Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
36 Weeks Prego and in constant pain
An_216591 posted:
I am due April 17th so I have 4 weeks left in this pregnancy but I am in constant pain, it hurts to walk, turn over in bed, get out of bed, and walk for long periods of time. The feeling is a burning sensation and cracking feeling where my pubic bone is. I have asked my dr and he says it is normal but I just can't take the pain anymore. Has anyone ever been through this??

RachelRX responded:
Lurking...

I'm not there, but my last pregnancy, I had a ton of pain and pressure in my pelvis. It was actually where I felt all of my contractions, instead of in my back.

Sometimes it's just incredibly painful for your body to keep adapting. It it's affecting your ability to function - like wake up, have a conversation with people, go to work, etc., maybe bring it up with your Doctor again.

Hang in there!

jlenn responded:
It may very well be normal, but it also might not be. I've been struggling with pubic symphisis dysfunction -- it's so painful to move my legs at all, really. It is different from the pain and aches I was (and am) having in the rest of my pelvic area. I posted about it a while ago and Blackab suggested going to a PT or chiro. My doctor also suggested wearing a support belt (and resting as much as possible, off my feet). From what I understand of it, basically your bones are loosening, and that's normal. But with symphisis parts in your pubic bone area loosen more than they should.

I was frustrated by the midwife I saw - she just shrugged it off as normal, too. And I was thinking, I see pregnant women able to walk without crying all the time, so this can't be normal! They are not all walking around with constant, sharp, stabbing pains! When I actually got to see my doctor, he did listen and felt this was a stronger-than-normal pain. Not that it is a big problem or major health issue, but just that it's really a lot more painful! So I completely sympathize with you!

I'd try getting a support belt for the last few weeks, and if you are comfortable with chiropractors or PT, see if you can get an appointment in with someone who recognizes symphisis as an issue.

kjwbwm602 responded:
I am so with you girl! I am a week behind you and I hate that this hurts so badly because other than the pelvic pain issue I feel pretty good to be this far along I think.... BUT I have the same exact symptoms as you... although I liken the feeling to someone bashing a sledgehammer into my labia area and my hips.
Someone else on here's doc gave her a script for Vicodin... my doc did give me a script for Flexeril but I can't see how it is helping me that much honestly...
I hope someone has a -good- answer for ya because I need to look into it too!
Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone!

airjeremal responded:
This is the story of my life right now. I am due 4/15 and am in pain all the time too. I probably get 5hrs of sleep a night from having to try to get out of bed and go to the bathroom 3xs a night and then having to flip sides constantly with my body pillow and DH trying to sleep. It feels like my hips are going to unhinge and fall off! Tylenol is a total joke and the heating pad doesnt work for me but it may with you. I was prescribed Vicodin a while ago and have been very generous with how much/ often I take them. Its not working so much anymore but its better than Tylenol. If anyone has any other suggestions, I would like to know as well. I probably wasnt much help but I do feel your pain!

amyswartwood replied to airjeremal's response:
Not sure it will help you feel any better, but I have the same issue going on. My doctor said the best thing to cure it is having a baby which isn't helpful when you can't speed that up. I am scheduled for a c/s on 4/2 and it can't get here fast enough. I have found that sitting for long periods of time or even laying doesn't help me, in fact, it makes me more stiff. A nice warm bath before bed is relaxing but doesn't do much for the pain. Try to keep yourself preoccupied...doesn't work all the time, but if I stay busy I don't notice it as much during the day. As for the not sleeping, I've got nothing...neither do I.

maggie989 responded:
I am due april 1 and i am just waiting now... i did hurt quite a bit fo a while... it is best if you like think of it as "no pain no gain" and i know that it is hard to do that but if you relax it will feel alot better than if you work yourself up about it all day

MrsPrego replied to jlenn's response:
Thank you so much for responding, I just called a nurse from the hospital that I will be delivering at and she said that it is normal it is just that the cartilage stretching in between the pubic bones. She had told me that there are women who have to use walkers or be on pain medications because of how intense the pain is. She had stated that some of the women felt like the baby was just going to come out after just sitting for an hour or so. She said that I could sleep with pillows under my belly and between my legs, also just a lot of rest to ease the pain and the support belt. It is so frustrating that I cannot have a normal pregnancy and walk around and do the things I want because of this pain.

