Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
anyone taking Procardia?
Lilliahna posted:
depending on whose calculations you go by I am either 34w6 d or 36 w exactly today. I have been having regular contractions for 17 days now (back to 8mins apart now) . I am fully effaced, between 2 & 3cm dilated. Dr wants my little man to stay in until 5/8 at least so he will be 37 w by her calc. I was given the steroid shots last Fri to develop hislungs,along with shots of something (started with a T, can't remember name) to stop the contractions. After todays appt she prescribed Procardia and complete bed rest ( I have been on ultra light duty for a week already). When I read the side effects listedon this site it says it can reduce the blood flow to the baby. Is anyone else taking this or has anyone taken this before? I am a little nervous about taking meds except vitamins in general : ) TIA

Lilliahna responded:
really need advice!!! *bump*

blackab responded:
I have taken both procardia (nifedipine) and terbutaline (what they gave you at the hospital in a shot). I took them at the same time to try to stop contractions...neither one took them completely away for me but procardia has way less side effects (that you will notice) than terb does. The most common side effect is low blood pressure. So if you start feeling light headed call your OB and they may reduce the prescription. I took them both for 4 months while on complete bedrest and they took me off both meds and bedrest at 35 weeks. I had him the next day and he was perfectly fine. While on the meds I still had contractions 5 min apart everyday...some days longer than others but I never got more than 80% effaced and 4cm dilated until my water broke at 35 weeks.

I understand your doc wanting you to make it to 37 weeks but if you are uncomfortable taking meds then talk to them about it, I honestly don't know of any doctor that would stop labor past 35 weeks and some past 34 weeks.

Really procardia is very commonly used to relax the uterus in patients with PTL (its actually an asthma drug that helps relax smooth muscles in the bronchii) since your uterus is also a smooth muscle it also can help relax the uterus. My little guy is 2yo and has no issues...he was the one in utero when I was on both meds for 4 months.

Hope that helps!

blackab replied to blackab's response:
forgot to mention the "reduction of blood flow to the baby" is what happens if your blood pressure gets too low. More than likely you will be able to feel if your blood pressure drops. It never effected mine and I was on the max dose you can take and I already run a decently low blood pressure. If you take one dose and it makes you feel funny...just don't take anymore. Did she prescribe it PRN (as needed) or round the clock (like every 4 hours)?

blackab replied to blackab's response:
sorry i have a typo and its bugging me LOL procardia is a heart medicine (antianginal) and the terb (brethine) is the asthma medicine...but they both are used for the same thing....relaxing the smooth muscle....which the uterus is made of so naturally it gets relaxed too. The advantage to procardia is you usually don't have to take it as often...it come in time released capsules and usually only have to take 1 or 2 per day whereas the terbutaline (brethine) you have to pretty much set your alarm by every 4 hours. I actually had the terb in a subcutaneous pump in my leg for 4 months and it gave me a continuous steady flow with a bolus every 4 hours. The procardia I took by mouth once or twice a day. (i can't remember).

Lilliahna replied to blackab's response:
Thank you for responding!
I am taking it every 6 hours, it stops them for about 2-3 hours,
I truly appreciate the information! I am taking it for only two weeks (thank goodness) : )
My BP is still running high, so I take that to mean LO is still getting the blood flow he needs

crfisher05 responded:
I was initially put on Procardia, but had an allergic reaction. Now I am on Brethine. I was raised in a family that almost never took traditional medications, but used homeopathic remedies. So, taking a medication every 4 hours created a lot of anxiety for me. I have had a few side effects, such as headaches, but its worth it to keep my LO inside of me for a couple more weeks. Just hang in there!!

cocoamomma responded:
Hi, I'm taking Procardia now. I had no idea it reduced the blood flow to the baby! How is your baby doing now? Is he healthy?

cocoamomma replied to blackab's response:
Hi, I'm new to this and after reading your post I feel a bit better about taking the Procardia my doctor has prescribed. I am to take it 4 times a day until I reach my 36th week. My doctor knows how I feel about taking this med. but she says she would rather I take it than have my baby too early. I'm just nervous that something will come out later saying this drug led to children getting ADD/ADHD or some other medical condition. I know, I'm very paranoid!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Sarah and my husband and I are excited for our second son! We feel blessed with the one we have know and grateful after 2 miscarriages that...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful