Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
She's Here! 3 weeks early!
marshac01 posted:
Short: McKenzie Lynn was born 3/16/10 @ 10:33 PM via c-section. She weighs 5lb 9oz and is 19.5" long.

Long: I went for my NST last night around 6PM. My Dr. had ordered a second one earlier in the week due to the dip in her heart rate during my NST this past Friday. So after working all day I went to the hospital for what I thought would be a normal NST. But yet again, her heart rate dropped into the 80's. They decided to keep me for observation and started another IV. Of course as soon as I moved she perked up and seemed normal. They re-checked my platelets and they had gone up to 119,000 from 110,000 this past Friday. Given that I was 36w 4 d (almost full term), my platelet level was good for surgery (and to receive aspinal), and they also did not know whyher heart rate kept dipping even though on u/s she looked good, theydecided it would be better for me to deliver now, rather than wait and have something bad happen. So I had arrived at the hospital around 6pm and they had me prepped for my c/s by 9:30/10PM. My husband was by my side the entire time, I am soooo proud of him! I have to say getting the spinal was NOT fun at all! But mynurse was sooo nice she let me squeeze her hand and rest my head on her shoulder. Finally after a few attempts, the anesthesiologist got it in and within seconds I began to feel tingly in my legs. I was really surprised at how fast it worked. My Dr. was able to start the surgery within minutes and my DH held my hand the whole time and talk to me through the whole thing. At 10:33 by breeched baby girl was born and as soon as she let out her first cry I started balling my eyes out! Both DH and I cried like babies! She has a full head of very dark hair and a lot of the tiny white milia bumps on her nose. She was breathing like a champ for being 3 weeks early! Her platelet levels are good thus far, but after surgery mine had dropped so they had to give me a transfusion. She's a very sleepy baby and has not been interested at all in nursing :( but I am told it is probably because she is so young, her body is trying to do too many things at once. So she spent the night in our room with us but after a while of unsuccessfull BF attempts, they moved her into the nursery so they can supplement her. I'm not happy with having to do this because I want her to have my milk, and my nurse is having a hard time finding a pump for me to use. I just woke up from a much needed nap and I am in some pretty good discomfort, but I am soooo happy to finally have my baby girl!! GL to yu all, hope to hear all of your birth stories!!

Jill_en responded:
Hang in there!! My DD was born at the same time and she was fine. Try not to think of her as too early because EDD can always be off. Lots of babies don't really want to eat for 24hr because they have been through a lot too so just rest and relax. Everything will be fine. So glad you and baby are healthy!!

peachyisthelife responded:
Congrats!! I'm sorry they had to take her early, but I'm sure she'll do well. Keep working on the BFing, it can be easy to give up at the beginning, and don't let the nurses push you onto formula so much b/c they may try. Good luck and enjoy your sweet little girl!

marshac01 responded:
Well, It's not Saturday, 4 days after my c-section and I am home.. but mcKenzie had to stay in the nursery. She is still not eating well enough on her own and requires feedings through her naso-gastric tube. Her suckly reflex is still just so weak and any time she tries to take a bottle she gets nothing but air and a little bit of milk. I've been pumping and delivering it to her so she's mostly getting my milk.. but over night they give her formula. She's not shown any interest in breast feeding still. She did latch on for about a minute two days ago but fell right off. She falls asleep as soon as she starts eating. She doesn't cry like other babies. The most I heard her cry was when they pulled her out of my belly. She hardly opens her eyes. DH and I are having such a hard time with this. Everyone says she's healthy, just pre-term. I have a hard time grasping the fact that a pre-term baby can have no issues breathing but can not suckle. We're really worried about her and it was so hard leaving the hospital today with a baby in my arms. Please pray for her for us!!

JessWilcox replied to marshac01's response:
I'm sorry you are going through this! It must be very hard to not be able to bring her home! I'm sure she is getting terrific care at the hospital, I hope all is well and she learns to suckle better quickly for you. It is suprising since she was so close to term that she is having problems and I know that must make the whole thing even harder. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts n prayers, best of luck to you all!

big_new_fam replied to marshac01's response:
I think suckling varries for every baby. My friend had her daughter on her EDD and her baby girl had troubles drinking from a bottle too. They ended up having to hold her toung down as they inserted the bottle just to get her to drink. I hope things get better for you.

dwaw02 replied to marshac01's response:
I'm sorry she's having a hard time. I delivered my DS at 37w as well (except for me it was b/c of high bp) and I remember my doc saying that babies at this age will usually have one sign of prematurity, whether it is breathing, suckling, having a difficult time maintaining temp, etc. With my DS it was eating as well, but fortunately he figured it out while we were in the hospital together.

What worked for my DS was the nipples they use for preemies - we came home with some of those. He never did take to bf'ing, but that never really bothered me to be honest. I think if I had cared more I probably could have gotten him to. He would also fall asleep while eating at first, but he quickly got the hang of it and I'm sure your girl will too!

I know it's difficult to see now, but it wil be fine! Also, don't worry about the not crying and sleeping all the time - pretty normal as a newborn. And some mellow babies never really cry...my 10m old niece is the quietest baby ever but very healthy! And right now I'm listening to my DS play computer games :)

Angela, DS (5), EDD 7/25/10 Pink team

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm on my way to being a first time mommy!! I've been with my hubby for 9 years, married since 10/19/07, and we decided in July 2008 to start ...More

Helpful Tips

Flushable moist wipes
Just thought I'd share a tip that I learned this time around. After the birth of DD1, I was given the squirt bottle to clean down there ... More
Was this Helpful?
125 of 223 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.