Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Dogs?
orin34 posted:
My Cousin's wife was asking what we were planning on doing with our dog while I am in the hospital...... I told her that since the hospital is so close (15 minutes away) that my DH and I had planned to have my DH let the dog out (if the baby was born already) and if the baby was not born yet and I was still laboring, but it is the dog's time to go out that my mom (who will also be at the hospital) will go to our house to take care of the dog. . . . I honestly don't know if this is a good plan or not, it was all I could come up with....My cousins wife left their dog with the in laws, but (and I know this is terrible) I don't trust my in laws....lol. The ONE time I let them watch the dog they let him off leash in a coyote infested area (and my dog is a YORKIE!!! a very tasty treat for any coyote). *and I don't trust any of my neighbors enough to give them our house key..... we don't really know any of them that well
SO.... just out of curiosity....What are you all doing with your animals while you are at the hospital?

roni090909 responded:
With DS we left the dogs at home. DH went home to sleep, he is too tall to sleep at the hossy. When I was in labor we did have a friend run by the house and let them out. It worked out fine for us. Our dogs have no problem holding their bladder for 12 hrs. Even though I think the most they were left was around 8. We are going to do the same thing this time around.

I would just have you Mom run home if needed, especially if your DH is going to go home at night.
Me (30) DH (37) DS (10/20/08) and New Baby Girl EDD 11/11/10

KLS0228 responded:
Well we are really luck that with DD we had some GREAT friends that also had two dogs that our two schnauzers LOVED playing with, and they offered to take the dogs for a couple weeks. But this go around our friend moved to San Antonio (and we are in Dallas!). It will be a tad easier this go around because I will have a scheduled C-section because of my prior C-section, so my MIL will be here to help with DD and the dogs!! And if worse comes to worse we have great neighbors across the alley that have already told us they would help wiht DD and the dogs if I happen to go sooner than my scheduled C-section!!! But like you we are not very far from the hospital, so DH can also go and check on the animals!!!

orin34 responded:
As this is my first I honestly didn't know if this was a "good idea" or not..... it sounded fine to me, but after thinking about it I didn't know if people would consider that "inhumane" (she didn't have an attitude about it.... but just the fact that she asked kind of made me second guess myself), but it is no different than when I left for work for 8 hours a day when I was working...
Thanks ladies.... I feel MUCH better about it

UGAmomof2 replied to orin34's response:
Hey Orin34. We just got a Yorkie puppy last week (well he's 6 mos.) We are only 25 min. from the hossy, so DH plans to just leave him at home and we will check on him daily along w//my parents. I'm trying to talk my Mom into taking him w/the kids, so we'll see.

I think you'll be fine to just leave him at home.
Nicki(35) DH(35) DS(10) DD(2) THANK YOU LORD DD2-EDD 08/18/10 (PINK TEAM) CLOMID BABY (C9)- MADISON GRACE. blog:onelittletwolittlethree.blogspot.com

Taylove11 responded:
We have two boxers and my sister was nice enough to offer to go over to our house and let them out periodically. We live pretty close to our hossy too and if they aren't able to go over there for some reason, we are going to do the same as you. Have DH go if the LO is already here and if I am in labor my dad will go.

I don't think that there is anything inhumane about it. It will sheltered and have food and water which is a lot more than some animals/pets have. I hope that everything goes well for you!
Taryn(22), DH(29) Expecting our first after trying for 13 months! EDD 8/08. Pink team. HR on 6/9 was 159BPM

An_216651 responded:
We plan on boarding them for 4 days, since we know what day we are being induced it makes it easier to have a plan. You could just ask your in-laws to drop them off at the boarding kennal.

Perron30 responded:
We only have cats so plan to put there feeders out. But your plan sound fine to me. The only other option is to board them but then someone would still have to leave the hospitial to bring them to the place and usually you need to have a reservation already made. Seeing as you will have no clue when you will go into labor I do not see that being to feasible.

orin34 replied to Perron30's response:
I think I am much more confident now that I hear others are doing the same plan we have. Boarding really isn't an option though, it is way to expensive. I'm sure he will be fine :)

MandaBear815 responded:
I have 2 dogs. One is going back to the rescue that I got him from for while I am in the hospital, only because he is epileptic (sp?) and I don't like him being left alone for long periods of time and we wouldn't really know if he went into a seizure or not. And my little one is probably going to stay with my parents. I would leave her at home but I fear that my cat may eat her lol.
If you are worried about your dog getting outside enough put down some potty pads just incase s/he has an emergency and needs to go. My little dog is handicapped so that is what she uses everyday and they are a life saver.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Terri and DH Rob were married on august 4th 2001 and we have 2 boys together and expecting a girl this time:) I also have four older children(adults n...More

Helpful Tips

Diapers.com
First off, I super miss this board, I "graduated" 2 months ago! I miss the excitment, so I still come back and read the posts sometimes. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.