Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
can u dilate without contractions?
An_216620 posted:
just wondering if ur cervix can dialate without having contractions? ive been in soo much pain down there and it feels different than my regular pelvic pain. im not contracting(that i know of)but it hurts so bad i took a long shower and secretly cried the whole time. im 37 wks and have a dr appt tmrw including a pelvic exam and my oh my im scared its gonna hurt plus he might strip mb too. what have i gotten myself into? i know ill ask him, but my appt isnt until 2 in the afternoon so if anyone knows the answer to my question id appreciate the feedback- maybe u had a similar experience?

cowgirlup96 responded:
You could be having braxton hicks or back labor which can cause you to dilate without being in labor. With my daughter I was 4cms dilated from 27wks until 36wks when I had her. With my son this time I was 1cm dilated and had no REAL contgractions but had back pain and a whole lot of vag pressure to the point I couldnt walk or sit. Which could have been a form of contgractions i just ignored them. So yes you can dilate without contgraction.

bcfrost816 replied to cowgirlup96's response:
yes, you sure can. I remember with my first DD at my 36 week check up I was 2 cm. dilated and had not had any contractions. Either that, or they were never strong enough for me to notice.

Don't worry about the pelvic exam, I did not think that it hurt at all. Just feels like a regular pap to me. I know some women say it hurts, but I did not think it did. I also had my membranes stripped at 39 weeks and I did not think that hurt either. Just a side note, once I had my membranes stripped I went into labor about an hour later.

bugs1981 responded:
i got checked at 35 weeks 1 day and there was nothing going on and then at my 36 week appointment (6 days later!) I was 3 cm and 90% with no contractions in that time frame! I am hoping the same thing is happening right now! Let us know and best of luck to you!

PS- I had her the next day after only 4 hours of start to finish labor! :) I hope you have a similar situation!

Lysana responded:
With both of mine, by the time I was induced (just past 39w), I had dilated to 3 cm without any noticeable contractions. Maybe a few more BHC with my son (#2) but with DD, I didn't feel anything before getting to 3 cm.

--
Kelly (31) ~*~ Eliana (3) ~*~ Joshua (1.5) ~*~ Rebekah (30w6d, EDD 7/16)

An_216621 responded:
UPDATE::::

i asked my doc before he did the exam and basically said u need contractions to dialate then checked me and i was 2 and 1/2 cm! he was like are u sure u havent been having contractions?? not that i know of and he said if i keep progressing this way (last week i was at 0) i wont make it to my due date- may 31-. bring it on im ready! im not sure if he stripped my mb and i forgot to ask. ill probably call tmrw to see.

cute side note-- my 3 1/2 yr old said after u have the baby u wont have a baby in the tummy and u can get back to ur little again!!! im with ya son!

Spotlight: Member Stories

me, DH, DD (9/25/08), DS 9/24/10-but will be here via c-section before.

Helpful Tips

Diapers.com
First off, I super miss this board, I "graduated" 2 months ago! I miss the excitment, so I still come back and read the posts sometimes. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.