Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Are you not dialating?
Sweetpeaisme posted:
Am I the only one that isn't dilating? My cervix isn't even thinned out yet... ugh. The baby is still very high yet... My due date is the 23rd of February... but the Dr wants to take her early because of high amniotic fluid and her weight right now @ 7lbs at 34 weeks. If she hasnt dropped or show any signs of improvement by 36 weeks we are scheduling a csection
FirstPrevious12NextLast

turkis_hottie responded:
I am not dialating. I am 39 weeks and due this sat. If i have no progress by friday then i have to sched . Induction :( i really dont wanna do that but i guess we will see. So Good Luck, Know you are not the only one. :)

Jill_en responded:
I'm sorry. I don't dilate. I will contract but I don't dialte on my own. hang in there.

kalvarez responded:
I haven't begun dialating. But some women don't dialate slowly. It's really nothing to worry over. HTH Me-Kimberly(22), DH-Armando(32), 2 fur-babies: Pepita (cockatiel), Yogi (yorkie); EDD 02/17/10 PINK TEAM - Our little Lyla Elizabeth :grin:

jlenn responded:
If it helps, some women really don't dilate ahead of time. Some do, of course -- for some, dilation happens slowly over a period of weeks. But plenty of others of us just dilate all at once when the contractions start for real -- all 10 cms over those few hours of labor. Try not to worry. I've also heard it is completely normal not to have dropped yet -- 34 weeks seems early to drop, even for a first baby. A few weeks before your due date you should drop, but you're still 6 weeks out.

Kimjj514 responded:
what I remember learning in nursing school is that first-time moms generally don't dilate right away. First-time moms typically efface first and then start dilating, whereas with subsequent pregnancies moms start to dilate before they start to efface. Also remember that it's still a bit early for you. Heck, this is my 3rd baby and at my 35-week d/a I wasn't dilated at all, yet with baby #2 I was 1 cm dilated at 35 weeks. This time around, at 36 weeks I was 1 cm, and I have my 37-week d/a today. In addition, things can change overnight, literally. With DD I was 1 cm dilated up until 39 weeks. Right at 39 weeks I started having real contractions, and when I went for my 39-week d/a, I was between 3 and 4 cm dilated. Same thing happened to my SIL, except she wasn't dilated at all. She had a d/a the day before her due date and found out she was 2 cm dilated. She went into labor that night and delivered her daughter the next day.

Sweetpeaisme responded:
I wonder why my Dr is putting so much pressure on me and my baby to start dilating?! I hear about it all the time when I go there...Cant really force a body to start dialting

amandagray responded:
It's pretty normal to not dilate until closer to 37 weeks or so. And keep in mind that some women don't dilate at all until labor has begun. It really isn't the greatest way of predicting anything. And some babies don't drop until right before labor begins either...even in some first time moms. I think it is odd that they would jump the gun on a c/section just for that!

Larich_408 responded:
i'm 3 days overdue and my cervix is still not effaced or dilated! with my first pregnancy i was dilated 1cm a week before i went into labor and my the baby didn't drop until about 4 weeks away from my due date. why won't they induce you instead of giving you a c-sec? do they usually do c-secs with high amniotic fluid?

ewpy responded:
With my firdt she never dropped and I never dialated or effaced. I ended up with a c/s since I was not favorable for induction. HOWEVER a lot of women don't dialate or efface at all until they go into labor. So there is no telling if you may go into labor ;)

Sweetpeaisme responded:
Well they told me if she isnt dropping theres no way they can induce me... but im worried if they wait around for her to drop she is going to be really big by then! and if they wait for me to go into labor they said,the baby is going to be to big its risky...

Larich_408 responded:
really? cause my baby has definitely not dropped and my doctor told me i could be induced this weekend if i want- he never said anything about a c-section.

Jacobsmom417 responded:
Steph, my Dr. put me on strict bedrest for PTL and early dilation. She also told me absolutely no intercourse as there is an ingredient in semen that mimicks the hormone that causes dilation and it can help to soften and thin and dilate the cervix. worth a shot!! HTH Jamie

Sweetpeaisme responded:
I cant have intercourse either and on modified bedrest... I told DH about semen and absolutely not he said! Grr... he said we will wait until im closer to 38 weeks..

jrs413 responded:
Don't feel bad, as of Sunday (40w4d) I was not dilated. You've got time.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Amy (29) DH (30) - m/c in 12/05 ^Friday^, DS#1 11/06, DS#2 - ^Jeremiah^ - had Anencephaly, a severe neural tube defect - Born 8/14/09, Died 8/17/09, M...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.