Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Does swelling to make you gain weight?
peachyisthelife posted:
I've started to swell some on my feet, legs, and hands. Not hugely horrible, but noticable. I also suddenly jumped up about 3lbs in weight, without changing my eating habits at all. Does swelling make you weigh more?
Oh and my blood pressure is normal, I can take it at home. Unless you can get pre-e without high blood pressure?
Cathryn~~~Jared 4yo~Brooke 22 months old~Baby 3 due July 23, 2010

mommyof3kiddos responded:
I would say yes swelling would be the cause of the sudden jump in weight gain. I'm not absolutely sure but it would seem that if you're swelling you're retaining water.

I don't know about the bp and pre-e but since you had it with your first I wouldn't just brush off the swelling. It's that one of the signs?
Mommy of three crazy kids ages 4, 3, and 1. Twin girls due August!

DaleCDean29 responded:
Yeah it does cause your retaining water..trust me I know I have gained nearly 50lbs this pregnancy and most of it is water. Doc just tells me to excersize drink lots of water and sleep with my feet elevated..Sadly my hands are swollen too and my pinky and ring fingers on both hand are numb most of the time and I don't know how to reduce the swelling there
Me Dale 30 BF Chris 29 Due 8/2/10 Bright hot Pink team

mtlmayhem responded:
Hey Cathryn,

I dont think u can get pre-e without the elevated pressure, but I do remember that I was horribly swollen in my feet with Donny (think captain caveman)- it was ridiculous - going from 7 women to size 10 mens in the summer) - but the difference is that it was limited to my ankles and below. (and yes you do gain weight as long as you are retaining water when you swell), so your weight will fluctuate so long as you havent gotten rid of the built up water... but my blood pressure was never high. (It was just that i was wearing flip flops that offered my feet no kind of support.... and eating everything salty, and every healthy fruit or veggie with salt.) Remember, our blood volume increased and so has other fluids in our body too!

I would definately mention this at your next appointment cause with the legs and hands it could be the beginning of pre-e- better safe than sorry.

Questions for you:

1- If you (get a chance) to elevate the swollen parts, even for 1/2 hour 45 minutes (ha!) does the swelling subside?

2- Do you have a history of protein in your urine late in the game?? (Im just thinking just because u never had it with Jared or Brooke, doesnt mean u cant develop it with #3...)

peachyisthelife responded:
Thanks guys. I was a tad worried about the sudden weight gain and the swelling, I've had some headaches lately, too. But every time I check my blood pressure it's fine. With my first pregnancy I got high blood pressure in the last month but never developed pre-e. My 2nd pregnancy I was totally fine. This one has been totally fine so far. At least whatever may happen, I'm 37w so baby will be good to go if need be.

I had headaches earlier in the pregnancy but once I upped my fluids they went away. The last several days I've been getting some headaches again but drinking a lot doesn't help them. I wonder what else could cause them (without assuming pre-e). I'm not a soda drinker at all, but I drank some last night when we grilled out-maybe my body wasn't used to the soda and swelled?? lol
Cathryn~~~Jared 4yo~Brooke 22 months old~Baby 3 due July 23, 2010

kfitz responded:
I swelled so bad with my first pregnancy I had my skin from my shin touching my skin on the top of my foot. My dr estimated 7lbs of water weights at my last appointment before I delivered. I was diagnosed with idiopathic edema (swelling that they don't know what it is from besides pregnancy.) They told me to drink lots of water and try to lay on my left side for 30 minutes 3 times per day to help my kidneys process the fluid. Also, they asked me to try to cut out salt from my diet.
Me(31) DH(31) DD(10 mos) induction scheduled 8/30/10

beachkiwi replied to DaleCDean29's response:
Dale

I got a carpel tunnel wrist brace from the pharmacy for my swelling/numb fingers and it has really helped. I only wear it at night but before I got it the numbness in my hand would wake me up early in the morning every half hour or so. I am only wearing the brace on one hand, it seems to be worse in my left hand. The numbness is caused by the swelling of your blood vessels. In the carpel tunnel they swell and press on the nerves to your fingers causeing swelling and numbness. Your blood vessels swell becuase when pregnant we have approximatley 40% more blood volume in our bodies than normal.

Alison

Spotlight: Member Stories

i'm 18 years old and pregnant with my first child...i wouldn't say i was the perfect mam, i have made mistakes throughout my pregnancy but im ...More

Helpful Tips

36 weeks
Hi, since the secon trimester I have had a lot of pain in the pelvic region and between my legs. Today I lost my mucous plug and have been ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful