Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

    Useful Things:

    • See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
    • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
    Drug free birth story!!
    MicheleVH posted:
    Short story - Calleigh Christine was born on Thursday March 4th at 8:31 am, 8 lbs 6 oz, 22 inches long.

    Long story (full details)!
    I felt my first 'real' contraction at 12:45 Wednesday afternoon. Then I didn't have anymore until 2:50. By the time DH got home at 3:30 I had had two more. We started keeping track. Some would be 10 minutes apart, others were half an hour or more apart. I told him we were darned if we did, darned if we didn't so we ate a quick supper, got the kids in and out of the bath, and ran into town Wednesday night to get groceries and see if the walking did anything. I had several contractions while getting groceries and wandering through Wal-Mart but still nothing real consistent. We got home and DH updated his mom and she said that they'd keep their phones by them. DH and I headed to bed at about 11. I was still having contractions but they were still about 20 minutes apart. At 1 I noticed they had seemed to increase so I started timing them again. They were about every 10 minutes so at 1:30 I turned on the light and woke DH up. We bummed around the bedroom for a few minutes and at about 20 to 2 he called his parents. His dad headed down (his mom was watching her other granddaughter so she couldn't come). DH got up and took a shower then he filled the tub for me and I crawled in at about 2:30. I only had two contractions the whole time I was in the tub (about 45 minutes) so I decided to get out. While I was in the tub though DH made himself some breakfast so I had some too (eggs) while I sat in the tub. I got out and walked out to the kitchen and had three contractions back to back so DH decided to start the truck. His dad had gotten here at about 3. Just before 4 we headed to town. Had to use the ER entrance. They took me straight up to L&D where I was put in a room on the monitor. I asked how long I had to be on the monitor as I still wanted to try and move around. They said they needed to see some jumps in Calleigh's heartbeat before they'd let me get off. They checked me right away and said I was around 3 cms. They told me the midwife was coming on call at 7 so if I managed to last that long she'd be able to deliver me. They checked me again at about 5:30 and I was 6-7 cms. When they checked me at about 6:45 I was just a shade shy of a 10. The dr that was on call then came in and tried to talk me into letting him break my water (again) but I said no, I wanted to wait. At 7:10 my water broke on it's own but there was meconium in it. The midwife came in and realized it was ME in labor (they had told her someone who wanted to have a drug free birth was in labor but not that it was me). She told me to listen to my body and do what it told me to do. At about 7:30 I started pushing lightly with some of the contractions but some I couldn't feel. The woman ob/gyn was on call with the midwife (since she can't do c-sections) and came in to help. She tried to get the midwife to give me pit to strengthen my contractions but the midwife said 'no, she had a bad first experience so I'm letting her do what she wants.' The contractions were pretty irregular, some I could barely feel and others I'd come off the bed. The midwife and nurse kept urging me to push on the contractions. By a little after 8 they were really urging me to just push but the contractions were still irregular in strength. The midwife asked me if it was ok if she 'lubed' me up down there with some lidocain gel and I said ok. Then I had a really strong one and I pushed hard. There was a horrible burn and I screamed (I don't think the lidocain had kicked in yet!). The nurse grabbed my head and told me to breath and in the next second I heard Calleigh literally hit the end of the bed, she came flying out! They quick clamped and cut her cord and laid her on my chest and then had to take her to make sure she was ok since she had pooped already.

    MicheleVH responded:
    DH was absolutely WONDERFUL. Before we left for the hospital he was rubbing my lower back every time I had a contraction and once we got to the hospital and found out I was progressing too fast for me to get out of bed he stood right at my side. He watched the monitor like a hawk and every time a contraction would start he'd rub my shoulder and leg and talk to me. He was also in charge of my ice, water, and wet rag. He took his 'job' to heart and was right there for me every second, all I had to do was look at him and he'd know what I wanted, wether it was ice, water, or my face wiped off. The nurse and midwife got a kick out of that. As soon as Calleigh was born he was hugging me, kissing me, and it sounded like he may have been a little teary eyed too!

    They got her cleaned up pretty quick and then handed her over to us. By 9:30 she had already eaten 2 oz of formula and then the nurse took her to get her cleaned up a bit more. By 10:45 I was up and moving and they were getting ready to take me to a normal room. I have two SMALL tears, the midwife said she wasn't even going to put any stitches in them because I'd have more issues with the stitches. We got into our regular room at about 11 and then the nurse brought Calleigh back to us. She said that she'd had the biggest poop she'd ever seen, it was all the way up her back so she got a bath right away and then she ate another 2 oz of formula!

    I did get into an argument with them about an IV, they even brought in the head supervisor to talk to me! I did finally consent but the first one collapsed almost immediately so they waited until after I delivered to start a second one because the midwife wanted to give me an IV as she was afraid I was going to hemmorage. They barely got the med given to me before the second IV collapsed so they then realized I wasn't as bad as they had thought so they took them out.

