Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Tips for gaining weight???
Jendel89 posted:
So my dr says she would feel alot better if i gainned something , ive been so sick from throwing up everything i havent gainned anything this pregnancy.

I have been snacking every 2hrs sometimes every 3, i eat frequently i eat breakfast, lunch, dinner.. and still nothing

i went to yet another weekly appointment, and it was minus another 3lbs, I have to see her weekly because she wants me to gain some weight so she sees me every week to monitor my weekly weight gain/loss.

Baby is growing great which is all that matters but jeeze, its taking it toll on my and my body i just feel blah most of the time from all the sickness zofran was helping but then i ran into some insurance issues which are still pending at the moment.

Isylya responded:
Ask your doctor about taking unisom and b6 vitamins.

I have been sick this entire pregnancy...my insurance won't cover any of the anti nausea meds so my doc recommended that as an alternative. It works great! I know that not all meds work for everyone, but that did the trick for me. Good luck!!

Jendel89 replied to Isylya's response:
Yea that was the first thing she recommended to me and it didnt do nothing just made me sleep more and when i would wake up it was like 3 times worse, :( i also tried ginger root i was reading that ginger helps nausea but that didnt work ither.

i have also taken reglan, and phenegran(however u spell it), i think thats all that ive got scripted to me.

Isylya replied to Jendel89's response:
Oh dear! You poor thing! I'm sorry nothing seems to be helping.
I had the phenergan for a few weeks...that didn't help the normal nausea...but I was put on vicodin or percocet for some horrendous pain I was having but I kept throwing up the pills so they gave me that. It helped to keep those down, but I was still nauseated. They ended up just injecting me with morphine!!
Which, didn't really relieve the pain too much.. but it made it so I didn't care. LOL!

Anyways...I hope you find something that works!!!

Jendel89 replied to Isylya's response:
Oh wow morphine, yea the only thing that seems to help for about 2-3 days is my infusions, Since i get dehydrated from all the throwing up i go to the infusion centers where they recharge my fluids and give me 2 bags of fluid over a 5hr period so i just lay there for 5hrs and they inject zofran through my IV and then i feel so much better afterwards but then 2-3 days later its back to square one.

ReneeErin replied to Jendel89's response:
When I was feeling really sick, I kept my weight stable by eating peanut butter and nuts. I hope you feel better soon!
1st baby finally on the way after 11 failed cycles! Due September 12th. It's a GIRL!!!!

sarah0323 responded:
Talk to your doctor about benadryl. With 2 of my pregnancies I took benadryl for the nausea and it helped.

My insurance does cover part of the zofran prescription but it is still over $100 for 30 pills that only last for maybe 2 weeks.

I haven't gained anything either but my Dr. was happy that I'm atleast not losing anything at this point.

mommy_a responded:
Protein, protein protein. It helped me so much in gaining weight. I ate in the forms of lentils, peanut butter, EGGS!!, anything I could find, as much as I could find.
Really helped me

Juniorsmama responded:
Lurking from 2nd Tri......
Have you tried drinking Ensure plus? I have had weight loss issues my entire life and prior to this pregnancy I was drinking four a day along with eating small frequent meals. I was just told at my last appt to reduce down to one Ensure a day. They are a bit expensive but not nearly as much as meds. If you go to the website they have coupons and a 28 day challange you can enroll in to get coupons by mail or e-mail. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Jendel89 replied to Juniorsmama's response:
Ooo that sounds good too Ensure, thanks !

JKirk19 replied to Isylya's response:
I was REALLY REALLY REALLY sick, and almost had to get hospitalized. But like Isylya said b6 vitamins and unisom has worked wonders on me. But every womens body is different. Also, there are TONS of pregnancy sickness medicines out there that your doctor can recommend(both OTC and RX) so keep trying! I'm sorry you are so sick!!!
---{Me}Jillian(20).....{Husband}Jake(26)..Expecting our first BABY GIRL on 10/31/2010 to be named Brett Elyse!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 24yo stay at home mom of DD-Kelsey Paige born 7/4/10. Have been married to my high school sweetheart for 5yrs & we are expecting a baby boy...More

Helpful Tips

36 weeks
Hi, since the secon trimester I have had a lot of pain in the pelvic region and between my legs. Today I lost my mucous plug and have been ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.