Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
3.5 pounds at 29 weeks?
cyfarianne posted:
Hi! I just got back from an u/s and LO is measuring 3.5 pounds. I am 29w5d. Tech said it was normal, but everything I can find says 2.5 pounds is normal. I am not overly worried or anything...DD1 was 9 pounds at birth so I guess I cook them large, but just wondering if anyone else measured comparably at 29 or 30 weeks.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

blufaerie responded:
my lo was measuring 2.5lbs at 25 weeks, i am 29 weeks today and i'm willing to bet he is 3 lbs now, my dd was 5lb 8oz when she was born at 37wks. so i guess this lil fella is gonna be a hoss. during my dd's birth, she got stuck on the way out and had to be pulled out with forceps(the dr also said she would break my tailbone on the way out, thankfully she didn't) so i'm pretty nervous about this one.

mrsmiu responded:
I also have a big one on board I went for an ultrasound last week (at 28 weeks) and the tech said the baby was about three pounds and in the 72nd percentile. DH and I were shocked! We went to the doc this week and she also said I was measuring ahead based on my belly measurements and the US, but she was totally happy about it. She said that she would worry if the baby was too small, but a little big is a good thing. She said if the baby kept up this rate and I went to 40 weeks we could expect an 8-9 lb baby!! I asked if this meant I would go into labor earlier than 40 wks and she said she has no clue at this point, and will check me as we get further along. She also said the baby could have just gone through a big growth spurt, and might slow down a bit. Who knows? I was just SO happy that this means the baby is healthy and eating well. She said to me "whatever you are doing, keep doing it because your baby is very healthy" - so that made me feel good. You made me laugh about "cooking them large" - my doc said the same thing. She said to me "you are such a small girl, no fat and all baby - but you make a big baby!" LOL

Jayhawk78 responded:
I had an u/s at 28w2d and they estimated that my LO was about 3 lbs at that time. The tech told me they could be off by as much as 1/2 lb either or - but she was fairly certain she was a 3 pounder that day. My doc didn't say anything about her being too big at this point so I think we're okay!

Temeritee responded:
mine was exactly the same at 29 weeks. 3.5 lbs the doc said she was measuring pretty big but there is nothing to be worried about

blackab replied to Temeritee's response:
mine was 3.5 pounds at 25 weeks she is 6 pounds now at 34 weeks i have big babies

blackab replied to blackab's response:
woops typo.....she was 3.5 pounds at 27 weeks (not 25) and now at 34 weeks is 6 pounds

cyfarianne responded:
lol...we should start the fat babies club Thanks for making me feel better that there was nothing wrong healthwise.

Temeritee replied to cyfarianne's response:
lol

cowgirlup96 responded:
Hi I gave birth to my son at 30.5wks he weighed 3lbs 1 oz. He was in the 45% prior to having him. So I think it is normal.

orin34 responded:
I was 29 weeks exactly at my last appointment and my LO measured at 3.7 lbs, it's an 'estimate' though....ultrasounds can be or - a couple lbs at the END of pregnancy, so it makes sense that they would be off a lb either way at 29 weeks

leemarie33 responded:
My LO's approx weight at 30 weeks was 3lbs 9oz and at 36 weeks her approx weight is 6lbs 11oz! Dr. said it was a good sign that the baby is healthy. I just hope she comes a little early so she doesn't do too much damage on the way out!

MarissasMommy replied to leemarie33's response:
I was 27w 5d at my "high risk" ob u/s. They said he was 3lb 3oz and measuring about 2 weeks ahead. I'm SO nervous about delivering a huge baby. I had a 32 week preemie at 3 lb 12 oz and my second DD was also preterm at 35 weeks 6lb 6oz. So, apparently, DD#2 was going to be pretty big (dr guessed about 8lb). With this little boy, they are giving me 17-P shots to help me make it full-term, but as I said, I'm freaked out by the idea of him being gigantic! I already worry about how miserable I'll be those last few weeks, considering I've never experienced them before, and I'm already pretty uncomfortable at 29 weeks...

But I will stop fussing. I'd rather have a ginormous, healthy baby boy, than a "wimpy white boy" preemie!! (I did NOT come up with that term, and if anyone has never heard it before, please don't get upset with me....it's a term the NICU dr's used when I was in there with DD#1)

ababyboy4Jenn responded:
When I was 28 weeks my baby was 4 lbs. 12 oz...he's always been big. Now I'm 37 weeks and he's around 9 lbs....I get a u/s on the 27th, and if he's bigger than 10 lbs I get a c-section. I got a big/lil man!!!

cyfarianne replied to ababyboy4Jenn's response:
Wow, I think you officially win! You can be president of the fat babies club!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi ! My name is Erica, my husband and I are expecting our first 9/14. It's a girl!!!! So excited. :)

Helpful Tips

36 weeks
Hi, since the secon trimester I have had a lot of pain in the pelvic region and between my legs. Today I lost my mucous plug and have been ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.