Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
39 wks, 1 cm, 25% effaced and FRUSTRATED!
KLN777 posted:
I went to the dr yesterday and for the third week in a row, I am only 1 cm dilated and 25% effaced. Labor just will not come! I have been doing EVERYTHING they've told me to do at the dr's office and more. DH and I have been having sex like we're about to die (we're even talking multiple times in one day), and it is so uncomfortable. I have no idea how many miles I've walked. I've eaten so much spicy food I think I've turned into a dragon, drinking red raspberry leaf tea, and nothing is working! The midwife told me yesterday to try taking evening primrose oil, so I got some of that on the way home yesterday and I'm trying that, too. But this is getting out of control.

I really expected to go into labor early. This baby is killing me. I'm in sooooooo much pain that working is almost unbearable (but for financial reasons, I can't take off any more than my maternity leave, which is unpaid) and I can't sleep at night. It is 4:30 in the morning and despite having taken Tylenol PM (they told me to try that at the dr to help with the pain at night so I can sleep) there is no rest for the weary. I don't know how I can keep going like this. I'm on the verge of tears all the time from exhaustion, frustration, and discomfort (to put it mildly).

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Other than castor oil, b/c I've heard that could cause the baby to pass meconium in utero and that is not something I'm willing to risk, I'll try just about anything. I need this baby out... like a couple of weeks ago.

NatashaT1 responded:
Sorry to hear how frustrated you are. You've only got one more week to go. I hear the exercise ball works well. Move and bounce around on there and it might speed things up. Otherwise just keep up the DTD and walking lol. I guess your LO is saying I'll come when I'm good and ready lol.

1stbabyoct responded:
I know you don't want to hear this, but your due date is probably off-very common.

Try not to stress, stress hormones can block other good hormones like labor hormones.

Hang in there, your baby will come when it is ready.

Keep us posted!!
Counting the days til October!!

KityKatK8 responded:
I hear you so well! I am also 39 weeks today, but since I haven't had any signs of anything, I haven't even been checked, so I don't think I've dialated a smidge.

Also, since I am a VBAC, they won't induce me, and I am hesitent to try too many home remedies to stimulate me. Now that it is cooler the past couple days, I have been out walking DD, which hasn't done much. I have barely had BHC the past week or so!

I would love to go into labor NOW!!!

One thing I am doing, since I don't have an exercise ball is mimicing the act by bouncing - sort of like doing ballet plies! Maybe you could get an exercise ball for work?

GL and I'll look for your birth story eventually!

eliguns841984 responded:
I know that's frustrating, but try to keep in mind a few things: 1- a due date is only an estimation and could be a week or two off. 2- Just because you dilate and efface doesn't mean you're going to deliver as soon as you'd like. A lot of people thin out a lot and dilate several cm but still end up lasting right up to 40 week mark, so although progress is great it's not a guarantee of having baby any sooner. I work with a girl who was preggo at the same time as me with my first LO and she was sitting at 4cm for two weeks! 3- On an even better note, NOT making progress prior to your due date doesn't mean that you can't have the baby any sooner. You could wake up tomorrow in labor and deliver within an hour! Some people start and go through labor very quickly. With DS, I was only 1cm and 25% effaced when my water broke, so the progress I was hoping for wasn't even necessary and the fact that I wasn't any further progressed wasn't an indication of anything!

KLN777 responded:
Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I've passed the time and distracted myself this weekend by cleaning and reorganizing EVERYTHING in my house (every cabinet, every closet, and every other storage area). It's not as good as having this baby, but having everything look so nice is relaxing me and I feel even more ready to bring my little girl home than I already did. I'm still hoping to go into labor tonight so I don't have to work tomorrow!

mommy_a replied to KLN777's response:
Aww honey how are you feeling now? Better I hope??

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Melissa (Missy) and my DH (Ken) and I are expecting our 2nd child with an official due date of 4/10/10. We have a c-section scheduled for 4...More

Helpful Tips

Diapers.com
First off, I super miss this board, I "graduated" 2 months ago! I miss the excitment, so I still come back and read the posts sometimes. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.