called Ann (no offense to any Ann's out there).

sugarhi responded:
I don't think people will confuse it with Ann-ya. I was in a play during college and my character was "Anya" so I guess I already know how to pronounce it. No offense, but I think people will have less trouble with "Anya" than "Ilse" - I had no clue how to pronounce that until you spelled it out :sheepish:

jlg08 responded:
When I see Anya I think of on-yah not ann-yah. You pick out gorgeous names btw! I love the name Ilse, thats so unique. Oh and I like Josephine as a middle name :)

marshac01 responded:
I also like Anya Josephine.. very pretty :smile:

dunie13 responded:
My niece is Aniyah and it is pronounced On-ni-yah. I think you wouldn't have the name you wanted if you went with that spelling.

Mandy04071987B responded:
I like Anya Josephine. Very feminine and pretty! :smile:

Snookiebob responded:
I think you should go with a middle name closer in length to the first name. I think it could be pretty too if you reverse the middle name choices with the first name choice. I like that. They are all lovely.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello, I am new to the 3rd trimester community and VERY EXCITED to have progressed this far after 2 miscarriages. This will be my 2nd child and my 4th...More

Helpful Tips

Infantino SlingRider Recalled
I just wanted everyone know that the Infantino slingrider was recalled this morning due to infant deaths. You can read the whole article at ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.