Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Pain in Hands?
lizhf2003 posted:
So I started waking up very swollen in my hands, feet and face last week. They were concerned since I wasn't going to bed swollen and it was in my face. They tested my urine and checked BP and all was fine, so no pre-e. Well, lately its gotten worse. Now I'm swollen all the time, which I understand is normal, but my hands hurt in the middle of the night. I can't move my fingers for about an hour after I wake up in the morning. If I force my left thumb to bend it pops out of socket. My hands are so sore and it's just from sleeping. I took a nap this weekend and even just being asleep for an hour, I woke up with my hands hurting just as bad. It's so weird. Could I be developing arthritis or something? And I always wake up with my face swollen then it gets better throughout the day. Swelling should get worse as the day goes on, not better. What is happening in my sleep?? Anyone else experience this? Thanks ladies!!

ReneeErin responded:
I have swelling overnight too. I don't know why. My toes and fingers are particularly bad from sleeping. However, my calves swell more during the day. I don't know why!
1st baby finally on the way after 11 failed cycles! Due September 12th. It's a GIRL!!!!

diamond7sparkles responded:
have you been sleeping on your back? If that is the case, you may be cutting off circulation to your legs and if you're sleeping on your arm, same goes for your fingers!
Crystal (22) Caedance almost 2!, Madison EDD 10.25.10

bcfrost816 replied to diamond7sparkles's response:
My fingers swell overnight too, it hurts to move them for like the first hour or so in the morning. I notice my feet and ankles swelling more at night. So, I think the swelling in the am and pm is pretty much normal....although the face swelling would worry me a little more.

If it keeps getting worse, definitely call your OB again. Have you tried not eating salty things and drinking lots of water? I also make sure I have a fan going when I sleep (we have a ceiling fan over our bed), that seems to help keep me cool which in turn means less swelling.
Courtney (28) DH (30) DD Peyton 19 months; baby girl 2 EDD 9/26/10

PGinSJ replied to bcfrost816's response:
I have tingling and pain in my hands and fingers overnight. It's not as bad as you explain but I do have that and it doesn't matter what position I am sleeping in. I just figured it was par for the course with pregnancy. I do have some swelling too that's pretty constant in my ankles, feet and fingers.
Christy (38) and DH (37). EDD 8/26/10, Blue team. Our first!

tamliz08 responded:
Yes! Right now that is one of my biggest complaints. How far along are you?

I'm 37 weeks, and my swelling started out only happening later in the day. Now, for the past couple weeks, I'm swollen all the time.

My hands hurt so bad. It wakes me up in the middle of the night, and they just feel really tight all day.
DD - 11/19/08 - DS - EDD 9/1/10

lizhf2003 replied to tamliz08's response:
I'll be 37 weeks tomorrow! Good to know I'm not alone. I go to the doc this afternoon so we'll see what he says. I'm so miserable!

PGinSJ replied to PGinSJ's response:
PS~Mine TOTALLY feels like I gather arthritis would feel. I do think it would be helpful to do anything to reduce the swelling. For instance, lay on your left side as much as possible to try to enhance circulation and make sure you are getting ample water (half your body weight in ounces). But the book "What to expect.." says salt in moderation. Apparently studies show that cutting it all out isn't beneficial. Look under swelling or edema for full reference. HTHs. I am sure you are fine if you don't have any signs of pre-e. It just sounds like a pregnancy symptoms to me. Oh my friends' OB told her to wear wrist braces because she had pg induced carpal tunnel (btw it completely went away after delivery). That may help you too : )
Christy (38) and DH (37). EDD 8/26/10, Blue team. Our first!

Jane0819 replied to lizhf2003's response:
How are you now? I hope well and have a gorgeous new bundle - boy/girl?
I feel exactly the same as you descibe, cant move my hands in the morning, feel very unwell and miserable with it all.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Third child, so excited to add to the family. Me and DH are both Correction Officers at the same institution, DH works 2nd shift (2pm-10pm) and I wor...More

Helpful Tips

Flushable moist wipes
Just thought I'd share a tip that I learned this time around. After the birth of DD1, I was given the squirt bottle to clean down there ... More
Was this Helpful?
125 of 223 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.