Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Childbirth Class
sept24th posted:
I will be 33 weeks tomorrow and on Saturday my husband and I are going to our Childbirth class. I am so excited and can't wait to see what it is all about.
Any comments from you ladies would be great on whether a class like that was helpful at all.
Thanks.

roni090909 responded:
I went with DS. I think it was really good for my DH. He had no idea what all went into having a baby. For me I had already read most of it online or in a book. The BFing portion was very helpful though. In the end it made me and DH more comfortable with everything, so it was worth it to me.
Me (30) DH (37) DS (10/20/08) and New Baby Girl EDD 11/11/10

ReneeErin responded:
It depends on the class. We were signed up for one, but my brother and SIL went to it a month before us and told us it was worthless except for a couple of things, which they passed on. I read so much that I know all the information anyway, and we hadn't had a weekend day together to rest for 2 months at that point, so we didn't go...
1st baby finally on the way after 11 failed cycles! Due September 12th. It's a GIRL!!!!

kfitz responded:
I went to all the classes with DH for DD#1 and I think it was worth it. We learned about breastfeeding, CPR and the Heimlich manuver, breathing techniques and the whole birthing process. The best thing was a chart they showed on how it takes 27 hours a day to care for yourself and a newborn. This just shows that moms can't do it alone and helped DH realize he was going to have to help. He even learned how to change a diaper on a doll and how to swaddle.

lestersgirls responded:
DH and I went to a childbirth class with our first. Even though we ended up having a c-section with both DD1 and DD2, I thought the class was great! I learned alot about what to expect at the hospital and during recovery. It was worth it!
Steffanie (37),Lester (30), DD1 (8-14-03), DD2 (4-12-05), Angel Baby @6 weeks (6-17-08), Baby Boy Kellan Lester Due 10-12-10!

mtlmayhem responded:
If you get nothing else from the class, for me just the social aspect of getting out and seeing that there are many others IRL that share your worries questions or concerns was worth taking the class.

I'll be honest, in the heat of the moment during labour, it was DH who remeinded me of some of what we learned in terms of the breathing excercises... he really stepped up when I needed him to... (despite his nervous giggling) :-)

FloralMom responded:
Like ReneeErin said - it depends on the class. I took a prepared childbirth class - focused on the info for breathing and relaxation needed for a natural unmedicated birth and I loved it. It was so thourough and full of good info and even went over tools used, c-sections and so on - because you don't always get your 'ideal' birth. However, for our hossy tour, there was a short class (like an hour long) before the tour and THAT was worthless! It was all no-brainer "don't shake a baby" type stuff.

I actually wanted to take the prepared childbirth 'refresher' class this time around, but they didn't have one avalible, so I signed up for a full Saturday class... last night they called and said that the class will now be spread out over 3 weeks, every tuesday... I probably won't be going now. I'll just have to dig out my books and work on my focus and meditation techniques as practice and hope I'm prepared enough!!!
Amy (29) DH (30) - m/c in 12/05 ^Friday^, DS1 11/06, DS2 - ^Jeremiah^

KityKatK8 responded:
It really depends on the class and the teacher. I wish I had been in your class, kfitz. I felt like I knew more than our instructor at our class for DD. Everything she said I had read elsewhere. I don't feel like I got good breathing practices in, either. We tried to chat up our classmates and exchange contact info and all, but nothing ever came of that...

The best thing we learned were the hours of the hospital cafeteria and the menu options.

Hope your class is all you want, though!

sept24th replied to KityKatK8's response:
Thanks everybody for your comments. I am looking forward to the class and talking about it afterwards with my husband. I don't know exactly how much he knows or how much he has read, so this will be good, I think. And I don't know anything about the breathing exercises.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi my name is D(28) DB(30) Jordan(11)Daniel(5)Dasia(2)Dominque(DueApril 3,2011)With this pregnancy its very different from the other three pregnancy,w...More

Helpful Tips

Infantino SlingRider Recalled
I just wanted everyone know that the Infantino slingrider was recalled this morning due to infant deaths. You can read the whole article at ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.