Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Advice on how to sleep in the last couple of weeks
powerbar posted:
Hi,

I'm new to this Exchange, but am hoping I can get some advise. My wife is 36 weeks along with our first baby. Things have been going well, except in the past 3 weeks, she hasn't been unable to sleep b/c the pelvic pain is getting really bad and starting to shoot down her legs.

We've tried every type of pillow, and she wears the maternity belt during the day, but nothing is helping. She compares the feeling to having sciatica.

I'm trying to be the helpful husband, but at this point I don't know what to do to help her. Anyone have tips on how to help manage for the next couple of weeks?

Thanks
Paul

Our Bubu's foot

Our Bubu sucking his thumb

Samantha_77 responded:
Try adding more potassium and calcium to her diet. I was having this same problem and my OB told me to take an extra calcium pill along with my prenatal vitamin, it helped a little bit. I also push a pillow up to my back so I can roll back onto it without actually being on my back. This helped too. Good luck!

hipk427 responded:
same as PP. i have it so bad that i cannot lay in my bed anymore. i sleep in a recliner and have noticed a big difference. tell her to take a warm bath, tylenol and try to sleep on some sort of incline or in a recliner. thats how i manage. HTH

An_216584 responded:
A jacuzzi bath? Time to rent the jacuzzi suite at the local hotel-hot tubs of course are too warm but a jacuzzi is nice.

Also, getting on all fours an doing dromedary droops was recommended by What to Expect when You are Expecting (I haven't seen a recent copy)

But, really, it is just prep for no sleep for the next 18 years.

marshac01 responded:
I have the same exact problem at 35 weeks, and have been dealing with it for the last month or more now. My Dr. recommended a heating pad on the lower back (which I have not tried yet) and doing stretching. She also gave me Vicodin to take if I'm in so much pain I can't walk, which happens often. She's also recommended I start some physical therapy for the pain. Best thing to do really is to check with her Dr. to see what they recomend.

amyswartwood responded:
A warm bath right before bed helps me settle in for the night. I have the same type of pain and the only real cure is having the baby. I'm a bit jealous of the PP that got vicadin, but I am scared to take anything stronger than Tylenol. The pillows can be helpful, but I find that if I get stuck in a position all night I'm more sore in the morning. Just the fact that you are trying to help and looking for ways to be supportive is awesome. Keep her mind off it as best as you can and tell her to hang in there. We'll both be done in less than a month.

ajpal responded:
those are really cool pictures. how did you get them to appear in your post?

iiicrazycats responded:
another thought (if she's into it) try a relaxation cd when you're settling down for the night. we're hypnobirthing this baby and the relaxation techniques and guided meditations really help me to sleep better. when i was PG w my son, i slept SO well through the late 2nd and 3rd trimesters simply b/c of the cds. i hope she finds a way to get some sleep in before the baby comes! best of luck!

startrekkin28 responded:
you could rub her back. When I am in the last stages of pregnancy I get really bad back pain and it radiates down my legs too. Sometimes a pillow between legs help, can take Tyelnol, but my husband would rub my back and legs and that would help me relax enough to go to sleep.

Sweetpeaisme responded:
What I do is put a pillow in between my legs, helps tremendously!! I put it so it is up and down, right in the middle of my legs( the middle of the pillow should be at you're knees)

BuckeyeNutSarah responded:
Paul I think you are so sweet for trying to help her!

I haven't found anything that REALLY helps but possibly a chiropractor who specializes in pregnant women can help. There is a very light adjustment mine does to the pelvic bone to just line it up right, then the combination of a warm bath and some tylenol PM would probably help her get some sleep. Also I agree sleeping in a recliner if she is comfortable there would probably help.

Good luck!

keturyah12 responded:
I had the same problem and I went and had my back re- aligned and it made the pain go right away and I have not had any problems with sleep or pain. So maybe try that and it is not very expensive, and even better if you have health insurance.

powerbar replied to startrekkin28's response:
you're totally right. i've been massaging her legs and feet more often and it's been helping. she's been using the pillow b/w her legs and an occasional heating pad which helps as well.

Spotlight: Member Stories

24...Newly engaged!! Bonus daughter: Allie (5yrs) Daughter: Makayla (2yrs) Nursing student.

Helpful Tips

Flushable moist wipes
Just thought I'd share a tip that I learned this time around. After the birth of DD1, I was given the squirt bottle to clean down there ... More
Was this Helpful?
125 of 223 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.