Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Yikes! Car/Carseat Trouble!
kstategrad07 posted:
Well my DH was installing our carseat in our car last night, and well it doesn't fit. Now we have less than 4 weeks (I am 36w1d) to find a 4-door car that it will fit in on a tight budget! We have a 2-door civic, so the backseat is pretty small but we thought the seat would fit in the middle...not so much! So just a warning to you all, make sure your carseat fits before you get to 36w!

tabby62010 responded:
Wow, isn't it funny how we don't even think about the carseat fitting in our cars? We just assume that they're standard.

Glad you found out now, and not on the way to the hospital! :)

ntherelng replied to tabby62010's response:
Are you using a carrier type? Have you tried buckling it in with just a seatbelt and not using the base? That would take up less space and if belted correctly should be just as safe. The base is more of a convenience item for us parents.

Ironically, we were just talking about this at lunch today at work!

Renee
DS#2 EDD 7/2

Lysana responded:
I have heard that suggested. We have a minivan, so we don't tend to have much trouble with it. I think some places like BRU will let you take the floor model out and try it in your car to make sure it will fit before you buy it.

I assume you were planning on buying a new car within the next year or so anyway, which is why you made THAT your solution instead of finding a new carseat (which, ultimately, would be less expensive, although would probably require a more expensive car seat, if that makes sense). I do believe there are some pretty safe models out there that would fit in a 2-door car.

Anyway, I hope you can find something - either a new car seat or a new car! - that works for you without too much stress. Unexpected things like this are frustrating, aren't they? I guess it's all part of becoming/being parents, but knowing that doesn't always make it easier when it actually happens (I know - despite having 2 toddlers and a baby on the way, I STILL don't deal well with the unexpected, even though it happens all the time!)

Good luck!

--
Kelly (31) ~*~ Eliana (3) ~*~ Joshua (1.5) ~*~ Rebekah (31w5d EDD 7/16)

kstategrad07 replied to Lysana's response:
DH was installing it last night, so we could take it to get inspected tomorrow, but I guess we don't need to get it inspected if it won't fit!

The problem is we have a very small 2-door Honda Civic, and since DH is so tall (6'7") he has to have the seat back really far for him to fit. We thought the car seat was going to fit in the middle, but that doesn't work. We did get it in but my seat was so forward that I was basically eating the dashboard, and it wouldn't be safe for me to ride that close with an airbag. We had talked about getting a newer car a while ago, but now it looks like we have to! I just wish we knew sooner than 4 weeks before I am due!

We didn't try to put the seat in without the base, but it would be really hard to get it in and out of the car without the base since the car is so small.

Thankfully we have been saving for any unexpected costs for the baby, so now we just have to find a $4500 car in good condition and then we can sell the other one. No loans for us! But we are definitely taking the car seat to make sure it fits in any car we look at!

Debaroonie replied to kstategrad07's response:
Yes I agree it would be a pain to buckle the seat in and out without the base. 2 door cars arent much fun with children anyway. We have a mini van but I am still trying to decide the easiest way to buckle the seats in as we have a 4 year old in a seat yet & 3 others to climb in the back. So it is either reach into the back to buckle the 4 year old or have the older kids(17,15,11)climb over. We dont all go together much anyway.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 28 years old and married to the best man in the world! I have 2 other children (Caron-10) (Quincy-6) (Keyondre) and one step son that love to dea...More

Helpful Tips

Infantino SlingRider Recalled
I just wanted everyone know that the Infantino slingrider was recalled this morning due to infant deaths. You can read the whole article at ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.