Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
How do you handle ppls opinions/vent
ClosetRocker posted:
I'm really starting to get annoyed by people who feel that they should have an opinion about what my daughters name will be. DH and I love the name Melrose, it's the only name that he and I actually agree on and are both excited about but for some strange reason EVERYONE seems to think that they should have some input on LO's name. Melrose is a different name (especially for my culture) but I love it and people are really starting to piss me off by trying to push their opinions. It seems like every older black woman (including my mom and MIL) hates the name, but so what it's a different day and even if it was 1920 I can name my kid whatever the hell I want, right? WRONG I guess.

Today one of my supervisors (not a friend or family member, just a supervisor) asked me what I was having and what I was naming the baby. I told him what we were having and told him that we were stuck between 2 names (which is a lie but I didn't feel like hearing his opinion). This dude keeps pushing the issue so I tell him McKenzie and Melrose and he immediately says "oh, I don't like Melrose" so I say "good thing that it's not your kid". What a effing jerk, I'm pretty sure that he already knew what we were planning on naming her but wanted me to tell him so that he could tell me that he doesn't like it because most of the supervisors at my job know her name (my mom is a supervisor). I'm at whits end with these idiots, am I taking it too personal? I feel like I'm constantly defending our choice of name, but why? I figure that if you want to name a kid then have you own OMG!

How do I get it across to people that I don't give a rats behind about their opinion on my childs name?

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
You said it perfectly! Everyone has an opinion and some will push it upon you. This behavior is rude and sometimes to politely explain it might help. Take the higher ground when addressing the supervisor.

dwaw02 responded:
This is precisely the reason why I don't do much sharing about names. With DS we kept it a secret until he was born. With this one we are discussing it, but still haven't said if we've chosen one for sure.

People are very rude and need to learn how to shut their traps!

Angela, DS (5), EDD 7/25/10 Pink team

5ylver responded:
people can be very intrusive and think they have a right in deciding the baby's name. I was furious with DF's parents for even suggesting names to him and throwing out the idea of naming after DF's grandfather Juan or Juanita if we hav a girl, sorry but 1. I HATE that name 2. this is not their baby and 3. this should have never been talked about by them and for DF to go along with it without me there just added fuel to the fire. MIL knew darn well that I did not want the baby named after anyone and there she was trying to talk a name into DF. ugh

Anyways, I love the name Melrose. It shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks. This is YOUR baby and you and DF like the name. "good thing this isn't your baby" would probably be something I'd say a lot lol but at some point I'm sure I'd reach a breaking point and completely bite someone's head off. I guess after a while if someone asked about the name I'd begin to say "why does it matter what WE are naming OUR kid" lol but I just get cranky from time to time lol. anyways good for you! staying with the name after criticism shows how strong you are. I wish I held my composure a little more like you do lol but sometimes people just need to know their place. try not to let it get to you I know that's knd of hard. You have a beautiful baby growing in there, that's all that matters.

ClosetRocker replied to 5ylver's response:
Thanks guys!

Thanks 5ylver, we love the name too. I am definitely sticking to my guns and naming my baby Melrose, hell or high water! lol.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to ClosetRocker's response:
Good for you! It is a precious name.

Temeritee responded:
I don't understand why they don't like the name. I absolutely love it, and that's really awesome you said that to him, lol.

ClosetRocker replied to Temeritee's response:
Thanks. The ugly supervisor (lol) told me that it sounds like a show or a old person.... What a dork!

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to ClosetRocker's response:
When I named my daughter Erica, everyone thought it was after some soap opera lady. You won't stop the opinions but they really have no factor.

mommyof3kiddos replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Lainey - that's crazy! My neice is Erica and I have never once thought of her and thought of soap opera lady you're referring to. I think will always find a connection or a problem with a name if they really want to. My brother and SIL had picked out the name Eric for a boy and I think once they found out it was a girl they just added the A and were done. lol

mommyof3kiddos replied to ClosetRocker's response:
Tell him to stick it as nicely as you can being he's a supervisor!

ClosetRocker replied to mommyof3kiddos's response:
LOL!!!

Taylove11 responded:
I'm sorry that you're dealing with this. I think a lot of people think that just because the baby isn't here yet that they are entitled to give their opinions on the name. However, once the baby is here and you say her name is Melrose, everybody will be, "Aww, that's such a pretty name." "It suits her perfectly." etc. Hang in there girl! I think it's a beautiful name.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to mommyof3kiddos's response:
But it goes to show how rude people will behave. I think some view pregnant women as naive.

MarissasMommy replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Melrose?? Just Kidding!! I hear ya, about people and their opinions. I mean, if we ASK for their opinion, it's one thing. But if no one is asking, then keep your opinion to yourself!! I'm dealing with the situation (like Juan/Juanita) where we have family members on my DH's side wanting us to use a family name that I hate! I hope they'll get over it, because I'm NOT using that name!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Married with 3 beautiful children (2 boys and a girl)

Helpful Tips

Diapers.com
First off, I super miss this board, I "graduated" 2 months ago! I miss the excitment, so I still come back and read the posts sometimes. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.