Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Should I Induce?
janellercreel posted:
I went to my 39wk checkup today. My Dr asked if I wanted to induce my labor next week, which will actually be on my due date. I said yes because I am so anxious, but now I am questioning my decision. Should I wait and let it happen naturally or go ahead with the induction? With my first one I started labor naturally at 41wks. Anyone here ever have to make this decision and what did you do...how was it?

Jess102600 responded:
Have you made any progress on your own at this point?

JMO, but I would go to 41 weeks before inducing. If your body and baby aren't ready, you put yourself at a high risk of medical interventions other than just pitocin and also at higher risk for a c-section.

segadelli24 replied to Jess102600's response:
I would wait the only women I know who had good induction expriences were allready dilated to 2 or 3cm and some progression on there own I waited till around 42 weeks and 2 days and then well I really had no choice , I was not dilated effaced nothing and the induction was horrible and the labor lasted 26 hours and 4 hours of pushing I was almost a c-section , I am crossing my fingers and hoping and praying I will go on my own this time or at least have some progress before hand.

Jill_en responded:
I agree. If you aren't progressed at all on your own you might signing up for a c-section.

emily8091457 responded:
Have to also agree with PP's. If you are being induced only for convenience/excitement sake... you could be asking for trouble. I've just heard so many stories of people having horrible long labors after being induced... unless you have made decent progress already and/or there is a medical reason for it, I would just let nature take its course. The baby will come when it's ready. Even though I know it's hard to wait... I'm ready too... for sure!! My doc has asked me about being induced too (mostly due to my first L&D being SOOO fast)... but I just don't know if I feel comfortable with it.

GigiSage responded:
I really do agree with the other posts. You went into labor naturally at 41 weeks last time and I think you should give it until then this time. As excited as you are, I think unless there is a health concern for you or the baby then you should let your body do it's thing.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
I hated induction with my youngest. My others were "late" according to dates and according ultrasounds. As much as I wanted to get the pregnancy over with-I am glad I was induced with all three. Youngest was induced at two weeks post dates but it was an entirely different sort of labor. Obviously, I was glad when she got here and she was fine and healthy-I just hated the labor with her-all the machines and having to take the poll into the bathroom and stuff.

Heathersmith26 responded:
I was induced with my son Noah 9 years ago. I checked in at 5 am on Monday morning, received pitocin, 24 hours later I received cervodil, (I was in pain since Monday at noon) And on Wednesday I received both medicines. I was in active labor for five hours, but I had very VERY hard contractions for 14 hours. Needless to say, I almost got the cesarian but i was scared of being cut open. I pushed for five hours, so hard in fact that all the blood vessels popped in my face. (I had purple dots all over lol) But after 36 hours, I finally had my son.

This is just my story, but i've never heard of a " great induction" I've always heard of inductions as being ten times worse than normal labor.

I wish you good luck and smooth sailing on whatever decision you make!

janellercreel responded:
Thank you all for the words of advice. When I woke up this morning I decided to call the Dr. tomorrow (closed today) and just tell him that I changed my mind. About 1 hr ago I lost my mucus plug. I'm going to wait it out and let nature take it's course :)

Again, many thanks!

GigiSage replied to janellercreel's response:
No problem and lots of labor vibes to you!

melissajc82 responded:
I am going to wait until 41 weeks for induction. I am very anxious too, but my MIL is an L&D nurse and she said that at her hospital 1/4 of all inductions end up in c-section....and i DO NOT want that to happen to me. I'll bet if you went to 41 weeks the first time you will go a little earlier this time. I know you are anxious (I am too, my due date is tomorrow!), but really, what is one more week?
JMO

janellercreel replied to melissajc82's response:
After doing much research and reading everyones thoughts here I am going to wait it out. I've been crampy all day today since I passed my mucus plug. I went on a long walk around the neighborhood today too. You're right...what is one more week of being miserable lol!! Hope yours comes soon :) Thanks

Mathis24 replied to Heathersmith26's response:
I was induce with my daughter at 39 weeks. I started at about 730 and she was born at 205 pm the same day. My doctor already to me if I was still pregnant at 39 weeks I would be induced agian for this baby. My last baby was born at 37 weeks and this one wouldn't suprise me if he came at 37 weeks. But in the end it's your decision. I found the induction quite easy.
good luck with what ever you decide

janellercreel replied to Mathis24's response:
UPDATE

So I called my Dr yesterday and spoke to my favorite nurse and expressed my concerns. She said she would talk to the Dr for me and give me a call back. So she calls and says he would like for me to come in on Monday to see if I have dilated any. He also said that he is concerned about the baby's size and does not want him to get too big, so that is why he suggested inducing. I guess I will know more by Monday :) Thanks

mawurks5 replied to Jess102600's response:
I was induced with my last two because of my health. I was dialated to two cm before the induction though. Not as painful, all natural with no meds and had both my babys in 3 hours.

I didnt notice any more pain than with my first. I went into labor on my own with him.

Maybe you should wait untill your a little dialated though?
Jo

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am the mother to the cutest little girl EVER! :) I have been with my husband for 7 years now, married for almost 4. Our daughter was born in Oct 200...More

Helpful Tips

Flushable moist wipes
Just thought I'd share a tip that I learned this time around. After the birth of DD1, I was given the squirt bottle to clean down there ... More
Was this Helpful?
125 of 223 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.