Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
DH- Sympathy weight gain
orin34 posted:
My DH has gained weight and he feels REALLY bad about it because I will walk out of the hospital weighing less and he won't. I don't think it is "sympathy weight gain" I think it is just because his eating habits are terrible (he eats really late at night and he never waits long enough in between meals to feel hungry.... he just eats..... a lot....lol
He is adamant that he wants to lose the weight after the baby is born and he says "we are going to get you out and get your baby weight off too!" (I have only gained like 15 lbs so far.... so it is a far cry from losing a ton of baby weight, but whatever...lol)

Take the Poll

Do you have a significant other that has gained weight during your pregnancy....?
  • Yes!
  • No!
vote
View Poll Results

DaleCDean29 responded:
my Bf has gained some weight during my pregnancy although I have been trying to get him to eat better. But with him its a lack of exercise he had no ambition to do more than he has to. Although I can't blame him totally he has a bad back and his knees are a little messed up but I just tell him your going to walk with me and the baby if you like it or not.

cyberkat99 responded:
My DH is very tall and thin normally, but because I was sick up until about 17 weeks, I would give him the food I couldn't eat. Let's just say he was showing way before I did, lol! Fortunately he has a fast metabolism or he would have gained a lot more since I still can never finish a meal. His belly is already almost back to normal, but he did get teased by friends and family for awhile about whether his baby was kicking too!

mkdawn06 responded:
My dh has gained a lot of weight this pregnancy. So have i though. I guess that can happen very easily when i crave snacks and sweets. If they are in the house he is bound to eat them too. Also i am really bad about starting to eat something and ask him to finish when i cant eat it all. lol. So i let him blame me for gaining weight. It just means me and dh can work out together losing weight after lo comes.

Temeritee responded:
My DH has gained weight this pregnancy as well as the other two. I'm kind of glad he has though. When we met, he was really scrawny, muscular, but scrawny (he was a kickboxer), and weighed 140.. so IMO he looks so much better with some weight on him! He weighed himself at work the other day and was depressed all day about his weight. I'm guessing he'll be wanting to work out with me when I can!

byoung1979 responded:
You ladies are lucky that your men GAINED weight!!! Mine always loses weight in the summer months because of his job and how busy he is. I hate it!!! This is my first pregnancy and I have gained about 35 pounds at 28 weeks!! Yikes, I know. I have about 5 more pounds to gain before I top what hubby weighs and I am not looking forward to it. I have never in my life weighed more than I guy I am with so this will be horrible!

ClosetRocker replied to byoung1979's response:
Lol, I'm glad that I'm not alone. DH is uber weight conscious so if he even thinks that he's getting a gut he's at the gym. I secretively want him to put on about 20lbs lol.

Lysana responded:
My husband hasn't specifically gained weight during this pregnancy, but he did gain more than a few pounds over our first several years of marriage (in all fairness, so did I, LOL) and we are going to both work on losing weight after the baby gets here (I think he is going to start sooner...no reason for HIM to wait, LOL).

I've had a lot more pain with this pg than I did with the other two, and I've speculated that it is at least in part due to the 25 lbs I gained right before becoming pregnant (nice, huh?) A couple of days ago (or yesterday?), DH asked, "So, what are we going to do to get in shape after the baby gets here?" Usually I am the one asking that question, but I think it's helped that I've been *cough* a little irritable lately due to the pain, and he doesn't want things to be like this again when I'm pg with #4. So he is maybe more motivated to be the "leader" in getting into shape than I am, for once.

I am not very self-motivated, and he is very difficult for me to motivate, so if I am the "leader," I end up doing things alone, and for about a week or two before I quit. If HE were to take the lead, I'd be happy to follow along, and it might last longer.

Anyway, long answer, and not really what you asked...but even though he hasn't gained weight "with" me this time, I do have a DH who will need to lose weight along with me after the baby is born.

Good luck to your DH - and you - with it! (and I agree, 15 lbs isn't bad at all, it's about perfect). XD

--
Kelly (31) ~*~ Eliana (3) ~*~ Joshua (1.5) ~*~ Rebekah (31w3d, EDD 7/16)

MizLeah responded:
BDF has put on a lot weight this pregnancy. He is like a little kid eating everything I eat. But these past few weeks he has been working out like crazy and really watching what he eats!! He has lost so much weight and ujst looks like he is in better shape. I got all hormonal and mad at him for looking so much better then me and he told me he had to get a head start bc when the baby is born I will automatically lose about 20 pounds and then he will be behind LOL. We are both health freaks so I am sure once the baby is here the competition is on!! LOL We already started to look at those things you hook to the backof the bike so we can take our daughter on bike rides with us. :)

tabby62010 replied to MizLeah's response:
When I was eating healthy and exercising, it rubbed off on DH some. (he still wasn't doing all he could to be healthy)

Once my morning sickness came on and I quit eating healthy and exercising, my DH quit also.

I have been craving unhealthy foods and my DH thinks my eating is a license to eat unhealthy as well.

I am very determined and after the baby is born, I will get back to my normal healthy weight and habits. I wish I could say the same for my husband.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have an 11 yr old son and i just gave birth 2/26/10 to my baby girl. (both were a little over 10lbs at birth) it was an amazing experience and i pos...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.