Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
ot: saving money
mommyof3kiddos posted:
Laying in bed last night I was trying to come up with a few small ways to save money. Nothing huge like trading in our gas guzzler (I wish!!!) for something more fuel efficient. Just simple tips. Then I thought maybe this might be a good post because everyone could throw in their ideas and maybe we could help each other out. KWIM? So here is my list so far. I think a lot of us already do these things. But I might just make a nice list and post it on my fridge as a reminder to myself.

- Keep thermostat turned up/down. Run ceiling fans. *Just read using ceiling fans can help lower your electric bill because it helps to circulate air in the house. *

-Keep as many lights/electric items turned off as possible during the day. Make sure to turn off all outside lights in morning.

- Only run dishwasher and washer/dryer with full loads.

- Use crock pot and microwave more and gas stove less.

- Keep hot water heater turned down.

- Use cloth diapers/wipes.

- Shop sales with coupons. Only buy meat on sale. Stop buying a lot of packaged foods. Ex: pop-tarts, frozen waffles, etc....

- Shop online WITH free shipping when possible to save trip/gas.

- Combine trips to save gas.

Does anyone else have any ideas to add????
Mommy of three crazy kids ages 4, 3, and 1. Twin girls due August!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

mcelroy07 responded:
-keep blinds closed during the day to keep out heat

-buy CFL bulbs to replace old lightbulbs (1CFL lasts as long as 13 regular bulbs)

-take shorter showers

-turn off electronics when not in use

-drink tap water or from a filter pitcher instead of water bottles (FYI plastic water bottles take 700 years to decompose in a landfill)

Thats all I can think of right now. I teach energy savings to my fifth grade students.

mommy_a responded:
- UNPLUG cell phone chargers when not in use. (If you keep them plugged in and just detach the cell phone, it still takes up electricity.. sheesh can you imagine?)

- During winter, buy those thermal curtains for in between rooms such as kitchen and living room. This contains the heat in one room

- Every six months, go through your bills and see what may be superfluous. That gym membership.. :) Do you really need all those cable channels?

- Schedule your grocery trips for once every two weeks instead of going whenever you run out.

- Stick to the grocery list! No impulse buys!

- Coupons coupons coupons

- Comparison shopping.. don't just go to Best Buy and pick it up. Look online and see the best deal

- If you can wait to purchase, wait till there's a deal online or a sale somewhere

Great post! I hope to read some good tips here

bcfrost816 replied to mommy_a's response:
Last year DH and I changed our outside garage and porch lights to the dusk to dawn lights. That way, they only go on at night and go off during the day. I can't count how many times we would forget to turn off the outside lights during the day....such a waste!! And it didn't cost much to change, at Lowes they have these small things to screw into your existing light fixtures to make them dusk to dawn.
Courtney (28) DH (30) DD Peyton 17 months; baby girl 2 EDD 9/26/10

roni090909 replied to bcfrost816's response:
  • Make a menu and take that grocery list with you to the store.
  • Shop around for car and home insurance
  • Look into refinancing your house. Rates are super low right now.
Good post. Its always nice to get some more good ideas.
Me (30) DH (37) DS (10/20/08) and New Baby Girl EDD 11/11/10

Beth208 responded:
-Buy generic

-Compile all the junk, I mean stuff, you don't use anymore and is just lying around b/c it always has and have a yard sale, post on craiglist,etc.

-Use coupon sites, like southernsavers.com, to find more coupons

-Use interchangeable coupons, if you've never heard of them let me know and I can try to explain

mommyof3kiddos replied to bcfrost816's response:
That's an excellent idea! I have been wanting to go and buy those attachments forever but just keep forgetting!

Taylove11 responded:
-Turn off and unplug all appliances when not in use. Like a pp mentioned with the cell phone charger, when something is not in use but still plugged in, electricity is still going into the appliance. The bigger culprits are TVs, microwaves, computers, toasters, coffee makers etc. Unplug these items if you can and it will slowly add up on your energy bill.

- Use the cold water setting on your washer when possible. Most colored clothes are okay to wash in cold water.

