Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
QOTD 7/29
FloralMom posted:
Question of the day:

What would you say is the "ideal" age range for having children?
Amy (29) DH (30) - m/c in 12/05 ^Friday^, DS1 11/06, DS2 - ^Jeremiah^
FirstPrevious12NextLast

roni090909 responded:
For me it was the late 20's. There is no way I was ready when I was younger than 26. Of course if it would have happened I would have stepped but ideally I just wasn't ready.
Me (30) DH (37) DS (10/20/08) and New Baby Girl EDD 11/11/10

mommyof3kiddos responded:
I think it's different for everyone. I know there are a lot of younger moms on here. I say great and good for you but I know I wasn't ready at that age. I was way too immature. I had my first at 26 and I think that was good for me. I am 32 now and I plan on making these two babies my last. I think five in five years is good. I will be 50 when they graduate from highschool and that's good for me.
Mommy of three crazy kids ages 4, 3, and 1. Twin girls due August!

NatashaT1 responded:
That's so debatable. I got married early (20), but I think that was way too young to have children, though I was married, working full time, full time student and all around responsible etc. I'm 27 now, will be 28 in September, and I feel like I'm at the perfect age. I've had 7 years of honeymooning with my husband, I've finished my undergraduate degree and am 1/2 finished with my masters. I have more time and experience under my belt, so I feel like roni090909....late 20's is perfect.

kate_self_in_love replied to NatashaT1's response:
well i got preggo with my first son at 18, had him at 19 and now am preggo with my second son at 20, though we did not by any means plan either one of our precious little ones, we were certain that once we were preggo (both times) that we couldn't give them up in any sense so i think it really depends on your situation. My SO and i arent married (yet) and as of right now arent even living together bc he's out of town working but once this LO gets here we will be living with Daddy again! (i miss him terribly) Both my SO and I are mature for our ages, (he's 21) because we both had to grow up super fast due to things in our past. (I lost my best friend and Grandmother when i as 14 ad then only a few months after she passed I was raped twice and had a m/c) so it really depends on you bc we were ready emotionally but not financially so it depends!
~~ Self Mommy ~~ Christopher Jr born July 20th 2009 6 lbs 7 oz 1:22 am BLUE TEAM AGAIN!!! JAYDEN DUE September 30 2010!!!!!

KLS0228 responded:
I say my mid-late 20's. I had DD at 26 and now I am 28. I definately wasn't ready before then! LOL!! I am glad I waited. But I had friend in High School that got pregnant at 17 and Jordan saved her life! She was heading down the WRONG path and he straightened her up! She was and is an AMAZING Mom! Even at 17 she was AMAZING!

twiegardt responded:
I think it depends on the person too. I was 23 when my first daughter was born, I loved every minute of it. I am 35 now, I am due the day before I turn 36. I am more financialy stable but I dont think that will make any difference as to how good of a mom I will be. I do kinda wish the girls were closer in age, but I think it will be just fine
Tina(35) EDD:8/18/10(Pink Team)

Isylya responded:
I also agree that late 20's is ideal. I had my DD when I was 17... I was NOT ready, although I forced myself to grow up and be responsible.
Now I'm 28, will be 29 in a few months...I feel very ready for this one and I'm able to provide him with things that were out of the question before. I have my career going and my DH has his.. got all of the big things out of the way... house, cars, paid off student loans...etc..

I feel terrible about the things I got by on with my DD and that our son will have such a different experience.

sarah0323 responded:
I had my first DD a few months after I turned 21. I won't lie it was hard. I was in school and working full time and her sperm donor as I call him didn't help at all. I lover her to death but it was like I grew up with her. I didn't have my next one until I was almost 26. For me even though I was a few years older it was an amazing difference. I will say that I am a little sad about the age difference between our oldest and our youngest (since they are both girls). I hope that at some point they do have a sisterly relationship. So to answer the question I would say you mid to late 20's.

lizhf2003 replied to sarah0323's response:
For me mid 20s worked out perfectly. I always knew I wanted to be a young mom because my parents had us young and now I'm such great friends with my parents. My parents were done having kids by 25. I started at 25, but want to be done by 30. That way when they graduate, I won't be too old to hang out with. I prefer to hang out with my parents over my friends a lot of the time and I want my kids to feel that way about me too. DH and I have been together since we were 15 so we had plenty of time together before kids. We both finished college first, got our careers and bought a house so we were ready by 25. That's different for everyone though.

ReneeErin replied to sarah0323's response:
Biologically the ideal range is 20-27. This age range involves the least risk to mother and baby and the best chance for getting pregnant. Unfortunately, I was married to an abusive alcoholic in my early 20s and met my DH when I was 24. We were married when I was 25 and it took until I was 27 to get pregnant. I'll be 28 with this one, our first and I feel WAY too old to be having our first!! I really wish I could have 3-4 kids before turning 30, but obviously that won't happen!! lol
1st baby finally on the way after 11 failed cycles! Due September 12th. It's a GIRL!!!!

KSHoh responded:
That is kind of hard to say, but i think the later 20's for most people is a little more reasonable. I am 32 and this is my first. I honestly could not imagine being a mother in my early 20's. I was barely able to support myself back then. Also, I am the product of adoption( the egg donor basically had too many kids way too young she could not take care of and we all were taken away from her and seperated) and I never wanted that for my kids. So for me at my age I felt it was a good time, Im married now, have been on my job for 10yrs etc.. It's different for different people.
Me(32) EDD: 9/27 Team Blue

peachyisthelife responded:
I think something that's great about being a woman is, whether you have a baby at 18 or 38, once that baby comes out we are instantly blessed with that motherly instinct. A woman can be a wonderful mother at any age. Now will a 38yo likely be more financially stable? Probably. But money isn't the only thing that's needed to be a mom, you can be a mom with very little money. Maturity definitely helps, and I'm sure we've all seen an immature mother at any age (yes more likely a teen). I was a fairly young mom, had my first child a few weeks before I turned 22. But I was/am married and had a stable home life and more than enough love to give. We made sure DH's job was good and stable before having children, too, so I could stay home with the kids. DH is 8 years older than me so he had time to get that stability. Anyway, I can't say that there's a "right" time to have a baby, there's pros and cons to any age. As long as baby is happy, safe, and well loved!
Cathryn~~~Jared 4yo~Brooke 23 months old~Baby 3 due July 23, 2010

KSHoh replied to peachyisthelife's response:
I totally agree that you dont have to have a lot of money to be a good parent. My adoptive mom did not have a lot of money but she made sure at least the basic needs where met(food,clothing(some times came from thrift shops),shelter,education). And I think also maturity and selflessness at times also plays a major role. I know most people could never imagine a mother would willfully neglect thier children( not all women have that motherly instinct- trust me- If I could tell you my whole story before adopton you would be shocked).
Me(32) EDD: 9/27 Team Blue

tamliz08 replied to peachyisthelife's response:
I agree Cathryn!! My mom had her first child at 16, and her last at 40. She has five kids total. She's certainly proven it's do-able at any age! With her, I noticed that she seemed to be at her best with my younger brother, who she had at age 34.

For me personally, I think I had my kids at the perfect time in my life. I was 24 when I had DD, and I'm 26 now. I'm not too young that I have any regrets, yet I am young enough to have plenty of energy!
DD - 11/19/08 - DS - EDD 9/1/10

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I'm a first time mom, due in october and we have chosen to keep the gender a surprise. I will be barely(only a few days) 34 when I deliver if ...More

Helpful Tips

Diapers.com
First off, I super miss this board, I "graduated" 2 months ago! I miss the excitment, so I still come back and read the posts sometimes. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.