Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Questions and Update on Bleeding
jle09 posted:
First I'd like to say thank you to all of you who responded to my post about bleeding yesterday. A little update, the bleeding stopped about an hour and half later, never got worse than appearing on toilet paper, and two small spots on my pad. I know the baby is sitting really low (don't really feel any movement above my belly button, just my lower pelvic region) and things feel kind of swollen and red down there - TMI sorry. So basically I'm thinking I rubbed myself raw with toilet paper or something. It is kind of painful to wipe.

I wasn't able to breastfeed with my son for personal reasons (not physical, never got a chance to try), but I feel really strongly about trying this time. Any advice on what I can do to prepare? I signed up for a breastfeeding class at my hospital but that isn't until May. Should we still stock up on bottles and some formula just in case? I don't plan on buying a pump until after it becomes obvious I can in fact bf.

Secondly, my husband has expressed interest in cloth diapering at least at home. Once I return to work, we both agree it will be easier on the babysitting to use disposable diapers, but at home we could still cloth diaper. Anyone know any great books or website that offers advice? Where can we buy supplies?

Any help, advice, or stories on either subject are greatly appreciated.

smileysmom responded:
As far as the breastfeeding goes, sounds like you working in the right direction now.... the classes can be great tools for you to get general information on what to do and what to expect. You might want to try looking into BF groups such as the LeLeche League.... they offer invaluable information. As a side note... I never breastfed but I did pump my milk for my DD. DD wouldn't latch, then developed jaundice in the hospital because she hadn't eaten so to avoid a NICU stay, I started pumping and it was great! My DH was able to feed her (as well as grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.) and she was still getting the same nutrition as if I was BFing her. It was much easier on me with returning to work and even being able to go out of the house for a few hours. I never had to find a private place to feed her (I did have to plan my pumping sessions, but I knew in advance when they would be... you never know when a newborn is going to want to eat!)....

Anyways, just throwing that out there as an option... you didn't really say why you didn't BF the first time (and it is no one's business but your own) but I wasn't able to BF at first so I found an alternative solution! Oh, and it is MUCH cheaper than formula!!!!!!! The one-time investment in the pump will pay off as long as you use it for about 8-10 weeks! (well, that's with a Medeal Pump-in Style)

Good luck and I don't cloth diaper so I can't help you there..... sorry!

jlenn responded:
Honestly, I would not stock up on bottles or formula as a just in case -- if it turns out you need them, you'll have time to get some. Your milk won't come in for a few days after birth and you'll be learning the breastfeeding ropes during that time. So your baby won't lose out.

My biggest suggestion is to make sure you talk to the breastfeeding consultant at the hospital when you give birth -- I think all hospitals have them. She will be an enormous help. The way that worked for me was that she came in the first day I was with my baby and sat with me as I tried to breastfeed. She told me how to make sure he was latching on correctly, things to watch out for, etc. etc. *Very* helpful. I didn't know what I was doing, and she really, really helped.

As for cloth diapering, I never have done that. But there is a website that gives a good intro to cloth diapering:
http://www.momadvice.com/parenting/cloth_diapers.aspx

fsuchick1976 responded:
I wouldn't stock up on formula yet. You don't want to stock up on one brand and then find out it doesn't agree with your baby. Get on the mailing lists for formula companies and they will send you checks (coupons) and samples. The hospital will probably give you samples too. If you can't breastfeed, the samples should get you by until you can send someone to the store. If you can breastfeed, you can always give the coupons to a friend who formula feeds (that's what I do). It wouldn't hurt to buy a few bottles. If you do breastfeed, you can use them for pumped milk.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I met in college in 2000, started dating in 2002 and were married in 2008. We are expecting our first, a son, in May, although I don...More

Helpful Tips

36 weeks
Hi, since the secon trimester I have had a lot of pain in the pelvic region and between my legs. Today I lost my mucous plug and have been ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.