Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
I failed my glucose test : (
ILOVEGAVIN posted:
My OB office called me yesterday to tell me that I failed my 1 hour glucose test. I was at 151. I have to go back and do the 3 hour one Wed. I am soo very upset about this. Has anyone else failed their 1 hour. I have heard that most people that fail the first one with around about the same number I was at pass the 3 hour one, but I am still nervous and upset about the whole thing. Of course they called me while I was at work and I didn't have a lot of time to talk, so I didn't get to ask what causes this. Does anyone know. I did not have any problem with my first, so I am really at a loss here.

emily8091457 responded:
It is a worry to fail your glucose test because then all you do is freak out about getting GD. But don't be TOO stressed about it. It's true that MOST people who fail the 1-hour do fine with the three hour. The one-hour does not have great accuracy. I failed twice with DD#1 and had to take the three-hour twice. Then I failed it with this baby too. My number was similar to yours this time (like 156 or something... with DD#1 my numbers were like 135 or so). Anyway... I passed the three-hour just fine this time. Not sure what causes it exactly... just being pregnant maybe. I'm sure you'll be fine and pass with no issue. Good luck!

Rubyl33 responded:
I agree with pp. I failed my one hour and passed my three hour just fine. I do have to take another three hour at my next appointment only because I was pre-diabetic before I got pregnant. I'm confident that I will pass that one as well though. The worse thing is having to sit there for three hours! :)

jlenn responded:
Most people do fine at the 3 hour. But I do want to put a quick word in: if you are one of the few who fails the 3 hour (like me) it is not as bad as it seems. Totally controllable with diet, and the diet is not so bad -- it's really about eating small portions, and eating a lot. (I mean a lot. Like, not 3 meals a day. 3 small meals a day and 4 snacks. I eat every two hours. lol) And if you control it with diet, there is so little risk to your baby -- only *uncontrolled* GD presents problems. And it goes away after you give birth.

Again you probably do NOT have GD and you will probably be fine for your 3 hour. But just wanted to say that even the worst case scenario is actually not so bad!

misbell responded:
With my first DS, I failed the one hour barely and passed the 3 hr. With this pregnancy, I failed the one hour and failed the 3 hour so I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I have just started the diet plan and blood sugar testing. I really don't think it will be that bad.

What causes it is the pregnancy itself. The pregnancy hormanes we are producing work against the action of insulin reducing the effectiveness making us insulin resistant. If you do end up having gestational diabetes, it means your pancrease is not able to make enough extra insulin to overcome the insulin resistance. If you do end up failing the 3 hr, you very well may be able to control it with diet and exercise. Try not to worry too much. You will do what you have to for your baby be it diet, exercise and insulin.

The biggest thing they worry about is having a large baby. The baby could be big but not necessarily be full term so they will keep an eye on the baby's size to make sure he/she isn't getting too big. Also, the baby will not be diabetic just because you have gestational diabetes.

Good luck and I hope you pass your 3 hr. Less than 15% of pregnant women have gestational diabetes.

Qs_mommy responded:
Don't worry! I failed my one hour and passed my three hour. I thought FOR SURE I had GD too, because my baby is measuring huge, and I have a slight case of polyhydramnios (excessive amniotic fluid), all signs pointing to GD. But nope!

You'll be fine, and even if you do have it it's usually pretty easily managed.

Good luck!!!

Briarrose31 replied to Qs_mommy's response:
I failed both 1 hour and 3 hour. I have gestational diabetes. It is a pain in the butt but can be controlled with diet. I was very depressed about it at first but have become used to it. I just miss my darn chocolate milk and sweets. But your body will thank you ;)) I have completely stopped gaining weight and even lost some pounds. But, baby is doing good.

Good luck and hope you pass.

ILOVEGAVIN responded:
Thank you everybody. I feel better about it all now. I just don't know what I am going to do for 3 hours. At least I get a break from work I guess!

ljlflorida replied to ILOVEGAVIN's response:
Mine was actually 4 hours from start to finish. Boring!!! The lab I went to had a recliner, although not very comfortable, and I took my laptop and several books. I ended up watching 1 and half movies on my computer while there. And I played a few computer games, too. I didn't have Internet at the lab so the other stuff kept me pretty occupied. Good luck! :)

Briarrose31 replied to ljlflorida's response:
Yeah, I did the same. I kicked back in an adjoining waiting room (it was at the hospital) and brought my lap top and a book and basically just posted away on Web MD and my blog, lol. It actually went by rather quick.

Good luck. I know how much that sucks!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ryan and no my parents knew they were having a girl :) lol I get that all the time. I am 28 and I am 34 wks pregnant with my first viable p...More

Helpful Tips

Infantino SlingRider Recalled
I just wanted everyone know that the Infantino slingrider was recalled this morning due to infant deaths. You can read the whole article at ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.