- If you are planning on doing any home improvements, check to see if there are any energy rebates you might qualify for. Check with your energy company and also with your local and state governments.

- If you have AC and it is cool outside, just turn on the fan setting. It will circulate the cool air from outside as opposed to using the AC.

- If you have coupons for different stores, go to one and see if they will honor it. That way you don't have to use up gas running to different stores to get the best sales.
Taryn(22), DH(29) Expecting our first after trying for 13 months! EDD 8/08. Pink team. HR on 7/16 was 138BPM

eliguns841984 responded:
lurking from 2nd tri...

MAKE BABY FOOD! I made all of DS's baby food and it was astronomically cheaper than buying jars, and really easy to do. I could make the equivalent of 10 jars of baby bananas by buying a couple of fresh ones from the store, and I knew that my baby's food was fresh and healthy! When he started on meats, I even splurged for a food processor (the blender wouldn't cut it for meat) and the thing will pay for itself after we make the baby food for this second baby!

A great resource:

www.wholesomebabyfood.com

mommyof3kiddos replied to eliguns841984's response:
I am thinking of doing the homemade baby food since I'm having twins. I can't imagine how expensive it will be for all those little jars times TWO! I already have small and large food processor so I don't have to buy anything extra. Maybe just some nice little containers. That's something I can wait to buy when I get some cash at the holidays.

roni090909 replied to eliguns841984's response:
I made DS's baby food and I agree. Its so easy to do. DS actually ended up being allergic to the store bought stuff. I will definitely be making this baby's food to.
Me (30) DH (37) DS (10/20/08) and New Baby Girl EDD 11/11/10

mommy_a replied to mommyof3kiddos's response:
mommyof3kiddos,

I dont have kids yet but I read up on making baby food at home, and there was a tip that you can make the food, and freeze them in the ice cube trays.
Then just take one or two out and thaw when you need

There's a book called "baby bargains" which has been such a *fantastic* resource for me as an ftm on saving with baby gear/ baby stuff.

eliguns841984 replied to mommyof3kiddos's response:
yes, as the other posters are saying you really don't need to even buy the containers. I had a few of the plastic Gerber ones that I used if we were going to be away from home, and a few of these thermal ones made by the brand "Sassy" in case we were leaving home, but I only used them to transport the food, not to store it in the freezer. You will find that it is much more space effective to freeze it in ice cubes and then transfer to ziploc bags once it is all frozen into cubes. a good thing to know: 1 cube = 1 ounce. A jar of baby food is about 2.5 oz so you can use as many cubes as you think baby will eat and keep track of how many ounces it is. With DS, I started to look at the fruit medleys and stuff to see the ingredients, and just making the same stuff at home! I made hawaiian delight that tasted exactly the same as Gerber's.

collinjames replied to eliguns841984's response:
Really think twice about the items you are buying.. do you really need that.. and as far as the new mommies go. Thrift sales.. I never bought anything new for DD all from thrift sales and you can find things for cheap and plus dont ever pay full price for something at a thrift sale people want to get rid of it so bargin with them, nothing is ever set in stone..

kfitz responded:
Do you have 2 hours to sit down and make some phone calls? Get out all your bills and call to see if you can get your bills lowered. I called on my cell phone, house phone, internet, satellite and lawn service and saved over $150 per month! Most of them were 6 month specials that expired after 6 months, but then I just called again. Shop around first and let the carrier know how much the competition is offering and you may need to ask for a supervisor to get the best price. I saved $900 over 6 months for 2 hours of phone calls. Trust me, it will be worth it. I did have to threaten my home phone carrier with changing to Vonage before they would actually give me a discount and you also may want to look into bundling you home phone, cable and internet.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My pic is of Eli at 30 wks and 1 dy Too Sweet! My story is weird long and complicated I am a happy single mom and finallay after 32 years know where I...More

Helpful Tips

Flushable moist wipes
Just thought I'd share a tip that I learned this time around. After the birth of DD1, I was given the squirt bottle to clean down there ... More
Was this Helpful?
125 of 223 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.