Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
1 nipple darker than the other..
mrswelchiswaiting posted:
hey ladies,

i noticed recently (mainly when im in the shower) that my left areola is getting a little darker around the normal border ( which i know is expected) but my right one seems to look the same as it did before. the pigmented area on that one isn;t really spreading out like the left one is... does this mean that my right boob isn't gonna work??? is it a dud?

marshac01 responded:
I have never heard or read anything about the color of your areola being a determining factor in milk production.

mommabear3502 responded:
Pigment in your nipple (or lack of) doesn't mean it's a dud. From what I understand, your nipples get darker during pregnancy so that that when the baby is aiming for your nipple, your darkened areolas act as a bull's eye bc he/she can only see about 12" away right after birth.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Amber. I'm 24 yrs old, and have been married for 4 1/2 yrs, and with DH for almost 6 yrs. I am currently pregnant with our 3rd child. I...More

Helpful Tips

help
what do contractions feel like? More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful