Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
My hands...
Sweetpea0916 posted:
My hands are absolutely killing me. I have always had issues with weak wrists and ganglion cysts in the muscles and tendons of my wrists, but this is like nothing I have ever felt. My last visit to the doctor he said I have carpal tunnel due to all the swelling pregnancy causes. My wrist has been hurting for a while, and before the appointment I had this numbness going through my middle and ring finger on my right hand. Since the beginning of my pregnancy I have had an issue with my hands going numb while I am asleep, but now it is all day every day, but worse at night. I am now having problems even opening one of those food storage bags with the seal, or anything that requires the slightest bit of strength to open. If I hold something small between my thumb and first finger, I feel like I am going to drop it. Typing is not a huge issue, thank God because I do a lot of it at work. Now I am starting to have a similar problem with my left hand though. It is really starting to make my life difficult. I couldn't even button my shorts the other day because I had no strength in my hands to do so. I can't tie my shoes...not because my feet are too fat (they are, but I can still manage), not because my belly was in the way (it was, and I was huffing and puffing like a full grown fat man by the time I was done), but because I didn't have the strength in my fingers to tie the little laces!

I am scared if this doesn't go away quickly after Little Man arrives...what the heck am I going to do?!?! My SO has to go right back to work after a day or two, and I have no friends or family here to help me! I am wearing a splint on my right wrist at night and when I am at work, but it doesn't correct the problem, it just keeps my hand from getting these nifty sharp shooting pains from wrist to finger tip. I'd look like a real bozo with one on both wrists, but I think I may have to do that! As if it is not hard enough to sleep right now, try wearing those things!

I just had to whine a little. Thanks.

momtobegrunden responded:
I had the same thing with my first pregnancy. It's awful, isnt it?! I couldn't write (which my job at the time required), I couldn't even brush my teeth for a couple of hours after I woke up, because it hurt too much to grip the toothbrush. Thank goodness, it's not happening this time around.
There is hope, though! For me, it stopped immediately after birth. As soon as I started shedding the water weight and the swelling went down, I was back to normal. I hope yours does the same

lestersgirls responded:
I have the same issue and I wouldn't wish it on anyone! I had this with both DD's and it did go away shortly after birth. I know how hard it is to sleep though! Hang in there.
Steffanie (37),Lester (30), DD1 (8-14-03), DD2 (4-12-05), Angel Baby @6 weeks (6-17-08), Baby Boy Kellan Lester Due 10-12-10!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I met in college in 2000, started dating in 2002 and were married in 2008. We are expecting our first, a son, in May, although I don...More

Helpful Tips

Infantino SlingRider Recalled
I just wanted everyone know that the Infantino slingrider was recalled this morning due to infant deaths. You can read the whole article at ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.