Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Need Some Reassurance
caitnop posted:
I am a compulsive lurker, but I rarely post; however, today I am in need of some advice/reassurance.

I had my 36 week appt. this morning. The doctor did an ultrasound to check the position of the baby, and he is breech. This is my 3rd child, and I've never had this before. She mentioned that he still *may* flip, but chances are slim. I have never had a c-section, and now I'm terrified. She said she will do an ultrasound each week now to look at his position.

Is there anything I can do to encourage him to move? Has anyone ever had a breech baby at 36 weeks and had him flip before birth?

I would also like to know the PROS of having a c-section. Maybe that would calm be down a bit!

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

mommabear3502 responded:
Well I'm not sure of any pros of C-section, but if the dr considers it medically necessary then you do what you gotta do.

Have you spoken with your dr regarding an external version? That's where they try to turn the baby from the outside using their hands. Before my last ultrasound, the dr said that if the baby is breech he would offer me one, but luckily LO is head down and dropping. An external version is only successful about 2/3 of the time though, but I think it's worth a shot.

I've heard of people trying ice packs on their belly hoping the baby will try to move away from the ice pack etc, stuff like that. I am not too confident on home methods being successful though. My sister's DD was breech, and she tried stuff like that to no avail. The external version was successful for her though.

Jill_en responded:
There are lots of pros to having a section over delivering a breech baby or attempting an external version. All carry lots of risks, but from my experience and research the c-section is the lesser of the evils. C-sections really aren't that bad.

GigiSage responded:
You can try a few things to encourage baby to flip, I have heard that a frozen compress at the babys head will help. I would also request for an ultrasound BEFORE going into a c-section. It will only take a few minutes and since you have had other successful deliveries you could be a good candidate for inducing. You should talk to your OB in depth about any worries you have and if you can be checked again before going into a c-section.

Good luck and I hope you have a healthy baby either way.

Heathersmith26 responded:
My first son was breech for six of my seven last weeks. Massaging helped to me. My sons head was at one o'clock so all I did was masaged my belly clockwise. I did it a little firm but not enough to hurt. I guess it encouraged him to turn.

Good Luck!

chrissyzajac responded:
im almost 39 weeks. i was told at my 37 week apt that my LO was breech and that they would check if she would flip at my 38 week apt. time came and she was still breeched. just like you i was scared about it (expecially b/c this is my first baby). she scheduled me for an inversion (manually turning the baby from the outside via rough massage). got to the hossy on the 4th and had a sucessful inversion! it didnt hurt, was just uncomfortable. (and believe me- im a HUGE wuss when it comes to pain. getting my ears pierced made me tear up) all i did was let the doc do her thing and i held my breath. LO does have time to flip but if he doesnt, they may try the inversion. if not a c/s isnt that bad. dont worry too much. things will be ok

mommabear3502 replied to chrissyzajac's response:
That's cool that it didn't hurt. My sister swore up and down that when the dr turned her baby that it hurt like a mofo, and I've heard other women say it hurt. LOL maybe all those women are just big weenies about pain!

fsuchick1976 responded:
Lurking - My first DD was breech. However, we didn't find out until I was in labor. I was dilated to 8 cm before they discovered it, so I had to have an emergency c-section. A c-section really isn't that bad. One of the great things is that it is quick. There really isn't any pain during the surgery, but you might feel the doctor pushing or pulling. I just had my second c-section and it was planned. If you can get yours planned, I recommend going that route. The recovery will be much easier. It is a much calmer process. I know some women say you can't bond with your baby as fast if you have a c-section. I disagree. With both of my DD's I was able to see them as soon as they were pulled out. They were taken to the nursery while I was stitched up. By the time I was taken to recovery, they were bringing my baby to me. I was able to breastfeed before they were an hour old.

I have a friend who had a planned c-section because her baby was breech and the external version failed. She describes her c-section as being a calm experience.

Good luck.

tabby62010 replied to fsuchick1976's response:
lurking.....
My son was breech and my doctor recommend I do some exercises to encourage him to turn. I would lay with my butt on a rolled up pillow, and my upper body down. This would make the baby uncomfortable and encourage him to turn. I did this several times per day. One day I could feel him turning, it felt so weird!

He turned, but unfortunately he was in a posterior position, so when I went into labor I had terrible back pain. I labored, pushed, and he became stuck in my pelvis. We had to do an emergency C-section after all my hard work, and he was fine.

I wish to do a VBAC this time around, because my daughter (1st baby) was born vaginally.

I wish you good luck with whatever may come!

emily8091457 responded:
My MIL 3rd baby was breech. She tells the story that she would put her ironing board against the couch (like a ramp) and then lie on it upside down!!! How in the world she did that being very pregnant I'm not sure... but she did. He did turn around... I'm just not sure at what week she was on. But I guess if you're upside down they sometimes flip. But I've also heard of babies flipping around right before delivery. Yes, it's harder for them to move, but they can do it. I guess I'd try whatever method is suggested for getting them to turn on their own... if that doesn't work, maybe try letting the docs manual turn him. And if THAT doesn't work... like a PP said, I would for sure request an u/s before going into a c-section. You never know... he may have flipped in the night and you didn't even know it. However, if nothing works and he remains breech and you need a c-section... well... just be glad we're in a day in age where that's a possibility. I always think back to a 100 years ago when so much of what is possible today wasn't... a breech baby could mean big trouble for both mom and baby. I've known many women who've had c-sections and even though the recovery time may be longer... I don't think it's all that bad. They survived!! Good luck!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello all, My name is Kat. My husband and I have a 5 yr old son named Noah, and we are expecting our 2nd baby named Hope, she is due August 27th. Hope...More

Helpful Tips

Diapers.com
First off, I super miss this board, I "graduated" 2 months ago! I miss the excitment, so I still come back and read the posts sometimes. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.