Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Baby William is Here!
kathyfayre posted:
William Orion (we made a last minute name change) arrived Sunday March 7 via an unplanned c-section. Perfectly healthy and cute as a button. 7 lbs 4 oz 21 inches long.

My contractions started at 8 pm on Saturday night and we went to the hospital at 4 am. I wanted an epidural as soon as we got there, and they confirmed that I was at 4 cm. They didn't want to, but from what I've seen 4 cm is usually the earliest they will introduce it, and I wouldn't take no for an answer. It was like the text book version of what can go wrong after getting an epidural. Instant fetal distress - his heartbeat kept crashing with every contraction after the epidural and the pitocin started. I developed a high fever. They tried lowering the pitocin, moving my position, but no improvement in the baby's response. So I very sadly agreed to the c-section.

My biggest concerns were breastfeeding (I couldn't even hold him until after post-op which was 4 hours after birth) and the recovery (my husband is also physically unable to lift heavy stuff or do much due to 2 herniated discs and a pinched nerve in his neck).

But fortunately, breastfeeding went well and we're now in the thick of it - which is exhausting!! The recovery has been okay although I have to say that I was getting frustrated that DH can't do much - even changing a diaper kills his neck, but he'll do it occassionally anyway.

I didn't sleep for over 50 hours - up all day Saturday, then throughout labor all night, even after the epidural I thought I would sleep but I was glued to watching his heartbeat for then next 10 hours of labor until they rolled me into surgery. Then during post-op I sat waiting to get the baby in my arms, and had to answer a million questions. Got the baby and started the breastfeeding process. The nurse then went through her whole introduction to my post-partum stay. Then I couldn't sleep Sunday night as I sat listening to make sure he kept breathing!! I finally did sleep briefly on Monday when they gave me some Benadryl for itching i was having from the medications.

We were discharged Tuesday afternoon (a day earlier than most c-sections) but I'm okay with it, because I've slept better here.

Good luck March mommies!!

ChristinaTT responded:
Congratulations on your baby boy! Too bad about all that happened after your epidural but sounds like you're pulling through. Congrats again!

Spotlight: Member Stories

after 4+ years of trying our dream is coming true.

Helpful Tips

Flushable moist wipes
Just thought I'd share a tip that I learned this time around. After the birth of DD1, I was given the squirt bottle to clean down there ... More
Was this Helpful?
125 of 223 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.