Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Fifth Disease??!!
lestersgirls posted:
Ok, so yesterday, my 5 yr old DD wakes up and has a splotchy rash all over her cheeks and arms. I thought maybe she was having an allergic reaction to something, but thought I better take her in just in case. The doc at the urgent care immediately told me it looked like Fifth Disease. I had never heard of it before. Anyway, apparently, it's common in school age children and starts with a slight cold and then progresses to the rash. She said once the rash shows, they are not contagious anymore. No antibiotics, just let it run it's course. But then she told me to call my OB because it is very dangerous to pregnant women and can harm the fetus!!
So, I called and the doctor on call told me to come in Monday so they could do some bloodwork. He said I've already been exposed since you don't know they have it until it's too late. I did some research on the internet and apparently this can cause fetal hydrops and anemia in the baby.
Anyone have any insight to the risks or dealt with this??
Thanks ladies.
Steffanie (37),Lester (30), DD1 (8-14-03), DD2 (4-12-05), Angel Baby @6 weeks (6-17-08),  Baby Boy Kellan Lester Due 10-12-10!

jessica5289 responded:
My kids had this a while ago and my dr didn't seem to worried. I was in the 2nd tri so that may make a difference. I hope everything works out

1stbabyoct responded:
My nephew had it this summer. Same thing, we didn't know until it was too late.

I was told not to worry unless we had shared cups, kissed on the lips or the like. I guess it is spread through saliva.

Since it was your daughter and you might have had spit swap, that is probably why your dr is going to do the blood work.
Counting the days til October!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me (29), Hubby (35), DD (2), lil man EDD 06/11. I have a bit of a long story, but will try to keep it short. Ever since I can remember, my cycle has n...More

Helpful Tips

36 weeks
Hi, since the secon trimester I have had a lot of pain in the pelvic region and between my legs. Today I lost my mucous plug and have been ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful