Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Birth Control???? Need advice.
Jendel89 posted:
So i tried talking to my dr about getting a tubal and ive talked to 3 dr's in her office all 3 have been leaning towards the No answer.

they said woman under 30 end up regretting it later on yada yada, But shouldent it be my choice i will sign whatever i need to sign i wont sue or anything i mean i just want no more!>

I have one beautiful little boy and a little girl on the way come November.

she recommended Paragard but ive read all reviewes on birth controls i do not want anything with side effects that all of the birth controls contain, i just want something i can count on and dont have to replace every so many years whatever. I want no more !..

Anyone have a good recommendation birth control wise or any advice here?

ive read fully into it and have no doubts about it, i know what i want and am not going to change my mind.

Jennax907 responded:
If a tubal is not an option I would go with the copper IUD. At least that can stay put for 10 years and does not contain hormones.
DH(Sean) Me(Jenna) DS (Blaine-3/28/09) DD-EDD 9/11

Jendel89 replied to Jennax907's response:
I keep reading some pretty not so pleasent side effects like hair loss and copper toxicity.

kfitz responded:
I have never used Mirena, but I have read of some terrible side effects. I use to be on the Depo-provera that worked well for me for 7 years, but it did cause some weight gain.

soontobewith4 replied to kfitz's response:
I have had the copper IUD and I could never in good concience recommend it. HORRIBLE side effects for me. I bled and I do NOT mean spotting, full out gushing everytime I stood up bleeding for 3.5 months straight, everyday, NOT for a week EVERY SINGLE DAY. I was anemic by then, developed heart palpitations. Told my one doc and he gave me birth control pills to stop the bleeding. NOPE, went to the health department to try and get it out. They wouldn't take it out. Said the bleeding will stip eventually. Went BACK to my ob/gyn and was pratically crying for them to take it out. The other ob said what this thing? he had already pulled it out He knew how miserable and unhealthy I was. That night I seriously mean it that night within hours my bleeding stopped. I will never get that again.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
I was told the same thing! Under 30 and 1 live birth but I was in my second pregnancy. I did end up having 1 more son after the second pregnancy though. I still feel it should be our choice.

Jendel89 replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
thanks for the input ladies, And yes i do agree it should be our choice.

risdiane responded:
I had the IUD with copper and no hormones. Loved it, had it for 6 years and it worked great for me. I would highly recommend it based on my experience. The no hormones was a big thing for me and not having to worry about it for years made a big difference too.

sarah0323 responded:
Lurking....
I've gone through the same thing. After we had number 4 I wanted my tubes tied and my doctor told me no that I didn't meet criteria. I didn't push it at the time but went with the Mirena IUD and I ended up expelling it and getting pg while on the pill again. I didn't find out that the reason they wouldn't do it was because I was going to the catholic hospital and the doctor's office was in the same building. This time I have changed doctor's and hospital's because we are done.

SunConure responded:
I have heard nothing, but good things about the Paraguard (copper IUD), so I think that's what I'm doing. From what I have read having the copper IUD is like not taking a BC at all, so however your periods are without BC that's how they will be with it since it doesn't use hormones just prevents pregnancy. I don't want any BC with hormones in it, so I think that's my only option, but from what I have heard I feel comfortable getting it.
Terra(24)Jeff(25) Our First Rylee Lynn is due 09/13 :)

Jendel89 replied to SunConure's response:
Yea i have just heard too many mixed reviews on the IUD's and the copper, side effects etc..

Id rather not chance anything, my husband also would prefer me not putting the copper in my body like that as well.

eden51671 replied to Jendel89's response:
there is also the Essure. I dont know how old you are, but just generally under 30 is a little high from what we use. think we use 25 something like that. Also depending on the number of kids and the mothers condition.

Shani_girl replied to eden51671's response:
Why not have your DH get a vasectomy? That is more reliable than a tubal anyway.

mar09 responded:
Thats surprising, I'm getting a tubal when #2 comes out the end of this month and my docs didn't even flinch when I told them I wanted one. I haven't had the easiest of pregnancies and maybe that's why, but I told them if I decide to have another one I'll gladly adopt. Pregnancy doesn't agree with my body and there are plenty of babies out there that need loving parents!

KenziesMom12 replied to mar09's response:
Awww, that is too sweet. And so true, there are plenty babies out there need love.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me (38), DH (40), DS (13 months) EDD 6/22/12 PINK TEAM YAY!!! :-)

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.