Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Question - Maternity leave
Taylove11 posted:
Sorry if this question gets asked a lot...

Just out of curiousity, how many of you are planning on taking maternity leave before the LO is here? If so, when? How many are planning on working as long as possible? What influenced your decision?

I'm trying to decide what to do, but I can't make up my mind. Any opinions would be appreciated!
Taryn(22), DH(29)  Expecting our first after trying for 13 months!  EDD 8/08.  Pink team.  HR on 6/9 was 159BPM
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Milu09 responded:
I am working all the way to 39 1/2 wks. As long as I feel fine, I rather save my leave time and also keep myself busy so I am not think too much of when the baby will arrive.

cad822 responded:
Today is actually my last day of work and I am 39 weeks 1 day. I would work all the way up until labor, but I am getting induced on Friday, so since I know when DD is coming I decided to take a day of rest tomorrow :) I worked all the way till the end with DS, like PP said, I'd rather spend the time at home with LO and I think I would drive myself nuts waiting at home to go into labor. HTH and good luck!

tamliz08 replied to cad822's response:
I prefer to work up until the baby is born. I would just much rather have my time off WITH the baby. Plus, it's so hard to guess when labor is going to happen. I would hate to take off at my due date and have the baby be two weeks late.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
DD - 11/19/08 - DS - EDD 9/1/10

Jennax907 responded:
I will be working up until I deliver. I plan on quitting my job after DD is born. I am miserable at my current job and just don't want the stress of dealing with my supervisor. We don't get any maternity leave or short term dissability, so it's pointless to stay.
DH(Sean) Me(Jenna) DS (Blaine-3/28/10) DD-EDD 9/20

BamBam85 replied to Jennax907's response:
Do you mean you don't get paid for taking time off after baby or that they don't allow you to have maternity leave? B/C if they won't allow it or will only allow 6 weeks they are violating federal law and according to FMLA you are allowed 12 weeks paid or unpaid (that is up to the employer).

Anyways... I will be working until I have the baby or until the Dr tells me I can't ( I don't see that happening but I can dream!) I will be quitting my job also b/c this is my 3rd and we can finally afford to me to be a SAHM!! I am so excited. I would seriously quit now but I've got less than 5 weeks left so I can stick it out and the extra money isn't bad either! ;)
Ashley(25), DH(26, DD(7), angel baby, DS(3), TTC since May '09 BFP 11/13/09 EDD 7/21/2010 Green TEAM 3 furbabies (1 Dog, 2 Cats) Bella, Ramsey

tamliz08 replied to BamBam85's response:
Not every employer falls under FMLA. If it is a small company with few employees, they do not legally have to offer any time off at all. Sad.

tamliz08 replied to tamliz08's response:
Oh, or if someone hasn't worked for the company an entire year they are not covered under FMLA.

casperkawa responded:
I took off three weeks before, I needed a little time to enjoy pregnancy and relax before the craziness of a new baby.lol It has been pretty nice just had my last day last week and I will be induced at 39 weeks. But I do have a home daycare and four other children of my own so a little down time is needed here. Good luck.
Me(36)DH(39) DS(16)DS(15)DS(12)DD(9) Due July 9,But will be induced by July 2. Pregnant after tubal, our miracle baby..

bitesizehoney responded:
I, too, am going to work as long as possible. I want to spend the whole 6 wks resting with my baby :)
Jackie (27) SO (28) First due 09/05. Pink Team!

astzt1027 responded:
I worked up until noon the day I went into the hospital for the gel in preparation for induction the following day. I was feeling fine and didn't have a lot of pain or other issues, so it wasn't a big deal to come in. My boss is very flexible, so I was able to leave early those days when I wanted to put my feet up.

Perron30 responded:
If for some reason I cannot work before the baby is born (to uncomfortable, to big for behind the wheel, etc) then I will use my sick time. At my work sick time is also short term disability and they want us to use that. Maternity leave starts only when the baby is born according to my work.

happymoe responded:
I was done at the end of May, mat leave starts June 21st once holidays are used up. I'm in Canada, so I'm really lucky to be able to go on unquestioned unemployment for 1 year. I get to make up my mind mid-May last year if I want to go back mid June next year. I'm due July 17th, I could have worked longer but I had to give 30 days notice before commencing leave and I didn't know how I'd feel. I'm happy to be able to still work in my garden and do yardwork at a slow leisurely pace and enjoy it.

jle09 responded:
Today is my last day of actual work; I already had planned time off for tomorrow. I go to the doctor tomorrow, and he will be providing me with a note to start my leave on Monday. I'll be 39 weeks, and I'm getting induced on Wednesday.

I planned on working at long as physically possible, to save money. My company's Short Term Disability plan (Maternity leave is covered under this) will pay for up to 26 weeks as long as I'm under doctor's care/orders.
-- (22), DH (23), DS (4), and 2 is due 6/29. Induction scheduled for 6/23.

Taylove11 responded:
Thank you ladies for sharing your stories. I think that I am going to try work as long as possible. I want as much time at home with the LO as I can get. Since this is my first, and I really have no idea as to what to expect, I didn't know if I should take leave early or not. I suppose I'll just have to judge it as I go and if working gets too uncomfortable, I can take leave.

Thanks again!
Taryn(22), DH(29) Expecting our first after trying for 13 months! EDD 8/08. Pink team. HR on 6/9 was 159BPM

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I are expecting our second son May 14, 2010. Our first son, Jonathan, is two years old and a lot of fun. We're really looking forwa...More

Helpful Tips

Diapers.com
First off, I super miss this board, I "graduated" 2 months ago! I miss the excitment, so I still come back and read the posts sometimes. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.