    I also ended up arguing with every nurse afterwards, except the one who was in the room with me helping deliver. They kept trying to push pain meds on me every hour, even though I clearly told them time and time again I had NO pain and didn't need or want anything! DH was also irritated with them and would answer no to the nurse before I could at times! One nurse even started pushing me to take just Tylenol. When I was discharged this morning the dr on call wrote me an Rx for pain meds, saying that I'll 'eventually' need them. I was up walking/moving about two hours after giving birth and never stopped moving.

    DH keeps telling me how wonderful I did and how proud he is of me for doing it drug free. He's convinced that me not having any drugs is why I went so fast. He also said that he couldn't get over how the nurse and midwife were so impressed with how calm and focused I was, never saying a word when a contraction would hit. He also thinks that Calleigh came out so fast because I was so lubed. He said that he didn't even realize she was coming until I screamed, which made him look down to see her head was completely out already.

    All in all I'm happy I decided to go and was able to stay drug free. I haven't had any pain, the bed has given me more pain than the birth! My who ha does look like a cow udder right now though. And I have to hand it to DH, he even got down and dirty and helped me when I'd go to the bathroom! I'd use my little bottle to rinse and then pat what I could reach before standing up and bending over so he could finish! Funny thing is, all I originally asked him for help with was pulling my underwear back up with the huge pads shoved in them! He's the one who didn't like the job I was doing cleaning! I didn't even need my ice packs for any longer than 12 hours.

    NewLO replied to MicheleVH's response:
    OMG MIchele!! I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy for you! What a positive experience :) I know how hard you've had to advocate for this birth experience and I'm just so happy for you that it worked out!! :) Congratulations on the new addition to you family! BTW I LOVE the name you chose!
    yzzil2103 replied to MicheleVH's response:
    Congrats Michele! I'm so happy everything turned out the way you wanted and good job for sticking to your wants and needs. You're a strong person!
    MicheleVH replied to NewLO's response:
    Thanks NewLO. I'm so glad all my stubbornness and hard work paid off and that the midwife was so willing to help me in the end. She even came into my room late Thursday to give me her version of my discharge papers as she wasn't going to be on call again before I went home! Friday a dr I never got to see came in to check on me and then this morning the freak out dr came in to talk to me. He was pretty mellow and meek though. I don't know if no one reads charts anymore or if they don't put half the stuff IN the chart but the first thing he asked me was how many stitches I had. I told him I didn't have long enough tears to even warrant stitches.

    It was horribly painful, not gonna lie, and there were moments when I wondered if I really was going to be able to follow through with the whole thing, especially when the first nurse kept asking me if I was sure I didn't want an epidural (young nurse who probably didn't even have a niece or nephew yet let alone her own) and she brought in the epidural consent form for me to sign but by the time she brought it to me I was already past the 'point of no return'.

    I also know my DH played a HUGE part in it as well. It's definately called labor for a reason and after 24 hours of no sleep it really takes a toll on you and I know I would tell him I wasn't going to make it or I didn't want to push. He'd take a hold of either side of my head and look me square in the eyes and tell me I was doing great and could make it. I think he told me how proud he was of me during every contraction. I know I moaned a few times during the really bad ones (he'd tell me how strong each one was reading as if I couldn't tell) but otherwise I never said a word. My lips paid the price though, with all the breathing they REALLY dried out, even with drinking water and eating ice constantly. I wish I had known they would dry out, I would have slathered lip balm on them because they actually got so dry they cracked and bled.

    And being able to get up so soon afterwards was also great. Basically I was only in bed long enough to recover a bit and eat my breakfast before I was being asked if I could/would get up. I gladly jumped out of bed!

    DH also stayed with me, other than for about an hour and a half on Friday when he ran home to shower and change clothes quick. There was a futon type couch in the room that he slept on and he had his head by my bed. I could reach him with my hand but that was it so I'd lay there and stroke his hair/head or hold his hand while he slept. It was the first time in almost three years that we hadn't slept in the same bed together!

    And I'm glad you like her name!

    tdub089 replied to MicheleVH's response:
    You go girl! Idk you..but I am also very proud of you really did do a great job!..Glad to hear you and the LO is doing superb!

    Tiffany(20) Pink Team! EDD June 7,2010
    Kimjj514 responded:

    Congrats on the birth of your LO! I'm glad you were able to have a drug-free birth as you planned.
    TakarahsMommy responded:
    moniqie23 replied to MicheleVH's response:
    Congrats on your LO
    fsuchick1976 replied to MicheleVH's response:
    Congratulations! I'm glad you had the birth experience you wanted.
    Kristy1019 replied to MicheleVH's response:
    Wow Michele! That's an incredible birth story! I'm so glad you did everything the way you wanted to, and stuck to your guns with those stupid nurses! why they try to force things on you, I'll never understand. Grrr to them, but a huge YAY to you! Congrats on your little girl :)
    hipk427 replied to MicheleVH's response:
    congrats! thats a great story

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    I am a first time Mother to Be. . I am 20 Yrs of Age and I am Having a Baby Boy Named Tristan Gabriel <3 My Estimated Due date is December 17th! I ...More

    Helpful Tips

    I can relate
    You ladies sound like I do now and I'm going through menopause. See what you have to look forward too. lol Hope you all have healthy babies ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    6 of 13 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.