Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Birth Story
j9black posted:
Short - Lorelei Day (aka Lila bean) was born at 2:15 am on her due date. I labored for about 4 hours, and pushed for 11 minutes more. NO epidural, much to my dismay! She was 6 lb 12 oz and 19 1/2".

VERY long version -
For those interested in the pre labor timeline, I noticed my mucus plug coming loose the afternoon before my due date. That same night, I felt the first contraction around 10 pm. Then another a few minutes later, so I started timing them (contractionmaster.com = awesome!). By 10:30 I?d already had 5 contractions, and the last one was just under 5 minutes after the previous one. At that point I decided to call the doctor, although I felt like it was way too early to be headed to the hospital. Of course, they told me to get in the car, but still ? I felt like I had time. So I let the dogs out for a bit, changed, got some things together, and then woke up DH around 11.
Got to the hospital a half hour later, and checked in. While I was in triage changing into the hospital gown, my water broke (just before midnight). Then I got hooked up and my DH was allowed to join me. The nurse called the doctor, and I specifically remember her saying, ?No, go take your shower, we?ve got plenty of time.? It was shortly after that she told me I?d have to be checked by the doctor before I could get an epidural. I was 100% effaced and 2 cm dilated and contractions were fairly painful. I was moved up to the L&D and it took 3 nurses to get the IV needle in to draw some blood and start the saline. Apparently my veins are not so good for IV?s.
The doctor finally showed up a little after 1 am. I was 3 cm dilated and he approved the epi. Now, at this point, it would have been useful to have my book with me describing labor. See, I hadn?t studied up very much on the different stages of labor ? because I thought I would be feeling no pain already. Had I recognized the different stages of labor, I would have known that I was in the transitional stage when the doctor was examining.
So finally I had the orders for the epidural in place?.so where?s the he** is the anesthesiologist??? The nurses kept saying, just a few minutes more, we?re just waiting on blood tests, it won?t be long?.yada, yada, yada. Another 30-40 minutes go by and I notice my contractions are changing. Now it REALLY hurts. I start screaming for anesthesia. I think I?m entering active or transitional labor. Actually?..this is the pushing part. After 5 minutes or so of this, I ask my dh to get the nurse. Not because I think there?s anything wrong, mind you, but because I?m pretty sure I pooped and I wanted the pad change. The nurse comes in and checks me, then 2 more nurses come in. Then I hear, ?Where?s the doctor, get him here right now.? Finally some actions?.my epidural is coming?!? Then another nurse checks me. All I hear is ?she?s +2.?
Finally the dr arrives a few minutes later. Afterwards my dh told me he knew what was about to happen ? but nobody had the gall to tell me. ?OK,? says the nurse, ?You?re going to experience natural child birth!? I protested ? screamed in fact. I didn?t want natural child birth, I wanted drugs!! ?Too late ? you?re just going to push a few times, and everything will feel better, I promise?. So that?s what I did. No time for an epidural; no time for an episiotomy. They just kept pouring this lubricant all over me, and I pushed for 11 minutes, and then it was over! My beautiful baby girl was out and screaming!
I did end up with a partial 3rd degree tear, but in the end it was worth it. My recovery has been very smooth, and I firmly believe that it would have been more difficult if I did have the epidural. I was able to get up right away, and caring for Lila that night was a dream. So yeah, I?m one of those crazy ladies you love to hate b/c labor was too short to get the epi. The dr said if we go for #2, get to the hospital asap, or better yet, get induced.
Now?.on to breastfeeding!

Jennax907 responded:
Wow! Congrats! I wish I had a similar birth story. My labor was 39 hours and I pushed for 2.5 hours. I got an epidural 30 hours into labor and it didn't work!!!! So, I had to do the whole thing without drugs! It sucked! The pain was unreal. I didn't realize a human can hurt so bad.

ljlflorida responded:
Congrats! This was your first time and you went that fast? Wow! Must be nice. LoL! ;) Love her name too!

I will be a first timer too, so I don't know how long I'll be in labor but it would be nice to do it in the amount of time you did. Congrats again!

NewLO responded:
Congratulations on the birth of Lila! What a fast labor!! You'll have to camp outside the L&D if you get preggo again ;) I had a similar birth story with #2. I wanted an epi but my l&d was only 2 hours and it was all over before they even called the anesthesiologist! Good luck with breastfeeding, it can be tricky but well worth it :)

mommabear3502 responded:
Congrats! I can only hope my labor is as fast as yours!!!

yzzil2103 responded:
Congrats on the LO! Glad everything went well for you!

Jess92483 replied to yzzil2103's response:
Congrats!!! Thats what im hoping for, the nurse said u can most likely compare your delivery to your moms, and my mom never knew when she was in labor, with my brother she got to the hospital at 5 and by 5:30 my brother was born. With me she got to the hospital, broke her water and i was born shortly after.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi Everyone - my name is Toni - I am 35 and pregnant for the first time with twin girls. My husband Bill and I have been married since 2007 and are so...More

Helpful Tips

Flushable moist wipes
Just thought I'd share a tip that I learned this time around. After the birth of DD1, I was given the squirt bottle to clean down there ... More
Was this Helpful?
125 of 223 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.