MrsPrego replied to kjwbwm602's response:
Thank you so much, It is horrible that we have to go through this, but it will be a blessing when we deliver. That day I cannot wait for so that way this pain will end. A nurse had explained that there are women who go though this that need walkers to walk or are on pain meds because the pain is so intense. She said using pillows while sleeping will help, like under your belly and between your legs, she also recommended a support belt and a lot of rest. I hope everything goes well for you! Hang in there!!

MrsPrego replied to airjeremal's response:
Thank you, I don't really like taking medication so I will try and do as a nurse said which is get a support belt and also sleep with pillows under my belly and between my legs. I totally understand getting up in the middle of the night, I get up about every 2 hours to use the restroom but it takes me forever just to get there. I have the hardest time flipping sides or even getting out of bed because I feel like something is cracking and ready to pop as soon as I move. Hang in there!!

MrsPrego replied to amyswartwood's response:
Thank you, april 2nd is almost here..hang in there!! Me trying to be precoccupied hurts, I cannot stand for long periods of time. I wish that this baby would come sooner that april 17th, just so I can be comfortable walking, getting dressed, taking a shower and just doing the normal day to day activities because right now it is so hard to do any of those things.

MrsPrego replied to RachelRX's response:
Thank you so much! Yeah I have an appt with him on monday so I will definitely be bringing all this up.

MrsPrego replied to maggie989's response:
Thank you that is so true, instead of me just worrying about it I need to relax and realize that soon she will be out and then knowing myself i will miss being pregnant :)

kjwbwm602 responded:
Well My April Baby friends.... My lil girl decided to be a March baby instead.... and it's true... having the baby... totally helps this problem we were/are having! I swear to you I ache now, but it is absolutely NOTHING like what I had been dealing with before labor. So if it makes you feel any better... maybe you all will have the same experience and will have a great recovery and feel like a new woman (after your first shower of course -wink-) AND a mother! I can't believe I made it through.... I swear it does hurt like hell, but once they pop out it's the most relieving feeling EVER!!! And oh... it's just freakin awesome! I just can't get over it... and I felt like a major weenie because it hurts and I wanted to push better than I did... I just thank God above that she wasn't full term for both of our sakes because I had a hard enough time getting her lil 5lb 8oz self out of me... if she was 8 or even 10 lbs.... we would have both not made it thru a vaginal birth... I think God was definitely looking out for us...but yeh, i'm rambling now....
Point being.... hang in there girls... there is hope!!! I promise (and be sure to let me know how it changes for the better or worse for you, I'm totally curious to know). The worse pain I'm feeling right now is my tailbone and lower back.... but I know that is prolly 85% from sitting in these -oh so comfy- hospital beds for so long!

SweetAngelGirl7t responded:
I am 33 weeks along, and have only had some of that. But I have read up on it, and my doctor has warned me about that. It is perfectly normal. It means your baby is starting to drop into place and get ready to come. Sometimes they get into that position and still don't come for a few weeks, other times, that means you are about ready. I'm sorry you are so uncomfortable and in so much pain! But you shouldn't worry about it, unless your doc starts getting concerned. From everything I have been told, that just happens to some woman, and it just plain hurts until they come. The babe is pushing down and is now wedged.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello everyone! I am a 27 year old mother of one with a little on the way. Me and my hubby have been together for 9 years now, and we are so excited t...More

Helpful Tips

Flushable moist wipes
Just thought I'd share a tip that I learned this time around. After the birth of DD1, I was given the squirt bottle to clean down there ... More
Was this Helpful?
125 of 223 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.