Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
DF Drill around due date
5ylver posted:
so I've been feeling like LO may be born at least 2 weeks early. My due date is the 21st of June. every month DF has drill weeken, just saturday and sunday i's an hour and a half away and he always comes back saturday after drill then goes again on sunday. this time they had to do stuff at night so he spent the night there on saturday... boy did I cry like a baby that night! it was my first time being home alone all day and overnight. I felt totally unsafe even though these apartments are very much protected. (you have to have a key to even get into the whole place!) and every year they spend roughly around 2 weeks with drill in another state ugh.

Anyways back to the subject of this post. while at drill this past weekend (also DF found out next drill weekend is the 1st and 2nd of may... the weekend after his birthday which I took off work to be with him... looks like I'll be home bored and alone again like I just was since I didnt have to work) omg lol ok seriously no more getting off track wih this post lol sorry ladies. ok so he found out that he has AT (I don't knowexactly what that means I just know it's his yearly drill) he has AT June 7th through June 18th. he doesn't know where yet. A little bit more east than indiana is all he knows. we live in Arizona. I'm worried I'll go into labor while hes not here. But the good news is the second he found out when it is he contacted eveyone he possibly could, the head honcho said they will give him a number to give to me and should anything happen, I am to call that number and let them know and they will send DF on his way and he could make up those drill days some other time. IDK how long it will take for them to get him on a plane (hours maybe?) and the flight here, plus the hour drive to the airport plus the hour drive back. I'm just cared by the time he gets here I'll have had the baby already and I don't want to be n the delivery room without him. I refuse to let anyone besides DF in there so I really hope I don't end up by myself in there. And even if that does happn, Is it too selfish for me to not let anyone see her until DF has arrived and has seen his daughter??? I really want me and him to be the first to see her

5ylver responded:
AT= Advanced Training lol

kdbentley responded:
I can understand why you are worried that he may not get there in time.

I don't think you are being selfish if you don't let anyone else see your daughter before he does. This is his child too, hopefully your family will understand.

Ingawahkiki responded:
That's a tough situation.

It is a very reasonable concern and I think it would make me nervous too. I totally agree that NOBODY other than DH will be in the room with me. If anything were to hinder him being there, I would do it alone.

I also completely understand not wanting anyone else to see the baby before DH. That child is yours, his, and NOBODY elses. If anyone thinks they should see the baby before the baby's father...then THEY are being selfish!

5ylver responded:
Thank you ladies. I was up late lat night thinking about it and what my family or his parents ould think/say if I told them they could not see herbefore DF. Then I was thinking maybe it's a bad idea although I don't really feel that way I know someone in the family will try to make me feel guilty about it

cburns8807 responded:
Fingers Crossed your LO decides to stay put while he is away for AT. But just to be on the safe side I'd have a plan B like who youd call to give you a ride to the hospital, if you can't drive yourself, and you might not want to be alone while you are in labor, so do you have a friend or family member you'd feel comfortable laboring with, but not nessacarily be in the delivery room while you are pushing. And no you are not being selfish for wanting her daddy to be the first to meet her. I'm just glad his unit is going to let him go home during training if you do go into labor, because trust me some units won't

blackab replied to cburns8807's response:
It's definitely something I would worry about too and would add anxiety to the situation for sure! BUT good news is first timers don't usually go early and labor is usually NOT quick the first time around. You will "most likely" have already been checked and know your status and if you are like most people will have lots of early labor contractions before the big day so maybe when the time comes if you haven't made any progress and haven't had too many early labor contractions you will feel a bit better about it. Obviously this is something any of us would stress about, but try not to think about it bc you know there isn't anything worry will do to change it but just pray that everything works out and he can be home when the time comes!

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
I have to weigh in here on the other side. If I were you, I would seriously consider if you have a family member who would be willing to be back up while he is away. I would also consider seeing if you can find a doula to help you during labor. If he isn't there when the baby is born-dozens of people will probably see her before he does. If you have a good relationship with your family or with both families-I don't think that really takes away from him seeing his baby for the first time. If you aren't close-then that is different.

On the other hand, I thought my kids would be early-none of them were...so you might have nothing to worry over after all.

5ylver replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
I won't be letting anyone see her before he does. unless he's a day or 2 late which I doubt anything less than a day then everyone else can just wait.

orin34 replied to 5ylver's response:
I am sure the people will understand...... In my case (since I am having a C-section and then a cyst removed) my MIL wanted DH to take the baby while I am in recovery and bring the baby out so she can "be the first" to hold him (so she will be holding MY baby before I do???? I think not lady) .... It is really strange having people jockey for positions on when they get to see the baby or hold the baby..... it is very competitive and it stresses me out, I really don't care so long as I get some bonding time with my child before the masses come down on us...... Anyways, My DH's family is completely unreasonable but I am sure your family will completely understand..... not all in laws are lunatics..lol

Jess92483 replied to orin34's response:
i agree with you 5ylver, i'd wait for DF to see her b4 anyone else does, i think its a special time for you and your SO to see and hold the baby first, afterall, the grandparents already had their special times with their babies when they were born, this is about us darnnit!!

5ylver replied to Jess92483's response:
thank you ladies. I'm just debating on whether or not I should call them IF it does happen just because I don't want anyone stressing me out by arguing that they should get to see her. lol

but that is IF I should happen to go into labor while DF is gone. I could be getting myself worked up for nothing lol.But considering that he leaves 2 weeks before my due date and comes back 3 days before due date, it is a little worrying and almost seems like it could happen

orin34 replied to 5ylver's response:
If I had my way, I wouldn't call anyone until we are ready for visitors. When I was planning on doing a vaginal mil said that she wanted a call as soon as labor started so she can be there... now that I am having a Csection, I am sure it will be scheduled and because of the babies size I will probably have to schedule it BEFORE mil goes out of town (Darn! :()..... so there is no way around that one, I will just have to make it clear to DH and the nurses that I don't want any visitors until I get a chance to bond.... ANYWAYS, the point of all that: If your family is like mine, then you are better off waiting to call... because once they get that call they will come running

5ylver replied to orin34's response:
lol they will probably come running but I hope they enjoy the four wall enclosure we call the waiting room. lol

Spotlight: Member Stories

DH and I have been married since Sept 2009, together since Sept 2007. I have a 4 year old son from my previous marriage and just had my baby girl 1/31...More

Helpful Tips

Infantino SlingRider Recalled
I just wanted everyone know that the Infantino slingrider was recalled this morning due to infant deaths. You can read the whole article at ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.